Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We're going up, we're going down, we're going up, we're going straight back down  again....

Take it to the Chubawamba thread ;)

2 hours ago, dcdedi said:

Is there a risk of points deduction in the championship due to backdated FFP or ‘dodgy’ stadium sale? Sheff Wed did similar and they are about to be hit with a points deduction

Maybe if we had been in breach of FFP but we weren't so there is no case to answer. 

If we were in trouble with the EFL they wouldn't have had to have waited for us to be relegated to do something about it, the rules have changed on that, they can now still punish teams after promotion, so if we'd have done someting wrong you would have heard about it by now. And Derby and Sheffield Wednesday aren't in trouble for selling their ground per se, Derby are being investigated because there's a suspicion that they overvalued their stadium and Wednesday put the sale of their ground in the wrong accounts, as long as we haven't done anything like that then we will be okay, and again if there was a suspicion that we had then we would be under investigation now as well as Derby and Wednesday.

small heath also sold their ground, but they're not under investigation either, because the selling of the ground isn't against the rules in of itself.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if you see certain journalists running scare stories trying to claim that we're going to be hit by FFP, becaus they know that fans of other clubs like to hear that kind of thing and it will generate a lot of traffic.

38 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Please please please get a decent manager. Been hugely underwhelmed every time since we appointed Houllier. No ambition = more torture for us (the only people that matter!)

Quite a few managers since then seemed to make sense at the time- I would say Lambert was seen as an ambitious hiring at the time, Bruce steadied the ship, and Smith made sense if not hugely ambitious.

Mcleish, Sherwood, Garde and Robbie Di Matteo made no sense at the time and still doesn't now. I have almost forgotten RDM's time at Villa already.

Edited by The Fun Factory

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Quite a few managers since then seemed to make sense at the time- I would say Lambert was seen as an ambitious hiring at the time, Bruce steadied the ship, and Smith made sense if not hugely ambitious.

Mcleish, Sherwood, Garde and Robbie Di Matteo made no sense at the time and still doesn't now. I have almost forgotten RDM's time at Villa already.

I just don’t agree. We are a massive club, in Britain’s second city. Ambition is to go for someone that has achieved stuff. No disrespect but wtf had Lambert, Bruce or Smith achieved? Sweet fa is the answer

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I just don’t agree. We are a massive club, in Britain’s second city. Ambition is to go for someone that has achieved stuff. No disrespect but wtf had Lambert, Bruce or Smith achieved? Sweet fa is the answer

Lambert had perceived to have done a good job at the carrot crunchers before joining us. That was after the Mcleish season and Lerner starting to lose interest and making cut backs.

Brucey came in after about 18 months of total f**kwittery at Villa, culminating in relegation, followed by a scattergun summer transfer window.

Smith came in our third season of second tier football. As I said some people thought we would go for a bigger name like Henry, the general opinion was fairly postive for Smith given the football he had been coaching at Brentford and that he was a  local lad.

That is the reality. You can go on til the cows come home saying that we are a massive club but we had won bugger all for a quarter of a century and in all probability it will be four years out of five in the championship.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Maybe we’ll be playing Albion next year afterall

I'd love it if one of Leeds or West Brom don't go up. Leeds because allegedly the Qataris are looking at taking them over and Bielsa. West Brom because well for obvious reasons.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Lambert had perceived to have done a good job at the carrot crunchers before joining us. That was after the Mcleish season and Lerner starting to lose interest and making cut backs.

Brucey came in after about 18 months of total f**kwittery at Villa, culminating in relegation, followed by a scattergun summer transfer window.

Smith came in our third season of second tier football. As I said some people thought we would go for a bigger name like Henry, the general opinion was fairly postive for Smith given the football he had been coaching at Brentford and that he was a  local lad.

That is the reality. You can go on til the cows come home saying that we are a massive club but we had won bugger all for a quarter of a century and in all probability it will be four years out of five in the championship.

Even though I didn't want Dean Smith initially I'd stick with him if the only other option is/was Henry. I'm so happy we didn't get post match interviews with every other word being "listen". 

"Listen I think we listen played ok listen. Touches Carraghers leg (ooo matron). Listen oops that's not your leg listen".... 

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

4 years out of 5 in the Championship because we have shown zero ambition. Sell the vision and they will come. We have been massively constrained by our own limited thinking. It’s small time I’m afraid.

• Like 2

If we are relegated I do think there’s a plan for it. Not because it’s by design but the ownership accommodated for the possibility of it. A second rebuild was going to happen no matter how this season ended. If we can retain some of the squad, we’d be better equipped, and I don’t foresee a situation where £140m is wasted on average Championship talent or an abundance of loans. 

There has to be a play style and direction that prioritises promotion right away. This means ambition on the pitch and off of it. This club has floundered for years because of that. I do believe we have it, not the ideal version, but we are so much better off than before. Losing players will happen regardless of league position, it may even force a new way of thinking, the play style is too focused on Grealish, and for all his talents, it’s not worked due to the step up in league but also trying to accommodate a particular play style around him. 

It can happen. I do think we can get promoted within a season. But the above criteria has to be met and some of the deluded average players are sold off too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont bournmouth have problems with efl as well? I swear i read somewhere they did something dodgy years ago?

They got fined while they were in the premier league, same as Leicester.

Bournemouth will have to have a massive fire sale as their wages to income ratio must be insane given they get just 10k crowds.

Â