New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

So, it's worse than I thought. Definitely more than just 'panicking'  going on there then! The owners are lunatics.

i did hear that Pearson was on a huge bonus if he keeps Watford in the league , no longer have to pay that just his wages for the 2 games

!!   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

I want this guy.

If we are going to be crap, let's at least have a manager that is entertainingly cringe worthy.

crystal palace dancing GIF

That would be me done with Villa for the near future. Guy is a joke

(I realise your post isn't entirely serious :) )

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For some of the posters on here that ridicule posters like myself for suggesting names like Pochettino and the likes, please continue...

Leicester City narrowly avoided relegation in the season of 13/14 by 6 points despite being down in the relegation zone most of that season. Despite Pearson going on a run in the last few games that saved them and climbed to 14th it wasn't convincing enough and the owners sacked pearson anyway.

No one would have put a junkies £20 note on what the owners did next. They booted sentimentality out of the window and showed ambition going out and getting a top european manager in Claudio Ranieri.

We all know what happened next...

I would like our owners to adopt a similar ruthlessness if we survive this season.

It's about time this club stopped accepting mediocre mentality and actually show some ambition.

Ridicule me if you wish for wanting similar for the best of our great football club. I'm all for a manager like Pochettino or someone of his ilk.

Amen.

Ranieri was not a top european manager when leicester appointed him. He was a laughing stock.

Leicester fans didn't want him.

That is not comparable to us appointing Pochettino now

• Like 1

I'm in that strange position of preferring to change the manager if we stay up, rather than if we go down.

I think I'd happily stick with Smith if we went down.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

I've said all along I want a new manager next season regardless of what division we're in. Results in the next few games will not change that view. Fwiw I think we'll scab it and beat the drop and we need to be looking to kick on then, or we'll be in the same situation next season talking about the same tiresome failures of this manager. I understand that he's not been helped with recruitment and injuries, but nonetheless we have to aim big. We're Aston Villa football club and for far far too long we have thought small time. These owners have stated they want to kick on and have huge ambitions. Whether we are in the championship or the PL next season, keeping DS will not reflect this imo. Thanks Dean for the promotion and if he keeps us up but not the man to take the club forward for me. 

Regrettably i have to agree , depending on what league were in will no doubt influence the type of manager we may or may not  attract. We are Aston Villa FC but the damage to our brand over the last few years will not help us attract the top table. The owners will have to show there intent with he next appointment.

• Like 1

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

Regrettably i have to agree , depending on what league were in will no doubt influence the type of manager we may or may not  attract. We are Aston Villa FC but the damage to our brand over the last few years will not help us attract the top table. The owners will have to show there intent with he next appointment.

It is doable to attract a top manager in the championship - see Wolves and Leeds for details. Definitely can if we stay up. The name of Villa will be a huge attractionn regardless of where we end up.

1 minute ago, MikeAVFC said:

It is doable to attract a top manager in the championship - see Wolves and Leeds for details. Definitely can if we stay up. The name of Villa will be a huge attractionn regardless of where we end up.

We all love the club Mike but the name Villa alone  will no longer  attract the top mangers  we all as fans want.  What will attract a manager is cash and a strategy  to move forward.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

We all love the club Mike but the name Villa alone  will no longer  attract the top mangers  we all as fans want.  What will attract a manager is cash and a strategy  to move forward.

Agree to an extent but if we have the right strategy in place then the name Villa will attract... Leeds attracted Bielsa with the right project, Wolves attracted Nuno, hell even Mike Ashley managed to keep Rafa in the championship. Strategy in place first, will help attract a top manager. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeAVFC said:

Agree to an extent but if we have the right strategy in place then the name Villa will attract... Leeds attracted Bielsa with the right project, Wolves attracted Nuno, hell even Mike Ashley managed to keep Rafa in the championship. Strategy in place first, will help attract a top manager. 

yes i agree with a bucket loads of cash 💰💰

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ranieri was not a top european manager when leicester appointed him. He was a laughing stock.

Leicester fans didn't want him.

That is not comparable to us appointing Pochettino now

I get that part and maybe international management didn't suit Ranieri perhaps?

When you consider Leicester's last 5 managers before Pearson and where they came from, it was quite a coup to get a manager considering the club's he had managed. Leicester had also been promoted the previous season by Pearson and even though he saved them in their first season back they still sacked him.

Considering the last 5 managers Villa have had, I would say someone nowadays with a similar ilk or better (to Ranieri at the time) would not be frowned upon considering where we have also come from.

Leicester fans were not saying they didn't want him when he pulled off the impossible. It's a fickle game as you know mate.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

51 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

You’d heard of Nuno before he rocked up at Wolves then, yeah? Because I’ve never spoken with anyone who knew the bloke before he landed at Wolves. As for Bielsa, he was known as something of a loose cannon, and was undoubtedly a gamble by Leeds. It paid off, well done. But neither of those two can be acclaimed as “top managers” when they arrived at Wolves & Leeds. Top managers do not choose championship clubs to manage. Championship  Clubs have to find the next “Top Manager”. 

Due to recent times i would rather see the board go big on a manager with proven qualities over an overpriced championship player who 'might' be good...sometimes you have to spend big to get big.

That in its self is worth a couple of points as a proven manager would not have made the basic mistakes Smith has.

Like others...as a person...great...getting up...great...and he will part of that success...but sometimes you got to know where you are at and where you want to go and unfortunately Smith wont take us there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

When you consider Leicester's last 5 managers before Pearson and where they came from, it was quite a coup to get a manager considering the club's he had managed. Leicester had also been promoted the previous season by Pearson and even though he saved them in their first season back they still sacked him.

No I don't agree it was a coup. It may have been a manager slightly above their standing, but a coup it was not.

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Considering the last 5 managers Villa have had, I would say someone nowadays with a similar ilk or better (to Ranieri at the time) would not be frowned upon considering where we have also come from.

Nobody is saying it would be frowned upon. Just that comnparing Leciester appointing Ranieri to us appointing Pochettino is not the same. Pchettino is probably one of the most sought after managers in Europe at the moment. he's not in that elite tier, but given his success he's pretty hot propety.
Ranieri was a laughing stock and his reputation was very much on the way down.

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Leicester fans were not saying they didn't want him when he pulled off the impossible. It's a fickle game as you know mate.

I agree but that entirely misses the point really.

47 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To add to it Everton have managed to lure Anchellotti.

I don't think it's too unrealistic to lure a Champions League type manager to the Villa project if we stay up.

This is a far better comparison fwiw.

But it's still not quite comparable seeing as Poch's stock is probably higher than Ancelotti's at the moment and Everton are a far better team than we are. The gap between current reputation of the team and current reputation of the manager was far smaller for Ancelotti and Everton than it would be for us and Poch

I'd be surprised if there's any examples of a team scarping survival in the Premier League and then appointing a manager as highly sought after as Pochettino.

I don't disagree that we need to be ambitious. And I'd have no problem with the board trying to appoint Pochettino. It would show great ambition. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out how unrealistic it is

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

You’d heard of Nuno before he rocked up at Wolves then, yeah? Because I’ve never spoken with anyone who knew the bloke before he landed at Wolves. As for Bielsa, he was known as something of a loose cannon, and was undoubtedly a gamble by Leeds. It paid off, well done. But neither of those two can be acclaimed as “top managers” when they arrived at Wolves & Leeds. Top managers do not choose championship clubs to manage. Championship  Clubs have to find the next “Top Manager”. 

They unearthed Nuno through good recruitment and a good project, and yes as a matter of fact I had. Anyone who bothers to watch football outside of this country would have known he was a high calibre manager, and even if you hadn't, one look at his CV said so. As for Bielsa, yes a gamble, but a gamble worth taking at a championship club and had a good reputation, christ look at the blokes cv.  Christ, football does exist outside the UK you know. It's fairly obvious a bloke who'd managed porto and valencia, and also a coach who'd managed across Europe and the Argentinian national team were top calibre. Are you really trying to say that these weren't top, high calibre managers? Give me strength... Just because you hadn't heard of one of them before doesn't mean others won't have done, or a quick wiki search wouldn't have gone amiss... 

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To add to it Everton have managed to lure Anchellotti.

I don't think it's too unrealistic to lure a Champions League type manager to the Villa project if we stay up.

I agree. We can’t expect an ambitious manager to come to us because we used to be great. The lure of making us great again is what will be attractive. To do that any potential managers will need to be convinced that we have the set up, the ambition and of course the dosh to make that possible. 

Our next appointment will be a good indication of just how ambitious our owners are and how well we are progressing as a football club after the many years of miss management. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They had Sven and Paulo Sousa in the 5 managers before Ranieri

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

i did hear that Pearson was on a huge bonus if he keeps Watford in the league , no longer have to pay that just his wages for the 2 games

!!   

I would say legally they still have to pay that, he probably has a better legal case if they go down now