New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

19 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

He has the dressing room right now, ya think ? Great to see the elitist snob mob of our fanbase are alive and well. Dyche's team 23 points ahead of us ( yes you read that right ) and " no not good enough for the mighty Villa who haven't won't a trophy 24 years ". I'd say the group here who label his football as boring are too lazy to actually sit down and watch them and form an opinion of their own. They arguably play much better football than out lot, it's just Dean sells you a pipe dream. Played some fantastic football in the last week. Wing backs that attack. Zero ego. Genuineness and honesty. They don't try and con anyone. A team is their manager. 

I didn't know there was an elitist snob mob in our fanbase and that I was part of that! I don't know if DS has the dressing room, but I guess so, at least I have seen fighting spirit in the last two games.

I have a lot of respect for Dyche, he has worked wonders with a small budget, like I have respect for Tony Pulis (less so for Bruce and McLeich, but that's more emotional) but I still dont think any of them should be our long term manager. I think my assessment of Burnley is quite fair and at least earlier in the season was backed up by their stats. They win games on having two big lumps up front (one in Woods I'd like us to have by the way) and on set pieces. They are also a nasty side and I have very little respect for Ben Mee and Tarkowski. I don't want Villa players to behave like they do. As you say a team is their manager.

I think many people can make a case that for example a Bruce team scores many goals and are efficient, genuin, honest, at times play good football etc. I still dont want him and that style of play to be the long term style of Villa. Could be that Dyche play this way because of the limited resources, which if so is clever, and that he would play another way if he had more resources and better players. If so good enough, but I wouldn't bet on it and I judge him on what I see.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

I've never posted in this thread as I've always backed Smith, but its frankly embarrassing that this thread is on the front page just days before such a big match.

Lack of respect, should be locked and moved to other football - at least until Sunday evening.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Junxs said:

I've never posted in this thread as I've always backed Smith, but its frankly embarrassing that this thread is on the front page just days before such a big match.

Lack of respect, should be locked and moved to other football - at least until Sunday evening.

Tbh unless we do a forest and completely implode i think they will stick with smith even if we go down.

On 21/07/2020 at 23:01, sne said:

Ralf Ragnick not going to AC Milan after all apparently.

Didn't see that news!

Get him in as director of football!

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whoever is manager of Atalanta. What the hells going on?

One of the best sides to watch I've ever seen. They cause utter mayhem with every attack, relentless.

Don't think Gasperini will want to move on, even for a huge job. This team clicking as it has is the culmination of years of work for him.

Their recruitment is incredible, don't know who's in charge of all that but we could try and get someone from behind the scenes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whoever is manager of Atalanta. What the hells going on?

Gasperini is a good manager but didn't do so well at Inter. Atalanta is a slickly run club and the profit they make from the youth team is crazy. They must rake in 20-30 million a summer in youth players transfers

We need to copy teams like Celtic, Atalanta, Ajax and make our own model instead of overspending

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 09:08, M_Afro said:

I just think that this a risky strategy Dave. We all assume that because a guy has worked well at a small club with limited funds, that he will instantly join a bigger club, with greater funds and be a success. The problem is, it is a different job with different demands and pressures. The only way of mitigating this risk is to appoint someone who has already experienced a similar situation and been successful. 

I can't help but think 'Lambert' all over again.

5 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I can't help but think 'Lambert' all over again.

Lambert really only kept Norwich up for one season. We'll never know how it would have progressed if he never went to Villa.

That's why bringing in a decent DoF is probably more important than whatever decision we make with the manager. It's not just about recruitment, the right DoF can help us build a decent infrastructure around the head coach and give the club an identity to work towards and the right strategey.

Was thinking that Ragnick could be ideal for that kind of role, but think he's now signed a contract extension with Red Bull.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Don't shoot the messenger but thought others may want to see this - there are reports from Portugal in the last hour that Bruno Lage, ex-Benfica manager, might be on his way here.

Emphasis on word might. I've not been able to find any distinct confirmation. No mention in what capacity either, but one would assume as Manager.

The source appears to be Portuguese broadcaster Sport TV - I can't offer a link as it appears to have been mentioned on TV, but other sites are picking it up. The best at present is this (translateD) ojogo.pt report on what Sport TV have said.

Personally, I hope we stick with Smith. We will have to see what happens.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we ahould lock this thread out of respect for dean.

He has kept us up to keep it open is disrespectful 

I agree with you. Thought the news was worth sharing though and this thread seemed the most appropriate place.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we ahould lock this thread out of respect for dean.

He has kept us up to keep it open is disrespectful 

Totally, came here to say the same thing. It was started when we were on a shit run in the Championship and he put us on a record winning run and got us promoted at the first time of asking. Then it came back when we were struggling this year. Guess what, when the writing looked to be on the wall, after the club's forced transfer gambles resulted in him not having all the necessary tools (no goal scorer for a start) Smith and his staff pulled out an 8 point haul from 4 games that included a win against Arsenal and saw us to safety against all the odds. 

This thread should be in the bin,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wes said:

I agree with you. Thought the news was worth sharing though and this thread seemed the most appropriate place.

Oh dont worry mate that wasnt a dig at you i was just saying generally 👍

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wes said:

Don't shoot the messenger but thought others may want to see this - there are reports from Portugal in the last hour that Bruno Lage, ex-Benfica manager, might be on his way here.

Emphasis on word might. I've not been able to find any distinct confirmation. No mention in what capacity either, but one would assume as Manager.

The source appears to be Portuguese broadcaster Sport TV - I can't offer a link as it appears to have been mentioned on TV, but other sites are picking it up. The best at present is this (translateD) ojogo.pt report on what Sport TV have said.

Personally, I hope we stick with Smith. We will have to see what happens.

Interesting news but not welcome IMO. Smith has earned the right to another crack at the prem with a more settled side that has added some quality.