Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

But, the arguements against Purslow, and by default NSWE, after they literally saved us from going out of business, bankrolling our survival, telling Prem clubs "Grealish wasnt for sale" when he looked certain to join Spurs (when they could have sold him - and actually been able to reasonably justify why, if they wanted the money), our promotion and staying (possibly a little lucky - but regardless) in the prem after spending in the region of 140 million, is just..........slightly silly........bordering on disgustingly dismissive of where we are now, compared to where we were when Purslow/NSWE took over.

Kids have short memories these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

As has been covered in the last few pages, we are not allowed to pay wages as high as most of the league. The three years Newcastle have been in the PL is the time that lets them pay ‘full’ PL wages under FFP. 

Does that mean we fall under the same criteria as Fulham even though they got relegated 2 seasons ago?

23 minutes ago, skarroki said:

We aren't looking for solid backups, your Marcal or Veltman type signings. Marcal is our Elmo, Veltman is our Engels, these players will be expecting big wages and the club's they're moving too need to bulk up their squads. 

If we're really looking to bring in 4/5 top quality first team players, we're shopping in a different market, almost a unique market to everyone else in the Prem. We need players that will fit in and not upset the squad harmony, players that will really help us on the pitch address our weaknesses. We don't want someone from ligue 1 who costs £2mil and might push Trezeguet for the backup RW position. 

I'm not convinced we were ever in for Wilson, it seems like Watkins has been a target and will happen eventually, making a smokescreen move for Wilson might have been to force Brentford's hand on negotiating. 

I think we're after a winger, I don't think that's Benrahma and I don't think we know who it is. I think we're after a central midfield player too and I think we've spoken to representatives of a Turin club about a player who covers one of those positions last week but no idea who that could be. 

Veltman is a more experienced campaigner than Engels and if you swapped them we'd be a better side. He's a bit like Vlaar in my opinion (but better on the ball and less injury prone) in being an under the radar but very effective signing. I think he'll play regularly at Brighton alongside Dunk and improve them. 

The Benrahma thing still confuses me. It seems like we've been interested in him for 2 summers, but won't make a move for him. I personally think if we're buying from Brentford go with Benrahma over Watkins then try to bring in a really proven goalscorer. I fear we'll put all our eggs in one basket with Watkins and he'll struggle with the pressure just like Wesley did.

Ultimately though I just want a couple of big signings that give me confidence we won't be in a long hard fight next season. Looking doubtful in every passing day and week that that is going to happen. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Does that mean we fall under the same criteria as Fulham even though they got relegated 2 seasons ago?

Technically they could spend more as we came up in the last year of parachute payments,. They only spent one year relegated, so their parachute payments would have been considerably higher.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s just your revenues over three seasons. The seasons we were in Champ, revenues were way less. Likewise the seasons Fulham were in Champ. So yes, both 2 of last 3 right?

———————Watkins————————

Benrahma———Jack—————Rashica

That would give any PL defence a bad day at the office. Chuck in a starting quality CM like Ibrahim Sangare or Jean-Ricner Bellegarde to compete with SJM and we’d be in great shape for less than £100M. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

To start.... I’m aware that wasn’t the stat I originally presented, that’s why my last post says that I misread it, and then stated in bold what it should have been.

Honestly, I don’t know what leads me to believe Cash is a better player. Perhaps I’m just very trusting that our management team would not spend £15m on someone who isn’t better than what we already have.

I like Guilbert. I like his pace, his attacking link-up play and his slide tackles (even if his slide tackles occasionally came about from his poor positioning), but he clearly wasn’t doing exactly what Smith wanted last season, because Elmo and Konsa were both chosen over him at different times. 

I don't share your optimism.

This is the same management team that brought in Baston and Drinkwater on loan.  The same management team that were after Wilson, and despite emphasising how important getting players in early to prepare in preseason, have only brought in 1 player, and not in a position that caused us huge issues last season.

I'm bemused

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I don't share your optimism.

This is the same management team that brought in Baston and Drinkwater on loan.  The same management team that were after Wilson, and despite emphasising how important getting players in early to prepare in preseason, have only brought in 1 player, and not in a position that caused us huge issues last season.

I'm bemused

Still not convinced we were "after" Wilson. Nothing concrete other than usual journo invented click bait. I think the Baston loan arrangement showed more how restricted we were by FFP more than anything else

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

would also say LB and GK just below those you mentioned for importance, but as you say, critical we get CM, AMR, ST, then for me a LB to challenge Targett, and a GK to protect against Heaton being injured again would be nice to have's if possible.

Plus a LW and move Grealish central then we can aim for 10th-13th if the quality brought in is respectable 

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Ultimately though I just want a couple of big signings that give me confidence we won't be in a long hard fight next season. Looking doubtful in every passing day and week that that is going to happen. 

Not going to happen. As discussed we can't offer good wages at Premier League levels. I mean in the real world our players will still earn millions, but perhaps not tens of millions. If Newcastle can offer more attractive contracts than us even under cuddly Mike Ashley it shows we still have a bit of work to do just to become a mid table side again.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not going to happen. As discussed we can't offer good wages at Premier League levels. I mean in the real world our players will still earn millions, but perhaps not tens of millions. If Newcastle can offer more attractive contracts than us even under cuddly Mike Ashley it shows we still have a bit of work to do just to become a mid table side again.

That's the nature of getting relegated when we did and FFP and nothing is going to change that short term

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Veltman is a more experienced campaigner than Engels and if you swapped them we'd be a better side. He's a bit like Vlaar in my opinion (but better on the ball and less injury prone) in being an under the radar but very effective signing. I think he'll play regularly at Brighton alongside Dunk and improve them. 

The Benrahma thing still confuses me. It seems like we've been interested in him for 2 summers, but won't make a move for him. I personally think if we're buying from Brentford go with Benrahma over Watkins then try to bring in a really proven goalscorer. I fear we'll put all our eggs in one basket with Watkins and he'll struggle with the pressure just like Wesley did.

I wish you was in control of our club id be able to sleep better at night.. i have little faith and this new week will be the last chance for to prove me wrong. Yeah im not against Watkins but we are rating him higher than he probably is many of us are obsessed with signing him. Im not even too comfortable with Edouard but i feel he may be the one to go for out the two but why limit ourselves to just those two.. aren’t there any firing strikers in Europe bundesliga or serie A etc. We need a winger on at least one of the flanks too that is a top priority also

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

This. Veltman was a player we could have done with, experienced, part of a strong Netherlands squad, versatile (can play CB or RB), and cost a very small fee. I think Brighton paid a measly £900K for him. 

It's honestly ridiculous how we're struggling to get players in and haggling over fees, when there's so many examples of players who cost barely anything that would improve our squad at the very least. Fraser is available on a free, going to Newcastle. Sarr to Chelsea. Veltman and Lallana to Brighton. Clyne is available. Even bloomin Joe Hart could have been worth a punt on a free. 

We will probably end up panic buying right at the end of this window and get fleeced yet again. It's all so predictable with this club. 

Veltman is very injury prone so is Lallana and Clyne and the last 2 probably on big wages. Hart is crap and Ryan Fraser is a piece of shit who  isnt even a great player. Sarr was never coming to a team like Villa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Seeing that Watkins and Benrahma have not featured in any of Brentford's pre-season and cup matches, I am quite confident that one or both of them are coming our way.   

We need both and another striker.