Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

As a championship club we will able to sign the very best players relative to that division, so changing a large chunk of the team won't be so much of a problem. Albion have five or six different players in their current line up compared to last season, I think Brentford are the same, and Wolves and when they got promoted compared to the previous season.

It would be nice to really trounce the noses.  Most recent games we've won but it's been a nervy close affair.  Want to go back to a real thrashing please. 

9 hours ago, sne said:

If we go down I want us to go for players who are too good for the Championship rather than players who can do a job in the Championship.

We have the money to be able to do this, hopefully we have the smarts too.

By definition players who are too good for the championship do not sign for championship teams. 

You may get a player on deadline day who you perceive is too good for the championship but only because a PL team has not come in for them.

Unless you get a player who is happy to pick up mega bucks and I mean massively over what anyone in the PL is willing to pay him to play in a lower league, and then I would question his motive/desire. 

We will only get the best of the championship or else the will be in the PL. 

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

We're in much better shape than we were last time we went down, but it really would be nice to make a serious push for the top two for once, because we never did that really in the three years we were down there.

Probably because we never actually built a team, we just kept buying the 'best players' in each position. Top strikers ?- McCormack, Kodjia, lets get them. Top midfielders for goals and assists? Hourihane, Lansbury, get them in.

No thought how it would all work in practice, hence the over reliance on individual moments of quality to win us games rather than good team performances.

We were pretty disjointed for most of last season as well, it just somehow fell into place for that crazy winning streak and subsequent playoff win. 

17 hours ago, sne said:

If we go down I want us to go for players who are too good for the Championship rather than players who can do a job in the Championship.

We have the money to be able to do this, hopefully we have the smarts too.

I agree. I think we need to offload samatta come the summer and with the grealish momey get gayle and che adams. Those two would give us best attack in league along with wes and davis.

Then we need to for some quality wingers. 

Keep heaton luiz konsa mcginn

Mings not bothered if he goes or stays. El ghazi trez can go along with taylor

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. I think we need to offload samatta come the summer and with the grealish momey get gayle and che adams. Those two would give us best attack in league along with wes and davis.

The same Che Adams with the same amount of goals this season as Samatta with over twice the games and a preseason

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The same Che Adams with the same amount of goals this season as Samatta with over twice the games and a preseason

The same che adams who absolutely smashed the championship under a woeful blose team and the samatta who looks absolute dog shit?

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The same che adams who absolutely smashed the championship under a woeful blose team and the samatta who looks absolute dog shit?

Smashed the Championship? You make him sound like Ronaldo

34 goals in 116 games 😂😂😂 1 lucky season. Another Hogan 

• Like 3

I think our over-reliance on the loan market in our last few seasons down there really came back to bite us when we went up. I would like to see a very serious cap on loan players unless they have purchase options attached. It's well overdue for the Villa to start to build a strong stable squad around a recognisable style that will help us transition back into the premier league and hit the ground running when we get there.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If scoring goals for blose is the main requirement we  can just keep Hogan.

Samatta dog shit , I would say he started off ok and got worse as season has gone on not helped by us using him as a targett man to hold the ball up which is clearly not his game.

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

If scoring goals for blose is the main requirement we  can just keep Hogan.

Samatta dog shit , I would say he started off ok and got worse as season has gone on not helped by us using him as a targett man to hold the ball up which is clearly not his game.

Id rather have che adams than samatta. A guy that looks nowhere near scoring a goal.  He looks hopeless. He loses thw ball constantly runs into nowhere land. He reminds me so much if Scott hogan

Genuinely really looking forward to championship next year.

I've been disillusioned with the PL since long before our relegation. The top four push before being blown out the water by city and almost bankrupted just emphasised the pointlessness of it all. We'll never win it, even with sugar daddy owners, we will never be allowed to win it with FFP. Top level football really is set up to protect the status quo these days.

On top of all that, VAR has genuinely ruined football for me. I haven't celebrated a goal properly all year, waiting for some nonsense review before I can accept it. Totally ripped the emotion out of it.

While we would be angry at wrong decisions before that could always be accepted as human error, but to have obviously wrong decisions upheld after five minutes and ten camera angles just sends me into apoplectic rage.

I just want to watch my team play good entertaining football. Maybe win a title (playoff or championship feel just as good at the time) rather than a best case scenario of plodding along to a top six finish while sacrificing any cup runs time and again.

The fact we have that to look forward to in a league as relentless and competitive as the championship. Playing twice a week every week and without VAR is great. I'm looking forward to it

I said it before but it's just a shame being in EFL long term isn't financially sustainable and the prize for winning it is going back to the horror show that is the Premier League

Edited by ramshackler
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id rather have che adams than samatta. A guy that looks nowhere near scoring a goal.  He looks hopeless. He loses thw ball constantly runs into nowhere land. He reminds me so much if Scott hogan

And Che Adams 1 goal in 25 this season is the answer? Hogan actually has a better Championship scoring record

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Absolutely no need for that whatsoever. 

It's been an absolute privilege to watch him play for us and play for us well beyond what any normal professional of his ability would do. 

You know that's just an auto spell error right?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Then we need to for some quality wingers. 

Keep heaton luiz konsa mcginn

Mings not bothered if he goes or stays. El ghazi trez can go along with taylor

I really don’t understand this. You remember what happened last time we were in the Championship? We bought a load of championship players, struggled at that level and then had to rebuild the entire team to stand a chance in the PL.

Why on earth would we spend good money on players like Adams and Gayle when they have performed worse in the PL then our existing strikers? We need to keep our best players and supplement them with other players, in key positions where we have struggled this year (right back, centre mid and wide forward), who have at least a chance of making the step up when we get promoted. We really hashed it up last time. We don’t want to make the same mistakes again!

• Like 1

We are going into the season with no prolific goalscorers. Barely any creativity in the team

You are an absolute fool if you think we will walk it.

It will be a battle for top 6. We may go up through the play offs again. This is assuming that Smith stays.

Obviously if we get in a competent manager that changes things.

Edited by villalad21

Lose Samatta, El Ghazi, Trez if possible. 

Mings + Grealish I expect to leave.

Disappointed/gutted to lose McGinn + Luiz.

Heaton, Guilbert, Hause, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, Hourihane, McGinn.

Really not sure about the attack but if we can somehow start with this defence and midfield going into next season I'd be overjoyed.

Â