Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Reading the Brentfords forums alot actually think Watkins has the higher ceiling. (I was surprised about this too)

@jonjon @Brentfordnylons We all would value your opinions on their potential/ceilings. 

FWIW, and having watched both of them play together many times, I think they are both very good players in their own right, but work very well with each other, it's hard to choose between them as they play different roles on the pitch, I would therefore value them at about the same price, they both have the ability to improve as well, So get the cheque book out buy Benrahma as well, you know it make sense!!! 

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

How much will Brentford really want for him though? They know we have money and love to charge top dollar. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them ask for £40m

No way, He's ranked at the same price as Watkins by Brentford.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

FWIW, and having watched both of them play together many times, I think they are both very good players in their own right, but work very well with each other, it's hard to choose between them as they play different roles on the pitch, I would therefore value them at about the same price, they both have the ability to improve as well, So get the cheque book out buy Benrahma as well, you know it make sense!!! 

I would love benrahma.

But I honestly doubt we have the money to do so now, we need a gk, a cm and a winger as minimum, and i doubt we could spend over 20m on each of those positions, so that's benrahma out straight away.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

I can see why we wanted Watkins before Benrahma. Watkins has more traits you have to have in the PL.

Not that Benrahma isn't an exceptional player of course. We need at least one pacey winger first though. I'd go for Hudson Odoi if Rashica isnt happening. Or Sarr.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

He looks mobile and can find space: things we’ve been lacking up front. Hope he does well.

Also, must say, there are some excellent own goals in that video. 

I don't want him scoring own goals. That will be bad for us!

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Any tories on here with a Times sub? Want to read the full article - 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/ollie-watkins-ticks-most-boxes-for-a-modern-striker-except-top-flight-experience-q0tbvgwfn?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599616897

Eyebrows will be raised at the fee but there is no doubting the talent of the player: Ollie Watkins is about as sure a bet as there is in the Championship. It was a blistering season for the Brentford forward, who is quick, skilful, athletic, intelligent and a scorer of all manner of goals. The 24-year-old ticks most boxes in a modern forward — apart from top-flight experience, hence those questions about that hefty £28 million fee.

I'd imagine this is a trap. Instant ban from VillaTalk incoming for the first person to own up. For the record, I do not have a sub to the times nor am I a Tory.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Thats one huge E...

That's nothing, ever seen the size of "Cake"?  One young kiddie on Cake cried all the water out of his body. Just imagine how his mother felt.

• Like 2

At the behest of the mods...

Full article here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/ollie-watkins-ticks-most-boxes-for-a-modern-striker-except-top-flight-experience-q0tbvgwfn?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599616897

Posted in response to a request for the full article which is not behind a paywall i.e. is free to anyone who simply registers with The Times. 
————————

Eyebrows will be raised at the fee but there is no doubting the talent of the player: Ollie Watkins is about as sure a bet as there is in the Championship. It was a blistering season for the Brentford forward, who is quick, skilful, athletic, intelligent and a scorer of all manner of goals. The 24-year-old ticks most boxes in a modern forward — apart from top-flight experience, hence those questions about that hefty £28 million fee.

It was the £20 million sale of Neal Maupay to Brighton & Hove Albion last summer that prompted a shift into a central role, which neither Watkins nor Brentford could have envisaged being so successful. The pace and trickery to terrify defenders was always there but in the past 12 months Watkins has also shown the knack of finding a yard of space inside the penalty box, of being in the right place at the right time consistently.

Watkins will be under pressure to deliver goals in the Premier League

He uses his frame well to link play with his back to goal, but Watkins is at his most dangerous playing on the defender’s shoulder, splitting the opposition’s back line with clever, incisive runs.

And he can finish. Of his 26 goals last season, 11 were scored with his right foot, seven with his left and eight with his head. None came from the penalty spot. It helps, of course, that Watkins spearheaded the most fearsome forward line in the second tier last season, in a team filled with movement and creativity.

Chances for Villa in the Premier League will be more precious. But those who know Watkins — who spent a half-season on loan at Weston-super-Mare in the Conference South in 2014-15 — say he has the temperament to be a success in the top flight.

Brentford’s remarkable return in the transfer market, meanwhile, has now yielded almost £150 million in player sales since 2014. Exeter, whom Watkins joined as an under-11, can expect a windfall too: the 15 per cent sell-on clause inserted in their sale amounts to more than £4 million.

Edited by GrassyNoel
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

So get the cheque book out buy Benrahma as well, you know it make sense!!! 

It is I guess a credit to the quality of your recruitment and the success of your method that you're the only group of fans I've ever seen that desperately encourage other clubs to take your best players for money!

Brentford are playing this game differently to everyone else.

• Like 1

Happy with this. Certainly looks like attitude is something they've looked at improving. Too many times last season we were too passive. Players like Cash and Watkins, from what I've read, have fantastic attitude and work rate. This is definitely a good thing to my eye. I'm sure it's something @TRO will appreciate and be happy with too! 

• Like 1

Â