New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It would be the greatest managerial coup in the history of coups. Would probably be the most shocking thing to happen in football in a very long time

The coup of all coups, a coupers coup, the king of coups, Lord Coup of  Coupsville, Coupie McCoupface?

Sorry I think I’ve had too much sugar in my tea. A sweet coupa tea..... I’ll get my coat. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Ha ha. That’s the million dollar question. I don’t have enough knowledge to be honest. I like the bloke at Southampton but I don’t know enough about his previous experience. I would love Rafa to be honest. The guy at Leipzig would be a bit of a coup.

If we have true ambition then I think the owners and CP can sell it to a very good manager. We will only be in the Championship for 1 season (if we do go down) and then we will have a much firmer foundation to build from. The club, stadium, fan base, owners, training ground, city, history all are enough to sell the club to a very good manager if the ambition of the owners is really there. I want them to take our breath away with a signature announcement. The appointment of Dean was the only thing that the owners have done so far which really disappointed me.

I’m like you I don’t know enough really. Some of the posters on here seem to have a vast knowledge of managers and players from all over the world. I find myself on Google checking the names out. Then of course I’m an expert! 

I know what you mean about Dean Smith’s appointment. I wouldn’t perhaps go as far as saying I was disappointed, but probably underwhelmed. I wished him well then and still do now, but for their first managerial appointment it was hardly a major statement of intent. I would probably say it was a bit Lerneresque. It certainly wasn’t a coup! 

Edited by DaveAV1

Just to touch on Dyche again, interesting to note he is manager at Burnley. Not a head coach. If we want to continue with our current sporting director structure i don't think he'd be comfortable working within a structure like that. I'm not saying he has total autonomy on the incomings and outgoings at Burnley but his job title, to me suggests that he has much more say than Smith has here. I think Bruce ran the rule over who we signed when he came in, got some bloody decent ones in to his credit, he just can't work with them thereafter. Our recruitment policy has been a complete failure. You'd hope we are revaluating it and our structure as we go forward. Getting another well credentialed sporting director in may not be the answer either. Might be time to return to the old fashioned " manager ".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Until someone names someone viable, this thread is pointless.

Ok to save the thread.

Chris Hughton.

Is available - has 2 promotions to Smith's 1. Exciting ? - Perhaps not - but definitely Viable 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Just to touch on Dyche again, interesting to note he is manager at Burnley. Not a head coach. If we want to continue with our current sporting director structure i don't think he'd be comfortable working within a structure like that. I'm not saying he has total autonomy on the incomings and outgoings at Burnley but his job title, to me suggests that he has much more say than Smith has here. I think Bruce ran the rule over who we signed when he came in, got some bloody decent ones in to his credit, he just can't work with them thereafter. Our recruitment policy has been a complete failure. You'd hope we are revaluating it and our structure as we go forward. Getting another well credentialed sporting director in may not be the answer either. Might be time to return to the old fashioned " manager ".

I've said before it's degrees of control. Dyche for example could come in under susso - but have a much bigger say in player purchase s - with Susso charged with doing the legwork and getting the signings over the line.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I've said before it's degrees of control. Dyche for example could come in under susso - but have a much bigger say in player purchase s - with Susso charged with doing the legwork and getting the signings over the line.

Agreed. And to be fair Dyche has leverage, his reputation precedes him and i think he needs to be respected and listened to intently by any new potential employers. Not arrogance but Dyche would speak with Villa even if we went down. 100 %

Edited by Johnnyp

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Interesting point. Do u think Suso has identified players this season, more so than Smith ? If Suso stays, he needs to take a back seat in recruitment and as you say just get them over the line. Fan groups should be grilling Purslow also at Q and A's about this much vaunted scouting department of ours. I'd want to know everything.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Interesting point. Do u think Suso has identified players this season, more so than Smith ? If Suso stays, he needs to take a back seat in recruitment and as you say just get them over the line. Fan groups should be grilling Purslow also at Q and A's about this much vaunted scouting department of ours. I'd want to know everything.

Don't know to be honest. I suspect Smith would say I need a DM and susso comes back with a list of candidates....

Or we can't get Smith's first choice - so Susso comes up with a list of alternative s

I know Smith said early on - his major role is too coach and train the players - that's what he enjoys and wants to do.

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ok to save the thread.

Chris Hughton.

Is available - has 2 promotions to Smith's 1. Exciting ? - Perhaps not - but definitely Viable 

Cheers, a valid response. But this seems to be the point of this thread. Who is available, not if they're better. 

Hughton is a shout, but got sacked for poor football at brighton. If previous promotions are the measure should we look at bruce, warnock, prior to a week ago ignore Bielsa.

I've no problem snacking Smith when we get relegated. Let's not kid ourselves, sacking for sacking sake doesnt work.

1980s dr Joe, Turner, McNeil ( havent checked order).

2000 - haven't got the energy to type in the poor appointments.

Sticking with a manager isnt a guarantee of success, neither is exchanging.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Cheers, a valid response. But this seems to be the point of this thread. Who is available, not if they're better. 

Hughton is a shout, but got sacked for poor football at brighton. If previous promotions are the measure should we look at bruce, warnock, prior to a week ago ignore Bielsa.

I've no problem snacking Smith when we get relegated. Let's not kid ourselves, sacking for sacking sake doesnt work.

1980s dr Joe, Turner, McNeil ( havent checked order).

2000 - haven't got the energy to type in the poor appointments.

Sticking with a manager isnt a guarantee of success, neither is exchanging.

Not sure. If the board can't find better than DS - and allow him to continue despite relegation and two wins this year - what message does that send ?

More worryingly we give DS the benefit of the doubt - and then come October/ November we only have moderate results and decide to make a change - the pool of gettable managers is even smaller.

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

Until someone names someone viable, this thread is pointless.

If we avoid relegation I would offer the project to Pochettino. He can only say no.

He is open to managing in the PL again and wouldn't mind being part of something big.

It's for that reason I would say he would be worth going all out for to lure here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we avoid relegation I would offer the project to Pochettino. He can only say no.

He is open to managing in the PL again and wouldn't mind being part of something big.

It's for that reason I would say he would be worth going all out for to lure here.

I think he would be a good fit here. Most likely though we are relegated - doubtful anyone of his calibre would come into the championship.