New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

Just now, nick76 said:

Fair enough, probably wrong post to reply against, just kept reading unrealistic posts and I suppose you were the last one and while I think the owners are seriously ambitious they will do it slowly rather than the Big Bang approach because that approach fails so often hence I think Smith will get another season if we survive.

Sorry for picking on your post.

No worries mate, I'm kinda caught in the middle in these discussions anyway, I'm all over the place :D 

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think we should go for that Dean Smith bloke, got promotion with a team 12 months ago, knows the Championship if we are relegated and took his team to Wembley this season. 

He's had a rough time this season and is undervalued by sections of his fans although it looks like the owners still believe in him. 

They invested heavily but the circumstances needed that with a completely depleted squad and coming as the 3rd worst team from the championship with all new players, mostly who are young and projects it was going to be difficult but still he kept them challenging for safety until the last day. 

It may be a great opportunity because the current club he's at has fans that have sections who still think the club are a top six team despite the last 10 years league places suggesting otherwise and until the new owners came in were poorly managed.  They even joke (i think) that he should be replaced by Poch

He's relativity young for a manager, he's still learning and yes will make mistakes but we need to go for that kind of figure because we cant get a top notch manager just yet but he tries to play attacking football but has been hindered by the lack of quality in his squad this season.  Fans enjoyed his football last season.

He's had long runs of defeats this season so a section of fans have turned on him so might be a great chance to get him because that squad with a few quality additions and then Smith would be able to get more from his style of play.

To kick off, when "big names" are being brandished about it is with one eye on staying in the premier league.

I understand you're all for keeping Dean Smith and his accomplishments with us of last season and a cup final this season. I just don't feel he is the manager that will take us on to the next level we are aiming for, right??

I'm all for retaining Smith and see him in a more of a DoF advisory role since he knows the furniture etc. etc.

The fans you allure too of thinking "we're still a top 6 team" realise that in these last 10 years you mention - 6 of those years where the end of days for one owner on his way out, a charlatan is guilty for nearly 2 of those, so it's only really been in the last 2 years of these 10 that we have turned a corner if you like on getting the club back in the direction of being a "top 6" club again. I don't believe Dean Smith is the man to do that imo. Hence the call for a bit of an ambitious change and not a step sidewards and appoint a manager in Chris Houghton (again this is all stay in the PL hypothetical talk).

So I am sorry I am not part of your Smith in campaign, it's your choice.

I am part of the Smith needs to be replaced with better quality if we are to ever have a chance of ever seeing the "top 6" again camp in an aim to attract a higher profile manager. Keep laughing.

If I am a billionaire owner /investor I would have ambition for that said investment. Not to just sit and hope some young manager can learn his trade with us and we hang around the bottom six. Especially not when I had the money and the power to do something about it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be fair though, which sounds more sensible Poch linked to Juventus or Villa fans thinking Poch would come to Villa at the moment?

I don't have no idea where to are now heading with this so let's stay on track.

You're taking one rumour from a tabloid and giving it credibility in order to gain a counter suggestion against certain fans and posters ambitions of their desire to see a decent manager appointed should we stay up!?

Of course No manager will come at the moment as we have still got 2 games left to play so it would be even more stupid to try and change things now like Watford have gone and done.

Are you worried about the club showing ambition if it were to materialise? Again, genuine question.

20 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't have no idea where to are now heading with this so let's stay on track.

You're taking one rumour from a tabloid and giving it credibility in order to gain a counter suggestion against certain fans and posters ambitions of their desire to see a decent manager appointed should we stay up!?

Of course No manager will come at the moment as we have still got 2 games left to play so it would be even more stupid to try and change things now like Watford have gone and done.

Are you worried about the club showing ambition if it were to materialise? Again, genuine question.

I didn’t say now, I mean at the end of the season....Watford’s decision two games out is bizarre.

I believe unless we are going for a top notch manager if we survive then changing the manager for another average manager is pointless.  The likes of Dyche are just the same as Smith.

Do it big or don’t change.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For some of the posters on here that ridicule posters like myself for suggesting names like Pochettino and the likes, please continue...

Leicester City narrowly avoided relegation in the season of 13/14 by 6 points despite being down in the relegation zone most of that season. Despite Pearson going on a run in the last few games that saved them and climbed to 14th it wasn't convincing enough and the owners sacked pearson anyway.

No one would have put a junkies £20 note on what the owners did next. They booted sentimentality out of the window and showed ambition going out and getting a top european manager in Claudio Ranieri.

We all know what happened next...

I would like our owners to adopt a similar ruthlessness if we survive this season.

It's about time this club stopped accepting mediocre mentality and actually show some ambition.

Ridicule me if you wish for wanting similar for the best of our great football club. I'm all for a manager like Pochettino or someone of his ilk.

Amen.

Ranieri had just been sacked by Greece after losing twice to Faroe Islands.It wasn't a coup. Thread at the time people thought was a joke

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

It is bizarre but we don't know what has been going on behind the scenes.

Pearson has fallen out with people before.

To put the blame on Pearson, when Watford have already sacked 2 managers before him, maybe jumping the gun a bit. Pearson isn't the common denominator. They are an absolute basket case. No decent manager should touch them with a bargepole.

I'm not doubting you may be right, but from the outside looking in, it's the owners and and some bloke called giraldi (chief scout/DOF) who interferes with team selections and tactics which is driving managers away. That's what I read on a Watford forum anyway.

2 hours ago, useless said:

If Pochettino is going to Juventus then that means Maurizio Sarri will be available.

Sarriball with Nakamba and Hourihane in midfield might be an issue

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

To put the blame on Pearson, when Watford have already sacked 2 managers before him, maybe jumping the gun a bit. Pearson isn't the common denominator. They are an absolute basket case. No decent manager should touch them with a bargepole.

I'm not doubting you may be right, but from the outside looking in, it's the owners and and some bloke called giraldi (chief scout/DOF) who interferes with team selections and tactics which is driving managers away. That's what I read on a Watford forum anyway.

The owners are absolutely desperate to stay in the league.

When you are in that state of mind your decision making can be panicking.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Ranieri had just been sacked by Greece after losing twice to Faroe Islands.It wasn't a coup. Thread at the time people thought was a joke

And has been in and out of employment with different clubs since without pulling up any trees.

His achievement was amazing though.

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I want this guy.

If we are going to be crap, let's at least have a manager that is entertainingly cringe worthy.

crystal palace dancing GIF

If want crazy then you have to go all in for Maradona

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

The owners are absolutely desperate to stay in the league.

When you are in that state of mind your decision making can be panicking.

Come off it. They've had 7 managers in 6 years. They aren't panicking every single time. They are a basket case. It really is that simple.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Come off it. They've had 7 managers in 6 years. They aren't panicking every single time. They are a basket case. It really is that simple.

Managers or managerial changes? Beacuse it seems liks Sanchez Flores has been reappointed 7 times in 6 years.

56 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

10 managers in the 7 years they owned Granada, 

Udinese is on the 11th manager in the last 6 years and have had a caretaker manager since November 🤣

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

10 managers in the 7 years they owned Granada, 

Udinese is on the 11th manager in the last 6 years and have had a caretaker manager since November 🤣

So, it's worse than I thought. Definitely more than just 'panicking'  going on there then! The owners are lunatics.

I've said all along I want a new manager next season regardless of what division we're in. Results in the next few games will not change that view. Fwiw I think we'll scab it and beat the drop and we need to be looking to kick on then, or we'll be in the same situation next season talking about the same tiresome failures of this manager. I understand that he's not been helped with recruitment and injuries, but nonetheless we have to aim big. We're Aston Villa football club and for far far too long we have thought small time. These owners have stated they want to kick on and have huge ambitions. Whether we are in the championship or the PL next season, keeping DS will not reflect this imo. Thanks Dean for the promotion and if he keeps us up but not the man to take the club forward for me. 

• Like 1