Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

2 minutes ago, deeps said:

If we don’t come back, automatically, first time of asking.... it’s a real disaster. 

Automatic promotion ain't happening.

Not with this manager. Not with these players.

Very little quality in this squad once Luiz and Jack is off. We don't have enough firepower to push for the automatics and i don't trust us to get the recruitment right.

4 hours ago, Villa94 said:

the leeds and west brom sides arent all that id be hoping if we do get relegated that we get automatic promotion.......every season we have had in the championship has been a struggle..........if we keep everyone bar grealish and mings we should win the championship surely

I expect both to go straight back down not even sure West Brom will even get up

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I expect both to go straight back down not even sure West Brom will even get up

Baggies will come up I reckon. Be shocked if they don’t. 

We're in much better shape than we were last time we went down, but it really would be nice to make a serious push for the top two for once, because we never did that really in the three years we were down there.

• Like 2

With the money we will have available and presuming that we don't lose every single one of our decent players,  and having watched quite a bit of championship football this season we really shouldn't be scared of anyone in that division, regardless of who comes up or doesn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't really think so.

Except for Luiz and Jack i think there is very little quality in this team.

I'm not saying we're stacked with quality or anything (which relegated teams are?), just that we're not going into it off the back of one of the worst performances in Premier League history and that things are in a better place off the field. Also, although our squad obviously isn't great, it's still better than when we went down last time, even without Luiz and Grealish (who we'll make a lot of money off of).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I'm not saying we're stacked with quality or anything (which relegated teams are?), just that we're not going into it off the back of one of the worst performances in Premier League history and that things are in a better place off the field. Also, although our squad obviously isn't great, it's still better than when we went down last time, even without Luiz and Grealish (who we'll make a lot of money off of).

It all depends on who stays and who goes.

In a scenario where Mings, McGinn, Jack and Luiz goes we are is serious trouble.

This relegation is an absolute disaster for the football club. Massively slows down our building progress. Basically losing half our foundations and have to rebuild.

We really need to be like the proper big clubs who have been relegated Newcastle and West Ham and just come straight back up 1st year. 

It's what people were expecting last time but we were nearly the worst team in PL history.  Lost our best players (of which there were very few) and then spent shit loads on many really poor / really inappropriate players. 

We've just beaten 1 and gone toe to toe with 2 decent mid table PL teams.  We are not much short of being a half decent PL team.  So so very different to our last relegated team. 

We will lose our very best player but have the kind of spending power other Championship teams could not even begin to match.  If we spend even half decent this year we should be in good shape. 

The outstanding teams currently in the Championship will be gone and whoever comes down with us shouldn't be any better than us. 

Fingers crossed we should be OK for a swift return but boy is The Championship an unforgiving slog. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I think we’ll do well.

I think Heaton will stay, and will be quality. No one will want him at his age, after a bad injury.

I think Hause, Konsa and Engels will be good enough, likewise Targett, Guilbert, Taylor and Elmo.

Hourihane, Nakamba and El Ghazi can do a job at that level. Even Wesley, Samatta and Davis will probably be good enough to fight it out for one striking position.

Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Luiz will go. Trezeguet too, if rumours are to be believed. Those will bring in over £150m.

We then just need a couple of decent goal-scoring wingers, a CM, a DM and probably an AMC. Though some of those roles could probably be doubled up into one player.

I’d be tempted to use a chunk of our incoming money to bring in some proven players from down there.

Karlan Ahearne-Grant. 22 year old winger for Huddersfield. 18 goals, 4 assists.

Bryan Mbeumo. 20 year old winger for Brentford. 15 goals, 7 assists. (If they don’t get promoted).

Andre Ayew? I know he’s no spring chicken at 30, but he’s got 15 goals and 6 assists and might not want to stay at a mid-table Swansea side.

Then, of course, there’s Benrahma and Eze. But I think both will be in the Prem next season, with or without their current clubs.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Automatic promotion ain't happening.

Not with this manager. Not with these players.

Very little quality in this squad once Luiz and Jack is off. We don't have enough firepower to push for the automatics and i don't trust us to get the recruitment right.

You are clueless mate. You clearly know nothing about football. I have asked you this before and you ignored me but have you ever been to Villa Park?

If we kept this squad together we would walk the Championship. Heaton, Targett, Mings, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish, Wesley would all be the best players in their position in the Championship. There’s no reason to think that any player will leave apart from Jack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

You are clueless mate. You clearly know nothing about football. I have asked you this before and you ignored me but have you ever been to Villa Park?

If we kept this squad together we would walk the Championship. Heaton, Targett, Mings, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish, Wesley would all be the best players in their position in the Championship. There’s no reason to think that any player will leave apart from Jack.

I think our best players will go, but I think we’ll get good money for them.

Jack is off, and chances are Luiz will either go to Man City (especially with this 9 subs rule) or have interest from other clubs. 

I think Mings and McGinn will feel that they’re both Premier League players, and I don’t think we’ll stand in their way - but I think we’ll want top dollar for them. 

Grealish £65m? Luiz £25m? McGinn £25m? Mings £30m? Maybe more. Who knows. I’d be really interested to see our owners thoughts. They might dig their heels in and ask for more money than people are willing to pay for Mings & McGinn, and they could stay. It’s hard to say.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I admire your sentiment but Citeh have already stated they may bring Luiz back (translated as we didn't agree to this glorified loan to see him develop in The Championship) watch him get bought back then sold with buy back to another PL team. 

Mings will also go.  Possibly McGinn, depends how people view his early season pre injury and subsequent post injury performances. 

However any one of them going will enable us to buy 2 top quality championship level replacements. 

Our success next season will largely rest on whether we can keep our key players i reckon.

Greenish is gone, I accept that, but we need to reinvest that money in some quality wingers and a DM/MC.

We then need to give some tough love out and do everything we need to to keep our other players like Heaton, mcginn, mings, engels, konsa, targett, Luiz, Wesley, guilbert, nakamba, samatta......all of whom will be class or of a good squad level in the champ.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It all depends on who stays and who goes.

In a scenario where Mings, McGinn, Jack and Luiz goes we are is serious trouble.

This relegation is an absolute disaster for the football club. Massively slows down our building progress. Basically losing half our foundations and have to rebuild.

Do you think it will be difficult to replace half a team in the close season and still try to compete?

Just now, Rob182 said:

I think our best players will go, but I think we’ll get good money for them.

Jack is off, and chances are Luiz will either go to Man City (especially with this 9 subs rule) or have interest from other clubs. 

I think Mings and McGinn will feel that they’re both Premier League players, and I don’t think we’ll stand in their way - but I think we’ll want top dollar for them. 

Grealish £65m? Luiz £25m? McGinn £25m? Mings £30m? Maybe more. Who knows. I’d be really interested to see our owners thoughts. They might dig their heels in and ask for more money than people are willing to pay for Mings & McGinn, and they could stay. It’s hard to say.

Our owners have been clear from day 1. They want to restore us to the very top. They have backed this up with their investment so far. What has changed?

We can hold on to all of our players if they back us. We only sell if we get ridiculous offers. The only player that we are likely to get a ridiculous offer for is Grealish and even that is looking more unlikely. We have suffered this year from lack of stability. I doubt we will open the door to that again.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Greenish is gone, 

Absolutely no need for that whatsoever. 

It's been an absolute privilege to watch him play for us and play for us well beyond what any normal professional of his ability would do. 

Â