Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

A high number on here have either wanted a new front 3 and move jack back to a number 10 (if he stays) or they have wanted to keep him on the left and sign a new cm.

Even with free transfers, loans, loan to buy, cheap players etc I would want them to be an upgrade on the starting 11 and the previous seasons starter moves to the bench.

We may have limited resources so we don’t want to waste it by signing a shed load of average players, it’s not really worked for us in the past doin a big overhaul in the PL. I would like us to add around 4 quality players and also hopefully keep Reina. As an example I would prefer us to sign someone like benrahma than trez and el ghazi again. It has to be quality over quantity.

We also didn’t have the quality of Luiz until the restart so in a way he is kind of like a new signing, as most (including me) were crying out for us to get someone in to play that role.

I don’t disagree with the ‘Benrahma over Trez/El Ghazi’ argument, but that’s not what I’m saying we should consider.

A Ryan Fraser/ James McCarthy player is, in my opinion, valuable in a different way, providing the wages/fees are fairly minuscule in comparison to the £20-30m players that we should be signing for the first team.

To put it another way. I’ve seen us linked to a few young prospects, like that 18-year-old fullback from Scotland that can play left or right. To me, that’s the same type of signing as the ones that I’m advocating. They’re players that won’t go into the first team, but that will improve the group. The only differences are that a young player can improve in time (positive) and that they won’t have the Premier League experience that our group needs when going through a tough patch (negative).

I don’t recall seeing as many negative comments about bringing in these young ‘for the future’ types, even though they’re not players that will go straight into the first eleven either.

20 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t disagree with the ‘Benrahma over Trez/El Ghazi’ argument, but that’s not what I’m saying we should consider.

A Ryan Fraser/ James McCarthy player is, in my opinion, valuable in a different way, providing the wages/fees are fairly minuscule in comparison to the £20-30m players that we should be signing for the first team.

To put it another way. I’ve seen us linked to a few young prospects, like that 18-year-old fullback from Scotland that can play left or right. To me, that’s the same type of signing as the ones that I’m advocating. They’re players that won’t go into the first team, but that will improve the group. The only differences are that a young player can improve in time (positive) and that they won’t have the Premier League experience that our group needs when going through a tough patch (negative).

I don’t recall seeing as many negative comments about bringing in these young ‘for the future’ types, even though they’re not players that will go straight into the first eleven either.

Problem is, the wages won’t be minuscule. There are too many players in the league that are overpaid and overrated or coasting on past reputation. Even riskier are the players with poor injury records...

Again, we really need to learn the lesson from the Drinkwater move. These guys are either on huge wages or will be asking for them along with high signing fees. Hardly ever worth it. From their perspective, it’s often a massive opportunity to make a killing financially.

Not saying there won’t be exceptions but that this is usually the case and there is often a lot of regret afterwards

How did we get on with Lescott & Richards?

They had plenty of PL experience but a fat lot of good that did us!

I agree regarding the young players and some of them could turn out to be real stars.

Even better if they are good enough to come off the bench and help the first team out.

Personally, I’d like to also see us get a couple more Douglas Luiz type signings (young & high potential with the ability to impact the first team). One of the reasons why I keep banging on about Gabriel Barbosa and similar.

These guys can supplement (hopefully) the high impact, high quality players we are signing that will be going straight into the first team.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I thought it was just the UEFA FFP that was relaxed, and that the Prem one was unchanged (for now). If that’s the case, then the budget will be what Purslow & Co deem to be disposable from incomings due to our Prem status (TV money, sponsorship etc).

My guess would be between £100m-£120m.

Which, at approximately £20-30m per player, would bring in around 4 players.

To be honest I don’t really know what is going on with ffp, especially after the Man City case. I’d suspect though that the PL would find it difficult to punish anyone trying to inject money into the game under the present set of circumstances. 

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Problem is, the wages won’t be minuscule. There are too many players in the league that are overpaid and overrated or coasting on past reputation. Even riskier are the players with poor injury records...

Again, we really need to learn the lesson from the Drinkwater move. These guys are either on huge wages or will be asking for them along with high signing fees. Hardly ever worth it. From their perspective, it’s often a massive opportunity to make a killing financially.

Not saying there won’t be exceptions but that this is usually the case and there is often a lot of regret afterwards

How did we get on with Lescott & Richards?

They had plenty of PL experience but a fat lot of good that did us!

I agree regarding the young players and some of them could turn out to be real stars.

Even better if they are good enough to come off the bench and help the first team out.

Personally, I’d like to also see us get a couple more Douglas Luiz type signings (young & high potential with the ability to impact the first team). One of the reasons why I keep banging on about Gabriel Barbosa and similar.

These guys can supplement (hopefully) the high impact, high quality players we are signing that will be going straight into the first team.

I’m talking about the ‘exceptions’ then, as you put it. I’m not talking about getting a Lescott, Richards or Drinkwater on £60-100k p/w to sit on the bench. Why would me or anyone else think that’s a good idea?

Moreso a stable Prem player that may accept a, relatively, reasonable wage. Bearing in mind that Lansbury is on something like £40k p/w. Sometimes players moving into the twilight of their career accept a paycut if it means they’ll get to play a part, instead of being a 7th choice midfielder on Everton’s bench (for example).

9 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Dean is in perfect place if Brentford lose 

I presume hes at the playoff final then. Anyone else, barring the obvious, who he could be watching? Henry perhaps?

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’m talking about the ‘exceptions’ then, as you put it. I’m not talking about getting a Lescott, Richards or Drinkwater on £60-100k p/w to sit on the bench. Why would me or anyone else think that’s a good idea?

Moreso a stable Prem player that may accept a, relatively, reasonable wage. Bearing in mind that Lansbury is on something like £40k p/w. Sometimes players moving into the twilight of their career accept a paycut if it means they’ll get to play a part, instead of being a 7th choice midfielder on Everton’s bench (for example).

Apologies for any misunderstanding, I wasn’t indicating that that is the kind of player you personally wanted us to target.

I was thinking in general, that that often turns out to be the case.

I can’t think of many useful players in the league who accept a minimal wage. They would be happier to stay where they are on their high wage.

Just my opinion (backed up by some visible examples). We have paid the price for the wrong moves many, many times in the past & wastes a hell of a lot of money.

I don’t expect the club to do that now anyway tbh, these guys seems to have some sense and nous...

I'm not particularly bothered who wins the playoff final tonight but I'm swaying more towards Fulham simply because we have a decent chance of going after Benrahma then you'd think. 

He's my number 1 target, was desperate for him last summer and it's the same again this time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I presume hes at the playoff final then. Anyone else, barring the obvious, who he could be watching? Henry perhaps?

He's on the Sky Sports 1 pre-match build up with Rosenoir.  Literally pitch side right now haha

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

He's on the Sky Sports 1 pre-match build up with Rosenoir.  Literally pitch side right now haha

Just saw that 😄 On a Dean-related note, I wonder when the last time a Villa manager's thread ended up on page 2 of this forum?  I guess it's a good thing.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Just saw that 😄 On a Dean-related note, I wonder when the last time a Villa manager's thread ended up on page 2 of this forum?  I guess it's a good thing.

Certainly don't recall the Brucey thread ever falling that low! 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I've watched 5 minutes of this game and I want Benrahma at Villa next season any way possible.

£15 million, £20 million, £30 million. Get it done Villa.

We blew it last summer

I think we've missed our chance.

• Like 2