Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Absolutely delighted.

Cannot believe the negativity honestly. I think people have forgotten how much players  cost in 2020.

I'm glad he's an intelligent person because the lad will need thick skin this year. People are going to dive on him at every opportunity. Many have piled in clearly without having seen him play. I'd recommend he get off social media and tell his Mrs to be careful. He's got a lot of eyes on him.

4 hours ago, hong0311 said:

Out of the following forwards, where would you rank Ollie?

• Raúl Jiménez £40m
  • Sebastian Haller £45m
  • Ismaïla Sarr £30m
  • Moise Kean £25m
  • Joelinton £40m
  • Ayoze Pérez £30m
  • Alex Iwobi £40m

Good question. He's the second best striker and the second best winger. And he's the second cheapest and definitely on the lowest wage.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Hopefully we get this over the line. He is that good that this fee will be a steal.

I dont understand why fans are complaining about their fee like it’s coming out their wallet..

This is the market for signing players, we will continue to break our transfer record if we want to progress..

Genuine question: is he? 

Would like some unbiased views on his actual qualities, strengths and weaknesses.

He seems to have the right personality, attitude and workrate. Seems a determined lad too (shite, sounds like I’m describing Trez!) but how technically gifted is he and how much prowess does he have (variety of finishing)? Is he good at one on ones for example?

Can he really be a reliable & top striker/goalscorer at PL level?

I know he’s had a great season and scored plenty of goals but he seems like a difficult player/signing to judge as he’s had one excellent season in the Championship (jump up to PL is huge and lesser players have been prolific there) in a new position for one season. He wasn’t much sought after before when he’d been playing wide, maybe he has massively developed?

I don’t have a clue which is why I’m asking but I’d welcome more neutral or balanced views.

Edited by Jas10

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Would like some unbiased views on his actual qualities, strengths and weaknesses.

He seems to have the right personality, attitude and workrate. Seems a determined lad too (shite, sounds like I’m describing Trez!) but how technically gifted is he and how much prowess does he have (variety of finishing)? Is he good at one on ones for example?

Can he really be a reliable & top stroker/goalscorer at PL level?

I know he’s had a great season and scored plenty of goals but he seems like a difficult player/signing to judge as he’s had one excellent season in the Championship (jump up to PL is huge and lesser players have been prolific there) in a new position for one season. He wasn’t much sought after before when he’d been playing wide, maybe he has massively developed?

I don’t have a clue which is why I’m asking but I’d welcome more neutral or balanced views.

BelatedWhiteChital-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

But the reality is we dwarf the lot of them, and they know it when sitting in the dark reflecting on such things 

In the media's mind, we're the club who "almost did a Fulham" last season and spent "140 Million on players not good enough".  Spending a record fee on a Championship player will also fit into that lazy narrative again this season.  Until we start performing well consistently on the pitch, we'll continue to be Fulham 2.0 to most.

7 minutes ago, Exeter Fan said:

That's the first and final straw. I shall leave you all alone now! I cannot be associated with such a person! Ciao, and enjoy our fantastic academy products (ill be back when Chrisene is moving to Barca for 100m!)

If it helps, they lost

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely delighted.

Cannot believe the negativity honestly. I think people have forgotten how much players  cost in 2020.

I'm glad he's an intelligent person because the lad will need thick skin this year. People are going to dive on him at every opportunity. Many have piled in clearly without having seen him play. I'd recommend he get off social media and tell his Mrs to be careful. He's got a lot of eyes on him.

Good question. He's the second best striker and the second best winger. And he's the second cheapest and definitely on the lowest wage.

plotting episode 4 GIF

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

In his season at Villa, Tammy Abraham scored 26 goals in 40 matches.

Last season, Ollie Watkins scored 26 goals in 50 matches.

So using Tammy as a very rough benchmark, we can expect Ollie to score something in the region of 12 goals next year. Something in the region of 7-8 goals will be a poor return, anything over 14-15 will be a very good year.

Lets be honest Brentford held all the cards - They probably got wind of Wesley not being back anytime soon. A relative gamble if we stay up we cover the outlay many times over from the TV Money.

Pretty confident this won't be a disastrous signing - He might not rattle in 26 goals next season - but he is a massive upgrade on any striker on our books.

oh.......has he signed yet ?

Hopefully this goes really well for us and he proves to be an excellent signing.

Hasn't been mentioned much (obv everyone knows though) but he is our record signing and is under major pressure to deliver and do so quickly...

He seems to have the right character and strength of personality to deal with it but the jump up is huge. Let’s help him out by adding more quality around him (& Jack, who will be a big help to him) so that the burden isn’t too heavy.

Dean must have a lot of confidence in his ability to succeed at this level and he knows better (and knows Ollie better) than any of us anyway!

Looking forward to more signings now, we’re well underway...

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

So using Tammy as a very rough benchmark, we can expect Ollie to score something in the region of 12 goals next year. Something in the region of 7-8 goals will be a poor return, anything over 14-15 will be a very good year.

Just to add: this is a very rough guess. His record is like Teemu Pukki and Neal Maupay, who both ended up with 10-11 goals last year... but his record is also a bit like Billy Sharp or Matej Vydra who only managed 2 or 3 when they went up. But something in the region of 9-12 seems like a good expectation from him.

13 minutes ago, Enda said:

In his season at Villa, Tammy Abraham scored 26 goals in 40 matches.

Last season, Ollie Watkins scored 26 goals in 50 matches.

Problem is, it’s not as simple as that is it? You can’t read too much into or have too much faith in stats... there have been a lot of poor players or even “one season wonders” over the years that probably looked good “statistically” but failed to adapt and step up at a higher level or different league/country etc.

You’ve got to look a the quality of players around the striker in question and the level at which he’s played at too. Abraham was surrounded by quality at Chelsea so was always going to get plenty of chances.

It’s just not clear cut at all.

Who knows, he may even turn out better than Tammy? Now that’s an exciting prospect...

All I’ve heard about his personality is very encouraging and, when coupled with talent, is a winning formula.

He’s been at Brentford for a while though and is suited to their system and players, they have long been an attacking & creative outfit and you’d expect decent finishers to thrive there. It’s a much lower level too.

My main concern with him is his technical ability and ability to adapt to a higher level, I’ve not seen anywhere near enough of him to judge him fairly though.

Hopefully it’ll prove to be a masterstroke of a signing 🤞

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Really don't get our strategy sometimes. We've waited weeks seemingly low balling Brentford with bids and now we're signing him for potentially 10m more than most of us predicted (if he does as well as we all hope some of the add ons will be met).

Also with the fee I get the feeling he's our starting striker this year so huge pressure on him to hit the ground running as we need a striker with that sort of price tag to get more than 4 or 5 goals.

Hope he's up to it.

• Like 1

I feel we have overpaid for a Championship striker. But it is what it is I guess. Definitely put a downer on the season ahead. We really needed a proven top level striker and for that money we could have got one. Instead we are ending up with Watkins.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

He's not just about goals though, he links up play and creates chances. If he helps us make it stick up top with some interplay with the other forwards, scores 10+ goals and creates 10 more he'll be a massive success. I don't think he needs to get 15 to be a success, last season our entire group of strikers scored 6 goals, 5 of them Wesley's. I think Watkins and another wide forward could make the world of difference to Wesley too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Enda said:

Just to add: this is a very rough guess. His record is like Teemu Pukki and Neal Maupay, who both ended up with 10-11 goals last year... but his record is also a bit like Billy Sharp or Matej Vydra who only managed 2 or 3 when they went up. But something in the region of 9-12 seems like a good expectation from him.

10 league goals as a minimum imo. Seb Haller was considered a massive flop at West Ham and he scored 7 league goals for West Ham.

Â