Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’d hazard a guess and say currently being negotiated ? ...🤔

Did you read the article? Just because it doesn’t fit into your or my timeline kinda means Jack Shit really.

Peeps can moan all-they want . Yes, the season starts in a week, but the window is open for another 4 weeks +EFL  Ext window. Ch€L$K¥ aside market is slow and we have to bide our time as fans and have faith. 

Yes I did read it 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

It is just a poor excuse for Purslow being utterly incapable of getting a deal done that isnt for a Swansea reject, a drink driving pisshead or from a third world footballing nation.

Does it bother you from which country players come from?

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Free transfers aren't 'free'. They cost a fortune in fees and wages. 

And Joe Hart? Really. He's absolutely shite now. 

Well obviously there are agent fees and wages but there is no transfer fee. We automatically exclude ourselves from looking at these players though because they're on higher wages, but all proven players are on relatively high wages. But yet we need proven top flight players to establish ourselves 😕

Hart is not very good now I agree but he's probably better than who will start in goal for us on the first game of the season. That's how dire our situation is. 

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

I won't pretend to know - but having followed Villa for more years than I care to remember, Ive seen all sorts of windows - and times when there wasn't a window. MON used to wait famously until the last week before a flurry of arrivals - and there has been times when weve just missed out on players. I recall in the Graham Turner our then chairman Doug Eliis came out with the statement that money is available for players, when the players didn't arrive it eventually transpired that there was very little money available for players.

Times change, and the new owners haven't done much wrong, hell they pulled us back from the brink. What will say though is that when transfer activity falls flat very often finance is the issue.

I remember O'Neill signed Dunne, Collins, and Warnock all on deadline day. That was three quarters of our first choice back line that season. The Richard Dunne deal wasn't even finalised until the day after the window had slammed shut.

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Birmingham Live says we have signed him 

we've been close to announcing him for over a month now, there is still nowhere that actually states he is a Villa player.

I hope we have and that players like him, Ramsey and Barry actually get game time.

But back on transfers, I don't think we would have got as close to a transfer with Wilson if we were that far apart on wages, it just doesn't make sense.

I wish Smith or someone from the club would comment on the players we AREN'T IN FOR, that way the ITKs and other bullsh*t would shut the hell up!

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well obviously there are agent fees and wages but there is no transfer fee. We automatically exclude ourselves from looking at these players though because they're on higher wages, but all proven players are on relatively high wages. But yet we need proven top flight players to establish ourselves 😕

Hart is not very good now I agree but he's probably better than who will start in goal for us on the first game of the season. That's how dire our situation is. 

Players will risk running their contracts down because they know it'll be a huge payday for them signing on a free. I think the rule of thumb is (or was before fees went sky-high) that the player and agent will generally earn whatever the club would've paid in transfer fees themselves in sign-on fees and wages. 

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I would rather see Gabor Kiraly in a Villa shirt than Joe Hart!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

1) Bullshit conjecture you've made up in your head after listening to paper talk with nothing material to reference. 

2) Clyne is shit now and has been since 2017 and I'd rather have Cash at 23 with his entire career ahead of him thanks. 

Edit: Just realised you meant the other Sarr and not the Watford bloke!

Well it's not 'bullshit conjecture' about us struggling to get players in is it? That's all you seem to do, criticise me (and others) for listening to paper talk as you call it, but it's pretty obvious to every man and his dog that we're doing a pretty poor job of recruiting in this window given we're 2 weeks away from the start of the season and have signed 1 player. 

• Like 1

We aren't looking for solid backups, your Marcal or Veltman type signings. Marcal is our Elmo, Veltman is our Engels, these players will be expecting big wages and the club's they're moving too need to bulk up their squads. 

If we're really looking to bring in 4/5 top quality first team players, we're shopping in a different market, almost a unique market to everyone else in the Prem. We need players that will fit in and not upset the squad harmony, players that will really help us on the pitch address our weaknesses. We don't want someone from ligue 1 who costs £2mil and might push Trezeguet for the backup RW position. 

I'm not convinced we were ever in for Wilson, it seems like Watkins has been a target and will happen eventually, making a smokescreen move for Wilson might have been to force Brentford's hand on negotiating. 

I think we're after a winger, I don't think that's Benrahma and I don't think we know who it is. I think we're after a central midfield player too and I think we've spoken to representatives of a Turin club about a player who covers one of those positions last week but no idea who that could be. 

14 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think the problem is our wage bill has to meet FFP standards so spending little but having an inflated wage bill would see us healthily avoid any trouble with player fees but could put us in trouble wage wise and also will make a lot of the current squad come knocking on purslows door asking why they're on X% less than the guy they've just signed who's sat on the bench.

As for Joe Hart, strongly disagree. He's not looked good at all in years, even Nyland has had a couple of great games for us in the last year and Steer was good enough when last called upon in the championship run-in

6 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Players will risk running their contracts down because they know it'll be a huge payday for them signing on a free. I think the rule of thumb is (or was before fees went sky-high) that the player and agent will generally earn whatever the club would've paid in transfer fees themselves in sign-on fees and wages. 

I do think getting a player on a free will cost a bit more in wages for sure but ultimately I think it still works out better value than if say they had 3 or 4 years on a contract and you had to pay a large fee to their clubs. Ryan Fraser when he's on it is a very good winger and given none of our wingers inspire much confidence it would have made sense to have a look at him. However, I believe because of his 'high' wages etc we didn't actually give it a second thought. 

Then again if Wilson preferred the barcodes to us then Fraser probably would have done too. 

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think the problem is our wage bill has to meet FFP standards so spending little but having an inflated wage bill would see us healthily avoid any trouble with player fees but could put us in trouble wage wise and also will make a lot of the current squad come knocking on purslows door asking why they're on X% less than the guy they've just signed who's sat on the bench.

As for Joe Hart, strongly disagree. He's not looked good at all in years, even Nyland has had a couple of great games for us in the last year and Steer was good enough when last called upon in the championship run-in

Our wage bill is pretty low by Premier League standards. About 64 million I think . Not so long ago it was well over 100 million.

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I do think getting a player on a free will cost a bit more in wages for sure but ultimately I think it still works out better value than if say they had 3 or 4 years on a contract and you had to pay a large fee to their clubs. Ryan Fraser when he's on it is a very good winger and given none of our wingers inspire much confidence it would have made sense to have a look at him. However, I believe because of his 'high' wages etc we didn't actually give it a second thought. 

Then again if Wilson preferred the barcodes to us then Fraser probably would have done too. 

How did you work that out?

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

You are probably right about wages but it is very clearly holding us back. It seems like 90% of the teams in the Prem are able to pay higher wages than us. The barcodes have only been in the Prem for 3 years now yet seem to be able to pay an awful lot in wages if they're bringing in both Fraser and Wilson. I'm not sure who our highest earner is, probably Jack, but if wages is one of the reasons we've been unable to bring in the quality we need this summer it could see us relegated back to the Championship again next season and we'll be back to square one anyway. 

I just don't think the people who run our club are getting the balance right and it's a worry.

37 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Free transfers aren't 'free'. They cost a fortune in fees and wages. 

And Joe Hart? Really. He's absolutely shite now. 

Yeah no need for Joe Hart as he's done now but 10m + players also cost plenty in wages. It's why we still can't move Hogan on even though he actually scored some goals for a period last season.

To me the players you built around are obviously Mings, McGinn, Luiz and Grealish. You then sign a couple of players in 10-20m range who over a year or two can hopefully develop into premier league players of good standard e.g. Watkins or Benrahama then the rest I'd just be happy plugging with loans and free transfers or low fees.

Ultimately most clubs now operate within 3 year cycles with squads. Spurs had a stable squad since 2015. You could see after they lost the CL final last year half of them were done and wanted out.

We will mostly like sell many of the players we signed last year next summer so I don't really see the point of wanting to sign a 15m player in every single position as they're not all going to be amazing so would rather have a sticky plaster in a couple of positions.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How did you work that out?

Because I think the nonsense about him being a Coventry fan and that being the reason he didn't want to come here is untrue. I think he feels Newcastle will do better than Villa and not be in a relegation battle and hence why he's gone there. And therefore I think Fraser would think the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It seems like 90% of the teams in the Prem are able to pay higher wages than us. The barcodes have only been in the Prem for 3 years now yet seem to be able to pay an awful lot in wages if they're bringing in both Fraser and Wilson

As has been covered in the last few pages, we are not allowed to pay wages as high as most of the league. The three years Newcastle have been in the PL is the time that lets them pay ‘full’ PL wages under FFP. 

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

You are probably right about wages but it is very clearly holding us back. It seems like 90% of the teams in the Prem are able to pay higher wages than us. The barcodes have only been in the Prem for 3 years now yet seem to be able to pay an awful lot in wages if they're bringing in both Fraser and Wilson. I'm not sure who our highest earner is, probably Jack, but if wages is one of the reasons we've been unable to bring in the quality we need this summer it could see us relegated back to the Championship again next season and we'll be back to square one anyway. 

I just don't think the people who run our club are getting the balance right and it's a worry.

Hangover from last ownership really, Lansbury earns more than Hourihane which says it all.