Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I would very much like to buy one distinct left and right sided winger which these are. This year we ended up with only Jota that preferred the right hand side

Two great wingers. Mentioned them both before. I'd lean towards Chounir as first choice if I had to choose now just to get some pace in the side. We're so desperate for it and he's a bit more direct than Stengs.

Both would be great buys.

In complete agreement. I think that's what Smith wants too - players with particularly strong feet opposite to the wing their on.

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

WOAH!  You can't just come in with new names without the obituary YouTube videos. 

I assume you mean obligatory. A very VERY different meaning to obituary

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Yeah, so that's the Germerican phenomenon you're talking about right there—specifically in many cases, German-born sons of German mothers and American-military fathers. From the Bob Bradley to Jürgen Klinsmann eras, the U.S. national team uncovered a handful of really solid players who came up through the German youth system but hadn't been capped by the German team at the senior level (Jones played in friendlies). These were established Bundesliga players who had varying connections to the U.S., personally and culturally, but had or were eligible for U.S. citizenship and walked right into the team (most of them deservedly). Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson were good examples of this. Also were Timothy Chandler, Julian Green (who Klinsmann infamously brought to the 2014 World Cup as an unproven teenager in lieu of Landon Donovan), and players like John Brooks at Wolfsburg, who is still with the team when uninjured (and has tattoos of his dual hometowns of Berlin and Chicago on his arms).

There are plenty more German-American dual nationals on offer (and Weston McKennie also lived in Germany during his childhood and was culturally familiar with the country prior to moving to the Bundesliga), but I think what we're seeing now is less of a singular phenomenon (the Germericans) and more of what all and especially first-world nations encounter in a globalized footballing ecosystem: players with ties to more than one country make decisions about whom to represent. So recently, Sergiño Dest (Netherlands), Antonee Robinson, and Duane Holmes (both England) have declared and turned out for the USMNT, while any number of Mexican-Americans have chosen one way or another according to their personal prospects and loyalties. It's not unlike England, with Scotland, Ireland, and Wales-eligible players deciding whom to represent, or Caribbean and African country-eligible players going one way or another based on their own prospects.

This is all a long way of saying, while I think there is a history there with Americans playing in the Bundesliga, I think most of the current relationship is down to practical-logistical factors. For instance, there have been suggestions that Brexit, apart from the terrible and awful things that it will accomplish, will result in a relaxing of UK work permit requirements for Americans, which may lead to more and more Americans without European passports or established UK ties signing with Championship-level clubs or coming up through Premier League academies hoping to break through. A good case and point is Sebastian Soto, who just signed for Norwich City from Hannover 96. As he is not currently eligible for a work permit, he'll immediately go back out on loan, probably to a 2.Bundesliga or Eredivisie side, which puts him in a slightly confusing position and makes many people wonder why he made the move other than to get out of a bad club situation in Germany. But if the rules change a bit, I think we'll see more and more Americans coming over before they break through than after they've established themselves elsewhere.

100% this.  Tifo Football has a great video on this on YT.  Basically, due to German work permit laws, they can sign American youngsters for nothing, keep them in the country, and develop them before most other EU countries and they're taking advantage of the situation.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, John said:

I would rather like Fulham to taste play-off final defeat, then they really would be doing a Villa. I still bare a grudge from that final. :angry:  

I think you should aim your grudge at Steve Bruce for setting us up as though we were playing against Barcelona.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve not heard of him?

Exeter are my local side and he's very highly thought of.

Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern have all been in contact with him even going over to play for Bayerns academy last season.

Last two out of the Academy were Ollie Watkins and Ethan Ampadu so lets hope he progresses the same way!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I’ve just seen Edouard has scored 40 goals in 60 appearances for Celtic and now I want him.

He probably scored all 40 in a single home fixture against Hamilton Academical but it’s still impressive.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So I’ve just seen Edouard has scored 40 goals in 60 appearances for Celtic and now I want him.

He probably scored all 40 in a single home fixture against Hamilton Academical but it’s still impressive.

He is very good. I think he will be a top player. He has much more chance of making it in England than Morelos. Anything less than £30m and we should be trying to do business.

Just now, M_Afro said:

He is very good. I think he will be a top player. He has much more chance of making it in England than Morelos. Anything less than £30m and we should be trying to do business.

I agree, I like him and said the same re Morelos when we were linked last year.