Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Again, you have pointed out the issue and are still wondering (moaning) why we are not signing people. 

We are taking our time because we are not going to jump feet first into car crash signings anymore. 

Ah yes, much much better to make no attacking signings at all after promising the players and manager they would. Good stuff. 

• Like 1

I have to admit I really do feel sorry for Smith the interview he gave about not having the same season with people coming in late really does say a lot. This is not the owners look to who is dealing with the transfers.

Edited by string28

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can you tell us then why it is we haven't signed any players to fix an acute problem from last season......and many other clubs have?

Have they? This point has been done to death too.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We are constrained by FFP and several years in Championship. HOW. MANY. TIMES. DOES. THIS. NEED. TO. BE. EXPLAINED. 

Whilst true to some extent, why then are our owners telling our players we will be improving the squad to be well away from any relegation battle?

That interview from Purslow was from February yet so many have jumped on it over the last 2 days. Never mentioned before. 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's all well and good joking but it won't be a funny matter when we're performing like arse next season because we haven't strengthened the team sufficiently. 

Sounds like a living nightmare.

After 35 years of watching us win everything in sight I doubt I'm prepared for that kind of comedown.

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I understand it's a difficult time right now, of course I do. It's affected the whole market as there is far less activity than there would be usually.

But ultimately if they don't improve the team they have to think of the risk factors of that. We were very fortunate to survive last season, if we don't strengthen and go back down again their finances will suffer a lot more. 

Economies go into recession a lot, and businesses go into freefall. It's part and parcel of the world we live in (and with this virus it really is an unprecedented time) but it can't be used as an excuse for us standing still which you absolutely cannot do at this level. And despite the effects of COVID, even sides like Newcastle with Mike Ashley are putting money in their pocket to improve their side so it just feels like excuses to me. 

I am clear the owners will know the consequences of not spending on crucial signings this summer.

I am equally clear signings are tough for every club, not just us.

what I am not clear about is the time it is taking to get over the line what appears to be our first choice targets......are we the only club that other clubs try to fleece?.....how long has it taken Newcastle to sign Wilson?

Where is our Intel to switch targets if we can't agree fees.

We may well be in full control and there is nothing to worry about.....but that theory is based on what? exactly.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can you tell us then why it is we haven't signed any players to fix an acute problem from last season......and many other clubs have?

The problem is can you tell us why we haven't? 

The issue is that we don't have a clue what's going on, all we have is the bullshit fed to us by a piss poor media propped up by an even worse social media

And it drives a portion of our fans mad 

Many other clubs might be willing to make transfers that we simply aren't (Wilson for example) that's not a bad thing 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Again, you have pointed out the issue and are still wondering (moaning) why we are not signing people. 

We are taking our time because we are not going to jump feet first into car crash signings anymore. 

He's on my ignore list but sadly you still see quoted posts, so please stop quoting him 👍

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

An entirely plausible situation is:

Watkins - the player wants to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the window for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or (3) Watkins Agent has told him to hang fire as more interest is growing as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client (4) There is genuine and unexpected interest from Spurs and team Watkins are waiting on SPurs to show their hand.

Benrahma - the player want to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the season for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or they are asking a very high price that no one is willing to pay and waiting to see who bids up closest to that price as the end of the window approaches, or (3) Benrahma’s Agent has told him to hang fire as there is more ineterest as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client - both club and salary and term, or (4) Benrahma would prefer to stay in London if the right suitor can be found paying more money.

Edouard - (1) the player wants to leave Celtic and Scottish football. He would prefer Champions League or a prestigious destination and he has not yet firmed up offers from Leicester and a few others but understands that they have other targets and are waiting for this to crystallise before deciding on his destination, or (2) we and others have made an offer that is somewhat short and not yet acceptable to Celtic, but if no offers around their asking price arrive they will consider the offer(s) as will the players and his Agent.

Etc Etc Etc

So maybe we have a firm list of targets but we are prepared to wait rather than accept lower choices.

Absolutely spot on Well written and an accurate description of actually what probably IS happening

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

We're definitely going in big for Martinez. There's definitely interest there. I think Heaton will be out for the majority of the season too so would be an important signing.

What makes you say that? The man himself said he should be back around the time of the first international break.

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

An entirely plausible situation is:

Watkins - the player wants to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the window for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or (3) Watkins Agent has told him to hang fire as more interest is growing as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client (4) There is genuine and unexpected interest from Spurs and team Watkins are waiting on SPurs to show their hand.

Benrahma - the player want to be here but (1) Brentford are waiting until the end of the season for desperation to creep in/alternative bidders to enter the fray to inflate the price and put us under pressure, or (2) Brentford quoted a price and reneged on it and we refused to be played and we are waiting for the end of the window to put pressure on them, or they are asking a very high price that no one is willing to pay and waiting to see who bids up closest to that price as the end of the window approaches, or (3) Benrahma’s Agent has told him to hang fire as there is more ineterest as the window tick down, he thinks he can get a better deal for his client - both club and salary and term, or (4) Benrahma would prefer to stay in London if the right suitor can be found paying more money.

Edouard - (1) the player wants to leave Celtic and Scottish football. He would prefer Champions League or a prestigious destination and he has not yet firmed up offers from Leicester and a few others but understands that they have other targets and are waiting for this to crystallise before deciding on his destination, or (2) we and others have made an offer that is somewhat short and not yet acceptable to Celtic, but if no offers around their asking price arrive they will consider the offer(s) as will the players and his Agent.

Etc Etc Etc

So maybe we have a firm list of targets but we are prepared to wait rather than accept lower choices.

How dare you come in here and be sensible? 

baseball you're out GIF by WAX

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Would you be happy with bringing in players of a similar quality as last summer if it meant more gusto or wait for our number 1 targets if it means we don't get them till towards the end of the window? I know which id prefer. 

but you have no more idea than me....that,that is the situation.

you are just assuming like me.....I am actually being devils advocate, but the folk who are suggesting patience have no more idea than those who are pissed off.

Edited by TRO