Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Veltman is a more experienced campaigner than Engels and if you swapped them we'd be a better side. He's a bit like Vlaar in my opinion (but better on the ball and less injury prone) in being an under the radar but very effective signing. I think he'll play regularly at Brighton alongside Dunk and improve them. 

The Benrahma thing still confuses me. It seems like we've been interested in him for 2 summers, but won't make a move for him. I personally think if we're buying from Brentford go with Benrahma over Watkins then try to bring in a really proven goalscorer. I fear we'll put all our eggs in one basket with Watkins and he'll struggle with the pressure just like Wesley did.

Ultimately though I just want a couple of big signings that give me confidence we won't be in a long hard fight next season. Looking doubtful in every passing day and week that that is going to happen. 

Wesley wasn’t a target man anyway, he was a second striker. For Watkins, he excelled last season as the main striker in a 433 which we usually use.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not going to happen. As discussed we can't offer good wages at Premier League levels. I mean in the real world our players will still earn millions, but perhaps not tens of millions. If Newcastle can offer more attractive contracts than us even under cuddly Mike Ashley it shows we still have a bit of work to do just to become a mid table side again.

What on earth would we want to pay a player ‘tens of millions for anyway’ even if we never went down we wouldn’t want to pay a player that there is only about 20 teams in world football who can and even then it’s only for a handful of players.

As for FFP no fan has a clue what the current situation is you would need to work out

Our situation in the final year of the championship

Know everything about our spend last year (which there are no figures)

Work out how Covid effected our finances, know how it will effect this coming years.

Adjust then for the different FFP regulatory systems for 1 year in the championship and 2 for the premier league.

You would need to know how the previous transfers are to be paid and not just their overall figure.

and finally (if I haven’t missed something which I probably have) work out how the allowances made for FFP in the light of Covid  benefit us.

• Like 1

I look at the noise coming out the club compared to the activity so far - easiest way to gouge where we are at as a club .. the players saying they have been told quality will come in and we will kick on, Smith saying he wanted players in early and then compare that to the business we have done so far and quite clearly it’s not adding up. I’m aware we still have a while to go but I don’t believe the club thought we would only have one signing in by now and that being a right back. I also don’t believe we’d spend what we did on him if money was the issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wonder if we are still in for Glen Kamara, there we quite a few links to him in January. Perhaps we have moved on and are aiming higher now. He played for Finland today when they beat Ireland, didn't see the game, would have been interesting to see how he coped against the Irish midfield.

Man of the match for me, neat and tidy player who I’m sure would make it in the PL. Would love to see him at the Villa!

Of course being Finnish I might be a bit biased, but haven’t been as excited about a Finnish player in ages.

• Thanks 1

If the rumours on tweeter are true that we're now looking at Josh King after losing out on Callum Wilson, well, that is worrying. I'm hoping that is just pure lazy speculation and nothing more. 

I just hope that, when the window closes, we have strengthened the three forward positions with better than what we had last season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Veltman is very injury prone so is Lallana and Clyne and the last 2 probably on big wages. Hart is crap and Ryan Fraser is a piece of shit who  isnt even a great player. Sarr was never coming to a team like Villa

No Veltman is not. He's played a bit less the last 2 seasons partly because of injuries and also some rotation, but he's still played more games in 2 years than Mings had in 4 years at Bournemouth when we brought him in on loan and we ended up paying over £20m for him and got laughed at because of it! 

Interesting last comment - 'never coming to a team like Villa'. And people think I'm disrespectful towards the club. If that's our attitude, and indeed if that's the club's attitude, it's no wonder we struggle to bring in players of sufficient quality. 

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Wesley wasn’t a target man anyway, he was a second striker. For Watkins, he excelled last season as the main striker in a 433 which we usually use.

In the Championship yes. I wouldn't ordinarily be opposed to us taking on a punt on someone like Watkins IF we weren't in a position where it is absolutely essential we get the striker position right. For that reason I'd look at someone more proven or we could be in the same position as we were last season if it's not working. 

Ideally we'd bring in 2 strikers, one of which could be Watkins, but unless the other one comes in on loan I doubt we'll be spending that much.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

If the rumours on tweeter are true that we're now looking at Josh King after losing out on Callum Wilson, well, that is worrying. I'm hoping that is just pure lazy speculation and nothing more. 

I just hope that, when the window closes, we have strengthened the three forward positions with better than what we had last season. 

Josh King is a decent player and proven at this level. He is better than what we currently have in the forward positions.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

To be fair Josh King would improve that

5 hours ago, RicRic said:

I wish you was in control of our club id be able to sleep better at night.. i have little faith and this new week will be the last chance for to prove me wrong. Yeah im not against Watkins but we are rating him higher than he probably is many of us are obsessed with signing him. Im not even too comfortable with Edouard but i feel he may be the one to go for out the two but why limit ourselves to just those two.. aren’t there any firing strikers in Europe bundesliga or serie A etc. We need a winger on at least one of the flanks too that is a top priority also

Winger and striker has to be priority. If we can get good quality in those areas we might, just might, be able to get a CM and a couple of other signings in too but it's going to be tight. I'd love Sarr from Watford, young and with a lot of potential, but unfortunately I don't see us paying the price Watford want for him. I'd also love Tammy back but again not hopeful tbh. 

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This is precisely the moment when a guy like Keinan Davis should step up in training and friendlies and start scoring some bloody goals.

Agree, or he needs to play in a different position, arguably he would make a better midfielder,, maybe. I suspect it will be a loan somewhere next season. 

Wonder if Jens Petter Hauge could make the step up to English football. I normally don't like the idea of buying Norwegian footballers, but he'd be relatively cheap and wages would be very low. And it's a position we need alternatives in.