Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Keeping heaton konsa luiz and mcginn is key for me. The new spine of the team

Keep targett, keep along with wesley. Id keep jota as he has proven he can do it at Premier League level.

El ghazi trez elmo taylor nyland samatta lansbury can all go

Robot Reaction GIF

• Like 1

This is a strange season to be relegated, as the impact on the transfer market and demand for our players is hard to ascertain with any certainty. I highly suspect that Grealish, McGinn and Mings will find Premier League suitors, and I think Engels, Luiz and Trezeguet will likely move on also for different reasons. Beyond that, I think the next most likely player to leave would be Heaton. Despite the injury he is clearly a Premier League quality keeper and at the very least I could see one of the promoted teams taking a look at him.

Before any signings, we could be looking at a starting XI something like this.

Nyland / Steer

Guilbert Konsa Hause Targett

Nakamba

Jota Lansbury Hourihane El Ghazi

Wesley

If that is anywhere near accurate, then we need a central midfielder on top of the winger(s) we are already crying out for most urgently. I don't know how much the likes of Ramsey and Vassilev can contribute, but someone with real pace would be ideal.  After that, we are light at centre back but should have enough to be competitive everywhere else. We may not even lose as many players as I think, but if we do I feel we're in a better position than when we last got relegated.

• Like 1

I don't see how we can do so much activity in terms of changing manager , sporting director, players in and players out in a quick turnaround. Dates of August 29th and September 12th been put about for next season starts for the championship

4 minutes ago, rjenkins said:

This is a strange season to be relegated, as the impact on the transfer market and demand for our players is hard to ascertain with any certainty. I highly suspect that Grealish, McGinn and Mings will find Premier League suitors, and I think Engels, Luiz and Trezeguet will likely move on also for different reasons. Beyond that, I think the next most likely player to leave would be Heaton. Despite the injury he is clearly a Premier League quality keeper and at the very least I could see one of the promoted teams taking a look at him.

Nyland / Steer

Nakamba

Wesley

If that is anywhere near accurate, then we need a central midfielder on top of the winger(s) we are already crying out for most urgently. I don't know how much the likes of Ramsey and Vassilev can contribute, but someone with real pace would be ideal.  After that, we are light at centre back but should have enough to be competitive everywhere else. We may not even lose as many players as I think, but if we do I feel we're in a better position than when we last got relegated.

In my opinion it would be silly to get rid of Heaton luiz and mcginn. We might as well accept being a pathetic championship club like blose. 

We dont need to sell them. If we get 100m for grealish mings and trez thats all we need for ffp and some money to adf some quality players to the existing squad.  Get gayle and che adams. Along with davis and wesley we easily have the best attackers. 

Wed add a couple wingers  a cm and a cb and we are ready.

I really dont think we need more than 6 players

7 minutes ago, rjenkins said:

Nyland / Steer

Nakamba

Wesley

Wow, if that was the starting line up for us next season i would fear a double drop to League 1! Truly shocking and little wonder we have failed to stay up looking at that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In my opinion it would be silly to get rid of Heaton luiz and mcginn. We might as well accept being a pathetic championship club like blose. 

We dont need to sell them. If we get 100m for grealish mings and trez thats all we need for ffp and some money to adf some quality players to the existing squad.  Get gayle and che adams. Along with davis and wesley we easily have the best attackers. 

If you think Grealish and Trezeguet and Mings are worth are a combined 100 million, what are they worth individually for you to arrive at that figure ? If somebody out there is stupid enough to pay us the 20 million we paid Bournemouth for that dosser, id snap their hand off. Are we still living in cloud cuckoo land with the Grealish 50 - 60 million talk. Guy was a disgrace last night. Performance and attitude were horrendous. Trezeguet ? I wouldn't insult a team asking for a fee for him. I'll ask you this. Grealish is a stand out player in a poor team. Cantwell a stand out player in a poor team. Neither capped internationally at senior level. Both about to be relegated. There is nobody, absolutely nobody talking about 50 60 ( or some drinking the deluded juice on here with 80 million talk about Grealish ) when it comes to Cantwell. Wait, i should apologise, Jack is the proud owner of the most useless stat in football. Most fouled player. All the points that puts on the board for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

If you think Grealish and Trezeguet and Mings are worth are a combined 100 million, what are they worth individually for you to arrive at that figure ? If somebody out there is stupid enough to pay us the 20 million we paid Bournemouth for that dosser, id snap their hand off. Are we still living in cloud cuckoo land with the Grealish 50 - 60 million talk. Guy was a disgrace last night. Performance and attitude were horrendous. Trezeguet ? I wouldn't insult a team asking for a fee for him. I'll ask you this. Grealish is a stand out player in a poor team. Cantwell a stand out player in a poor team. Neither capped internationally at senior level. Both about to be relegated. There is nobody, absolutely nobody talking about 50 60 ( or some drinking the deluded juice on here with 80 million talk about Grealish ) when it comes to Cantwell. Wait, i should apologise, Jack is the proud owner of the most useless stat in football. Most fouled player. All the points that puts on the board for us.

Im glad your not edens or sawiris then as you would probably bankrupt our club! Why would we sell grealish less than 40m? Why would sell mings less than we paid for him?

Trez was 12m so we might get around 7-8m for him. He is still a Egyptian international and not very old either.

The prices your suggesting at selling at is madness.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't see how we can do so much activity in terms of changing manager , sporting director, players in and players out in a quick turnaround. Dates of August 29th and September 12th been put about for next season starts for the championship

Which is why those saying going down isn't a disaster is so frustrating , the teams going down are going to be in a total mess as they try and reconfigure the squads to go again within a few weeks with a limited preseason.It's also likely that transfer fee's will be lower so as we will need to balance the books we are going to be forced to sell under value...they only cavet is FFP being suspended to allow us to take loss's and hope the owners will take another hit to their pockets to fund us.

Chances are we will start the season with players we can't keep and not able to bring in what we want it will be just like the last time...Keep Smith for continuity ? That continuity is a team that keeps losing.If we go down and he stays for me 10 games max if we are struggling he has to go we simply can no afford to spend 3 years down again when currently next season will have no fans so revenue is already massively compromised  

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't disagree with you, I was just trying to speculate which of our players would generate transfer interest. I also tend to want to start from the worst case scenario and anything else is a bonus.

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Which is why those saying going down isn't a disaster is so frustrating , the teams going down are going to be in a total mess as they try and reconfigure the squads to go again within a few weeks with a limited preseason.It's also likely that transfer fee's will be lower so as we will need to balance the books we are going to be forced to sell under value...they only cavet is FFP being suspended to allow us to take loss's and hope the owners will take another hit to their pockets to fund us.

Chances are we will start the season with players we can't keep and not able to bring in what we want it will be just like the last time...Keep Smith for continuity ? That continuity is a team that keeps losing.If we go down and he stays for me 10 games max if we are struggling he has to go we simply can no afford to spend 3 years down again when currently next season will have no fans so revenue is already massively compromised  

A perfect example scott parker. They kept him even with best squad he cant get in top two. I dont even think Smith would do what worker has.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im glad your not edens or sawiris then as you would probably bankrupt our club! Why would we sell grealish less than 40m? Why would sell mings less than we paid for him?

Trez was 12m so we might get around 7-8m for him. He is still a Egyptian international and not very old either.

Every club  globally has lost cash due to Covid  prices will be affected .If it comes to us being docked points under FFP or sell Jack for 40mil then he is being sold.

On flip side we may benefit when it comes to buying players as no one in the championship will have any cash with no fans.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

A perfect example scott parker. They kept him even with best squad he cant get in top two. I dont even think Smith would do what worker has.

Also of the 3 that went down at best 1 will go up and then only in the play offs ..people expecting an easy ride to come back up are not accepting the reality.Look where Stoke and Boro are currently as prime example

33 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Wow, if that was the starting line up for us next season i would fear a double drop to League 1! Truly shocking and little wonder we have failed to stay up looking at that.

I'm in two minds about it. It's a big drop off in quality from where we are currently, but how much worse it is than say Cardiff's squad for example who are in a play-off spot currently?

At the end of the day we'll be going into a very unpredictable off-season. It could be nowhere near as as bad as that in terms of player departures. If it is I don't think we should be making excuses either. 

38 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Yet it's better than what we had when we went up last season.... 

15 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I predicted this would happen to my daughter before the game.

I was worried JG wouldn't perform as why would you try to make you're new team lose and thus potentially damage their push for Champs League which would directly affect you personally the following season? Of course we all view him as one of us but it appears he has moved on now to me. We all know from his antics over the Lockdown and previously that so long as JG is having a good time you can stuff everyone else...& that includes the club he supported as a lad clearly. He was the captain of this club when he did that little number in lockdown so clearly to him JG > AVFC. So do you really think he'd shoot himself & his new club in the foot next season by trying to take 3 points off them last night. I didn't think he would pre-game... no surprise to me he didn't turn up.

If i was Smith i would not have played Grealish last night (assuming he is indeed off as appears to be abundantly clear) instead i would have used the "He picked up a knock" lie they usually use in these circumstances... possibly a naive managerial decision from him in my view.

The quality of the championoooiinooinoinonoononishiopsssioop is really poor, if our owners are still heavily invested in making a success of us then I think we will be in a good position to give it a good go, as long as they're backing us then we will have a big advantage over pretty much every other team, most crucial thing to get right is the manager.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yet it's better than what we had when we went up last season.... 

Hmmmn ....I'm not so sure

No Abraham, a true goalscorer or Tuanzebe for me our second best defender last season, same keepers effectively due to Heatons injury and although we have Reina on loan he is not what he used to be. Most games have seen the Norwegian playing "catch the hot potato too".  Then we have duds in Jota & Trez & a few others, Targett has been average at best and we lack the drive of Hutton Jedinak & Whelan even, although i appreciate their legs had gone at Prem level. Grealish, Hourihane, Mings, Davies, Hause, Elghazi, Taylor & McGinn still there too.

I actually think there was a tougher centre to that team.

What has killed us is the injury to Heaton &.....

Abraham / Tuanzebe / Whelan / Hutton / Jedinak  > Wesley / Hause / Nakamba / Targett / Luiz

Luiz appears to have improved since Lockdown but too little too late.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

And you have an over inflated opinion of our players. I never said sell mings for less. I said if we got what we paid for him, id take it. Can you honestly keep a 40 million  pound asset ( and i guarantee you right now if we are relegated, it's what we'll get for Grealish ) on the books, in the championship + he won't want to be here. Trezeguet comment made in jest but he is absolutely crap.

Â