Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

How on earth has this got to talking about sturridge?! Serious this thread has taken a deep dive into the looney bin. 

Just for the sake of clarity, Sturridge would be a terrible signing for the following reasons:- 

1. Injuries - constantly injured. He managed 11 games in Turkey.
  2. Poor attitude - made his money and happy to live off past glory likely to increase wage demand.
  3. The gambling ban - feeds into the poor attitude and shows a lack of interest in the game itself.
  4. Doesn’t really score goals anymore - his last good season was 2013/4 when he scored 21 goals. He did score 13 in 2015/6 but only played 25 games due to injuries.
  5. Age - wrong side of 30 (shortly 31).

*other reasons are available. 

Just simply no. Complete and utter waste of time and money. Cannot in any circumstance is looking at him.

Now can we start talking about more realistic options like Messi please?! :popcorn:

We should riot if they spend the club money on him, I would rather they burn the money in the furnace at least that gives off heat as a positive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beachboys1 said:

how did liverpool fans rate purslow

Did they? Wasn’t he responsible for the absolute shower of shite they signed in the Andy Carroll days? Or am I getting my people mixed up?

Either way, I don’t see what Purslow has done wrong. Wage bill is down, we haven’t really spent that much as we did have a full rebuild and we stayed in the league. I don’t see how the last two years could be considered anything but a success for all involved. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

we arent gonna sign anyone before the season starts. Not itk its just what i think.

I honestly believe theres been a huge cock up with lange. Came in too late and cant attract the names we want, so we are back to the drawing board.

Cue some bs about how well we finished the season and that we dont need to bring anyone in at this stage.

You aren't feeling the Lange?

In his interview on AVTV, Dean said that things were well underway with transfers and that they just take a bit of time. He seemed totally unconcerned by it all. We all just need to keep the faith and have a bit of patience. It is Wednesday after all!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

In his interview on AVTV, Dean said that things were well underway with transfers and that they just take a bit of time. He seemed totally unconcerned by it all. We all just need to keep the faith and have a bit of patience. It is Wednesday after all!

It’s a strange pre season and things will happen but it is probably that teams are all fearful of the unknown and some are probably holding out for more money due to the situation clubs are in financially due to a loss of £.

We don’t need to bed in 10 players who cost on average £10m. The team spirit is there. Those who do come in will be a big upgrade on what we did last season. With that in mind we should panic less!

• Like 1

I can't help but feel that Johan Lange is going to have a couple of names that he thinks can bolster our squad and out of those sold by Copenhagen in recent years the two that stand out for me are:

Robin Olsen - 30yo 'Keeper who they sold to Roma and now plays at Cagliari. He is Sweden's no.1 and would cost less than £10m.

Robert Skov - 24yo midfielder who can play left or right side of midfield and has even played at left back. They sold him to Hoffenheim for £9m last summer so should be able to get him for less than £15m.

If they've got anything about them that's better than what we have now I can see Lange trying to bring them here. 

If they could be bought for a combined £20m would folks be happy? 

Edited by Villarocker

I get the feeling Purslow isn’t far behind Levy in piggy bank management, wanting to wring every penny out of a deal, he’s clearly worked wonders with our wages. Looks like we are standing on the side lines with a full purse waiting for the market level to be established before he commits to an offer. Looks like many other teams are doing the same thing - a Mexican stand-off. Just hope we don’t f*ck it up and miss our targets in trying to get full value, last two windows the prices increased as the window ran to the end. We have 4-5 players to close so it’s us who will be under pressure. Brentford know we want Watkins and Benrahma and will just dig their heels in like they did with Maupay, Benrahma and Watkins last season. In fairness, their valuation is bang on and we are not really affected by Covid restrictions as our owners mop up any losses right up to the FFP limit. I think we will have to pay £52m for both.

Edited by thunderball

Arguably, we got in so many unproven players last year because we were the biggest club in for them. If our strategy were to be the same this year, I’d expect we would have already seen a number of signings.  

I think the slowness in transfer business reflects that we’re trying to play on another level in the transfer market this year. Whether we pull it off or not remains to be seen. Nixon’s tweet about Villa being ‘minted’ but just needing one big move to fall into place related to this issue. 

Going after proven quality means going after players who are invariably on others clubs’ radars. It means playing with the big boys: structuring your deals in the right way, getting the details right. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 1

If possible, I'd be happy with this lot:

Dumfries - £15m (RB & RCB cover) 

Benrahma - £25m (LAM) 

Skov - £12m (RAM) 

Edouard - £30m (ST) 

Spend the remaining £18m on whoever else is needed but I'd be happy those to start with. 

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Benrahma - £25m (LAM) 

Skov - £12m (RAM) 

Edouard - £30m (ST) 

Spend the remaining £18m on whoever else is needed but I'd be happy those to start with. 

Watkins of course. Bish bash bosh

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Benrahma - £25m (LAM) 

Skov - £12m (RAM) 

Edouard - £30m (ST) 

Wouldn't want Skov.  Not much of an upgrade on what we have and only mentioned because of the Lange link.  I would prefer Buendia.

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I trust our owners and I know patience is needed but I'm getting a little desperate for some movement. 

I think we made big errors last summer, I'm a little concerned we are going to do it again. 

If you’re worried about making mistakes, surely not rushing in to a market, that is pretty slow all round anyway, would be a pretty sensible thing to do?