Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

13 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If Bournemouth drop, sign Billing.  Big, imposing midfielder perfect for the Championship. Lloyd Kelly is another we could steal from them. By all accounts, Bournemouth are going to be in a financial mess.  

I think there's a good chance a PL club goes for him instead

I thought El Ghazi was mostly rubbish in The Championship, merely played well in the 10 game run and finals.

I see no reason why he will suddenly become a great Championship player next year, and I therefore also don't think Trezeguet will be any good in The Championship. 

We are going to need new wingers for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Great we have to replace the entire team again.

Not sure how we will get promoted without Grealish this time.

Follow the "Moneyball" system. You cant replace Jack with another Jack so you spend funds on 2 or 3 quality players that make the whole team more cohesive resulting in overall team improvement.

Suggestions:

assuming sale of Jack and trez only combined £60m

GK  Heaton, Steer, Nyland

RB  Guilbert, Elmo

RCB Konza, Engels

LCB Mings, Hause   if Mings goes for 25m buy  replacement at 6m keep rest for prem return poss Matt Clarke at Derby.

LB Targett, Taylor

CM Luiz (new contract to keep) McGinn, Nakamba, Hourihane

RM El Ghazi,  jed wallace millwall 4m age 26

CM Eberechi Eze QPR £10-15m age 22, Ovi Ejaria Reading £3m age 22

LM Nicklas Eliasson Bristol city £4m age 24

FW Wesley, Samatta, Davis

plus appearances rom youth prospects during the season.

four in with combined spend £36m from £60m in leaves 24m towards pot when promoted and all four additions young enough to be worth a lot more in a years time so will either be good enough for prem or will be easily sold.

Its all about momentum in the Championship- Huddersfield and Cardiff were both very average yet got promoted. The hard bit as we have found is then trying to stay up.

In the 3 seasons down there I only saw three sides who looked quality at that level and they were Newcastle, Wolves and Sheffield United all of which have managed to stay up. So ideally you need to grind out wins every week and midweek but also have half an eye on the players to think they can make it at a higher level. 

• Like 2

- Bring in new a DOF & Head Coach or a proven promotion winning manager. Ideally I want us to select a top quality head coach and sporting director, upgrading on what we currently have.

- Aim for immediate promotion. No more excuses or downplaying expectations under the guise of long term planning or stability. We will be favourites to win the league/promotion, we need to accept that and embrace it.

- Keeping together the majority of our current squad, especially our better players and improving our attacking options. I, like many others, have accepted Grealish wants to leave the club, we need to fight tooth and nail for all of our other better players!

- I would love for us to start integrating some of our academy prospects next season.

We will come back from this disappointing season and be stronger for it!

Edited by Villa_Vids

Think the short turn around will help us keep a few of our better players such as McGinn and possibly Luiz. 

Disagree with those calling for a total rebuild. Replace the players who will be leaving and add 1 or 2 other pieces. Fill out the squad with academy players and loans. Should be good enough for promotion. Once promoted add 2-3 quality players and that combined with continuity and maturity of our current players should keep us in the PL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

Wonder when they'll announce that the Upper Trinity is closing again, after 10k fans ditch us again.

I think attendances will remain strong. Fans will be itching to get back to watch football again when it's safe to do so and we built up a good core again over last 18 months. I doubt games will struggle to get to general sale like this season but I can see close to 40k if we're in the top 2 early on. We had pretty much sell outs in the run in last season when we were in the play offs.

• Like 1

It is vital we bounce back straight away. And I mean top 2 too. 

With Leeds and Baggies nearly over the line we could do with Brentford or Fulham winning the PO’s. I think if Brentford fail to go up their team will be ripped apart. 

With 3 of those teams out of the league it looks a very average league compared to the last 3 years. 

Recruitment and holding on to players is vital. It’s all good a CEO saying we won’t loan players and now have assets etc. We need to hold on to the ones we want to (minus Jack obvs). 

I am gutted to be back in this league. 

1 hour ago, dcdedi said:

Is there a risk of points deduction in the championship due to backdated FFP or ‘dodgy’ stadium sale? Sheff Wed did similar and they are about to be hit with a points deduction

We were found to be compliant with FFP. Championship ghouls have nothing on Villa. They will be crying about parachute payments again though. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I thought El Ghazi was mostly rubbish in The Championship, merely played well in the 10 game run and finals.

I see no reason why he will suddenly become a great Championship player next year, and I therefore also don't think Trezeguet will be any good in The Championship. 

We are going to need new wingers for me. 

The point you have made above goes across the whole squad imo. We all thought Ayew would tear up the championship having shown flashes in the PL , likewise it was a season later before Grealish started to shine.

That's why IMO we must have a new head coach - relying on the same organisation and coaching methods will feel familiar to the players as will not winning matches.

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We just need to be effective regardless of the type of football we play.

Yep, pick your weapon and stick with it, have a style and shape about us and then be good enough at all levels of the club to drill it in to everyone 

For too long, too many managers, too many players, we have had absolutely no identity 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

A lot of people wanting to be relegated in order to finally won matches. Do you know what that means, we'll get promoted to the premier league and this alllll happens agaon

We're going up, we're going down, we're going up, we're going straight back down  again....

Â