Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

15 minutes ago, thunderball said:

An entirely plausible situation is:

Watkins - the player wants to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the window for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or (3) Watkins Agent has told him to hang fire as more interest is growing as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client (4) There is genuine and unexpected interest from Spurs and team Watkins are waiting on SPurs to show their hand.

Benrahma - the player want to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the season for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or they are asking a very high price that no one is willing to pay and waiting to see who bids up closest to that price as the end of the window approaches, or (3) Benrahma’s Agent has told him to hang fire as there is more ineterest as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client - both club and salary and term, or (4) Benrahma would prefer to stay in London if the right suitor can be found paying more money.

Edouard - (1) the player wants to leave Celtic and Scottish football. He would prefer Champions League or a prestigious destination and he has not-yet-firmed-up offers from Leicester and a few others but understands that they have other targets and are waiting for this to crystallise before deciding on his destination, or (2) we and others have made an offer that is somewhat short and not yet acceptable to Celtic, but if no offers around their asking price arrive they will consider the offer(s) as will the player and his Agent.

Rashica - Etc Etc Etc

So maybe we have a firm list of targets but we are prepared to wait rather than accept lower choices.

FFS as if this is the place for considered, reasoned argument ! Don’t you know where you are ?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Watkins - the player wants to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the window for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or (3) Watkins Agent has told him to hang fire as more interest is growing as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client (4) There is genuine and unexpected interest from Spurs and team Watkins are waiting on SPurs to show their hand.

Benrahma - the player want to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the season for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or they are asking a very high price that no one is willing to pay and waiting to see who bids up closest to that price as the end of the window approaches, or (3) Benrahma’s Agent has told him to hang fire as there is more ineterest as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client - both club and salary and term, or (4) Benrahma would prefer to stay in London if the right suitor can be found paying more money.

Edouard - (1) the player wants to leave Celtic and Scottish football. He would prefer Champions League or a prestigious destination and he has not-yet-firmed-up offers from Leicester and a few others but understands that they have other targets and are waiting for this to crystallise before deciding on his destination, or (2) we and others have made an offer that is somewhat short and not yet acceptable to Celtic, but if no offers around their asking price arrive they will consider the offer(s) as will the player and his Agent.

Etc Etc Etc

So maybe we have a firm list of targets but we are prepared to wait rather than accept lower choices.

I have no reason to believe you are wrong.....But are we saying that these players are our only choice, are we not being held to ransom, with a conclusion that still might not go our way, in which we are then forced at the last minute to panic buy and end up with second and third choices.

Not all transfers are complicated, thet can be made complicated, by poor negotiating tactics.....not saying that is the case here, but it is a possibility along with many other explanations.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and gain on future signings.....when the team is stronger our clout will be more powerful, that day will come, if we are shrewd now and make the right moves.

I perfectly understand the option to wait.....but that too is not the certainty it represents......I think Mon was a past master at pedaling that process and it didn't end that well.

We all have our views, I know that....I favour the "early bird catches the worm"......If he slips down a hole there will be a another one....if you get up early enough.

Even though schools went back today or last week if my kids place is anything to go by there is no homework until next week.

Hopefully VT will calm down when the children are otherwise occupied in the evening. You never know we may have even made a signing or two by then to placate them. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am clear the owners will know the consequences of not spending on crucial signings this summer.

I am equally clear signings are tough for every club, not just us.

what I am not clear about is the time it is taking to get over the line what appears to be our first choice targets......are we the only club that other clubs try to fleece?.....how long has it taken Newcastle to sign Wilson?

Where is our Intel to switch targets if we can't agree fees.

We may well be in full control and there is nothing to worry about.....but that theory is based on what? exactly.

I think with Wilson we were actually prepared to outbid Newcastle, but he seemingly didn't want to come here and we don't seem to be capable of paying high wages, either for FFP reasons or our own apprehensions around that given it impacted us badly when we went down a few years ago. The issue is, we have to start paying wages for quality sooner or later or we'll get left behind.

It does all seem very odd why we're taking so long with it all. Now it seems we're going in serious on Martinez, the Arsenal GK, who I rate highly but just adds to my confusion. Why pay £20m on a GK, and £14m on a RB, when we are in more desperate need of a striker and winger who can score goals and create chances respectively?

Maybe the club has it all under control and we're all crying over spilt milk. Or maybe not. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Does anyone else share my suspicion that this site is being targeted by Russian bots? 

fail wake up GIF by Cheezburger

Personally I really never believed that we would - and don’t to - spend £100m. I think we’re okay with just adding Matty Cash to the squad....

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

but you have no more idea than me....that,that is the situation.

you are just assuming like me.....I am actually being devils advocate, but the folk who are suggesting patience have no more idea than those who are pissed off.

It’s a truism that nobody knows what will happen until it happens - that said, I’m happy to put my faith in Purslow Lange and Smith that they understand what is required and are working to deliver it

As Pointed out elsewhere, it’s entirely probable that top quality targets are harder to land Early than journeymen as they have far more options and can take their time.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Rashica - Etc Etc Etc

If you think for one minute I’m going to read all that you’ve got another thing coming,, what I want to know is where are the signings??????

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Our recent history of keeping transfers pretty much under wraps ?

We have been linked with Matty Cash for some time and Watkins and Benrahma is not exactly Bletchley park Stuff.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

I feel sorry for Smith too. Had to endure a shocker of a season last year when he wanted Maupay and Benrahma and got neither.

I really hoped and hope this window would be different but unless we go big and sign Edouard for £35m it’s looking much of the same.

Dean Smith is  literally living his dream job .

I feel happy for him.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We have been linked with Matty Cash for some time and Watkins and Benrahma is not exactly Bletchley park Stuff.

we have never ever been actually officially linked with Benrahma though. media putting 2 + 2 = 15

• Thanks 1