Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He'd be a great signing. Him and Jack in the same team would be an exciting proposition. But all I hear on here is we won't pay decent wages, which Deulofeu would certainly expect. 

I think it's quite simple, if we have around £100M to spend, then we can either spunk that out on transfer fees or on wages or a bit of both. We made Wilson an offer and he is on high wages, so apparently we are prepared to sign at least one or two on high wages. Makes perfect sense, a couple of £20M+ players on high wages and a couple of Matty Cash. Deloufeu could be one of them high earners.

• Like 2

Whilst I don’t really want to blow a large portion of our budget on a keeper, the Arsenal fans comments about Martinez are surprising. A lot of them don’t want him sold and want him as their no.1. 

On the face of it, I thought 15-20m on a new keeper was too much but if he’s as good as people are saying, then I’m all for it.

Id rather start the season with Samatta up front than Nyland in goal. Just. 

• Like 4

Just now, rayk said:

OMG, at the moment this thread seems it’s occupied by lemmings that believe every word the club puts out there when it suits them.

Does anyone seriously think DS is happy only a few days before the season starts that we’ve only signed Cash when the clear strategy was to bolster our attacking players?

Have you tried emailing the club to ask them about conducting transfers to suit your schedule ? 

It seems very selfish from Villa at the moment to be honest.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rayk said:

It’s only when you spend big, long contracts......and get relegated that there is an issue..

Again, you have pointed out the issue and are still wondering (moaning) why we are not signing people. 

We are taking our time because we are not going to jump feet first into car crash signings anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

This isnt directly for you but your post was a good summary of some fans who are worried. 

It doesn't mean that we can go in carte blanche and have a piss up at the brewery so to speak. We probably overspent last season with the view we add 3/4 bodies this season.

Unfortunately because of COVID our finances probably suffered more than other clubs because we're not optimised commercially to take advantage of our premiership status. By this I mean sponsorship deals etc. Hence we're probably having to be a little bit more careful than we could have been because of COVID. 

We also didn't envisage Wesley and Heaton getting injured so buying a keeper is probably a priority too. If our business is poor I'd be the first one with a pickaxe but we're working under a unique set of circumstances.

I understand it's a difficult time right now, of course I do. It's affected the whole market as there is far less activity than there would be usually.

But ultimately if they don't improve the team they have to think of the risk factors of that. We were very fortunate to survive last season, if we don't strengthen and go back down again their finances will suffer a lot more. 

Economies go into recession a lot, and businesses go into freefall. It's part and parcel of the world we live in (and with this virus it really is an unprecedented time) but it can't be used as an excuse for us standing still which you absolutely cannot do at this level. And despite the effects of COVID, even sides like Newcastle with Mike Ashley are putting money in their pocket to improve their side so it just feels like excuses to me. 

Just now, rayk said:

I really hope so mate. Truly, but remember last season DS wanted Maupay and Benrahma and the owners didn’t cough up for them.

We spent to our FFP limit last summer and still had gaping holes in the squad. Bringing in these 2 would've meant less players in and wider gaps in the squad. I'm pretty sure you know that though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Have you tried emailing the club to ask them about conducting transfers to suit your schedule ? 

It seems very selfish from Villa at the moment to be honest.

It's all well and good joking but it won't be a funny matter when we're performing like arse next season because we haven't strengthened the team sufficiently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

I seriously ( as you put it) believe Smith knows exactly what is happening, ie We'll get the signings he wants and we can afford

before the window shuts. By the way i am not a "lemming" as you put it but i do understand the way transfers happen

Can you tell us then why it is we haven't signed any players to fix an acute problem from last season......and many other clubs have?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

fans are always impatient, when you have just escaped the quicksand........and transfers have always been complicated.

so whats new?.......delays breed doubt, doubt in our ability to strengthen the team as we would like.

if the club came out and endorsed the delay and told us even in a veiled way that all is well, it might settle a few nerves.....but when nothing is said, speculation thrives.

In 2020 ?

Most of it to be honest.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

I seriously ( as you put it) believe Smith knows exactly what is happening, ie We'll get the signings he wants and we can afford

before the window shuts. By the way i am not a "lemming" as you put it but i do understand the way transfers happen

Yes, you obtain a war chest, monitor the situation of a player,  make an enquiry, prepare and put the finishing touches to a bid, launch the bid. All this must be done before the transfer window SLAMS SHUT

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think it's quite simple, if we have around £100M to spend, then we can either spunk that out on transfer fees or on wages or a bit of both. We made Wilson an offer and he is on high wages, so apparently we are prepared to sign at least one or two on high wages. Makes perfect sense, a couple of £20M+ players on high wages and a couple of Matty Cash. Deloufeu could be one of them high earners.

Good player. But signing someone who wouldn't be available for the first few months of the season wouldn't appease the worries in here, I fear.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think seemingly is the key word there. I'm sure the Rodriguez to Everton signing seems straightforward enough if you haven't spent three week's reading a 300 page will he/won't he thread in which many posters have claimed there's no way that Everton can compete with Sevilla/Red Bull Wrexham.

Please don't get my hopes up like that! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

That would be the ideal situation mate. Doesn't look likely at this stage but you never know. People seem to keep denying that we were ever in for Wilson even though it's been well documented, but we must have known he was on a pretty big wage and still tried to sign him so you'd think someone like Deulofeu would be on the radar too. 

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Again, you have pointed out the issue and are still wondering (moaning) why we are not signing people. 

We are taking our time because we are not going to jump feet first into car crash signings anymore. 

Haha really? You’re argument would have some merit had we blown £100m already ....but just one signing a few days before the season is due to start? 

Cmon, we’re more likely to get car crash signings by waiting until deadline day/week. Ie we haven’t been able to get our signings all window and get forced into overpriced deals at the last moment.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No way in hell we are spending money like this on Right Backs and keepers, yet dithering with strikers, wingers and CMs.

Another reason I'm unexplainably, and quietly confident.

Exactly, it's not like the club doesn't understand that we need to bring in a new winger and striker. Spending that sort of money on other makes me eager to know how much they have saved for the striker and winger 💰💰💰💰

• Like 1