Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Oh joy, back to being the big brawny bully that can beat the weak kids in gym class because he's been held back 2 years.

Competing against clubs with a fraction of our financial muscles. It's Usain Bolt at the special Olympics.

At least Usain Bolt is going to win 100% of the time. Do people forget the fact that we actually spent 3 years in the championship and almost spent one more?

Well at the least we are in a MUCH better position than the last time we went down. 

Grealish will go but will bring in a substantial fee. Mings and Luiz are also likely to move on but again will bring it decent fees, if we do manage to keep them both are head and shoulders above championship quality.

Keep Guilbert and Targett with either Hause/Mings & Engels/Konsa we'll have one of if not the best back 4 in the league. 

Hopefully we'll get another season out of McGinn as he's petered out after a good start to the season. Nakamba may go but would be fine for the championship: A midfield of Nakamba/Luiz, Mcginn & Hourihane would be excellent at that level.

Wesley and Samatta have done it at a higher level and is a good opportunity to settle and find their feet, Davis is fine as an option as well.

Add in some recruitment/loans and maybe even try a few youngsters (I'd also prefer to see a new manager) and I'm not dreading it anywhere near as much as last time.

• Like 3

Just now, messi11 said:

well show me your team then 

angry chill out GIF by Noam Sussman

I wasn’t having a pop!

I just don’t see those players wanting to stick around  and anticipate there’ll be other top flight clubs willing to take them off us. 

Out of our ‘useful’ players I think we’ll retain Heaton (unless he still has designs on his England career), Konsa, Engels (if we ever get to see him play again), Samatta, Nakamba and hopefully Guilbert. 

we’ll still have Hourihane, Davis, Steer and Hause who can do a job in division 2.

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Wonder when they'll announce that the Upper Trinity is closing again, after 10k fans ditch us again.

Since at least part of next season will be behind closed doors anyway I don't see this as an issue.

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Wonder when they'll announce that the Upper Trinity is closing again, after 10k fans ditch us again.

They can keep it open, to allow social distancing.😉

Going to be a quick turnaround, season starting maybe in September? To play 46 games plus cup games with one less month will be mental. It should therefore be an advantage for clubs like us who should have deeper squads than our rivals who don't have the parachute payments. In theory.

Due to that I will be surprised therefore if we do a major squad rebuild, I don't think we will have the time.Granted the high profile players will be sold off but the bulk of this side will be kicking next season to the likes of Cardiff away and  QPR at home. It feels like we haven't had a chance to take  a breadth as a football clubs since the play off final defeat in 2018. It felt too quick and unexpected last year when we got promoted. We were not ready.

In my more reflective moments I do wonder if it would be better if we were not weighed down by our glorious past and magnificent stadium. Lots of  bog standard clubs brush off relegation and bounce between the divisions, but relegation for us  creates existential angst.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I don't really care who goes, would probably do us good to have a good clear out anyway, buiding a new side and still being competitve isn't as hard in the championship as it is in the premier league, as long as you sign top players realiively better than most others in the league, which should be our aim, and have a top manager coaching them, then you have a good chance of a top two finish.

8 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

That’s where my current season ticket is 😆

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Going to be a quick turnaround, season starting maybe in September? To play 46 games plus cup games with one less month will be mental. It should therefore be an advantage for clubs like us who should have deeper squads than our rivals who don't have the parachute payments. In theory.

In my more reflective moments I do wonder if it would be better if we were not weighed down by our glorious past and magnificent stadium. Lots of  bog standard clubs brush off relegation and bounce between the divisions, but relegation for us  creates existential angst.

I'm glad we have our glorious past, I enjoyed a fair bit of it. 😉

• Like 1

Oh well, as I said earlier.

I feel this squad was signed with one eye on the Championship.

They are more than good enough for the Championship IMO.

So, we clear what's left of the deadwood.

Sell Jack l(If he is still wanted) and reinvest that money into -

- Keeping Luiz at all costs

- A big strong Midfield enforcer 

- 2 ACTUAL wingers.

- 2 Fullbacks.

- Mings? (unsure)

EDIT: basically keep our best players (Aside from Jack).

If/when we are hopefully coming straight back up (But this is Villa, anything is possible). Hopefully we have learned from our mistakes, have a stronger squad and mentality, then we can invest in 4 or 5 high quality players. Instead of a whole squad or "Honest bunch of lads".

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

If Bournemouth drop, sign Billing.  Big, imposing midfielder perfect for the Championship. Lloyd Kelly is another we could steal from them. By all accounts, Bournemouth are going to be in a financial mess.  

• Like 2

We're back, but hopefully back with a completely new team.

Need to get our recruiting pants on now we know where we heading.

Seriously the fight in our players turns my stomach and makes me feel like hurling in every direction projectile like, I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a team before as I am in our lot.

I hope to god the people responsible for this season mess start leaving Villa soon and a message is sent by a clear out, can't keep this lot at Villa we will just e d up in trouble in the championship.

Edited by Dave-R

Let’s hope the owners have a plan for the summer, and it is executed quickly. Not saying Smith is a complete dud, but Wolves’ current owners made a couple of terrible appointments before finding Nuno (with the help of Mendes no doubt). 

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh well, as I said earlier.

I feel this squad was signed with one eye on the Championship.

They are more than good enough for the Championship IMO.

So, we clear what's left of the deadwood.

Sell Jack l(If he is still wanted) and reinvest that money into -

- Keeping Luiz at all costs

- A big strong Midfield enforcer 

- 2 ACTUAL wingers.

- 2 Fullbacks.

- Mings? (unsure)

EDIT: basically keep our best players (Aside from Jack).

If/when we are hopefully coming straight back up (But this is Villa, anything is possible). Hopefully we have learned from our mistakes, have a stronger squad and mentality, then we can invest in 4 or 5 high quality players. Instead of a whole squad or "Honest bunch of lads".

I sont believe they are good enough for the championship, i really dont, there heads will drop just like in the premier, there's no fight in them whatsoever.

Keep this squad and we will sink lower than the championship I think, keep the coach and his staff and certainly see us lower than league 1.

I'm not even sure a change in the coach could bring these guys into the game again, we have to many failures and our frontline will be found out even in the championship.

At most I would certainly get rid of our strikers and Wingers and start again there, they are to weak for championship level. Everyone will start jumping to there defence saying to give our obismal players a chance in the championship, they don't deserve no chances they used them all on this season.

Agree with keeping Luiz, 2-3 wingers most definitely, agree on your midfielder and certainly think we need a couple more defenders and need to add strikers who can score.

We need to sell Jack in order for us to start playing as a team again, this whole one army notion has to stop, sell him, reinvest wisely. Sell Mcginn also and certainly get rid of Ghazi, jota, Trezegeut and Nakamba.

We will also need another cdm if we get rid of Nakamba.

Edited by Dave-R

Â