Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

9 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I have an awful feeling that our first signing will be so underwhelming compared to all the names linked in this thread.

I see a few teams are trying to structure payments for incomings due to the uncertainty in the current climate,i wonder if this will be a factor for us as i honestly expected at least one sniff of a signing by now.

I think it would be a real gamble for us if were to wait as opposed to getting our business done early..time will tell

I don't think any delays are necessarily by choice, it's an unsure market at the moment, some teams are still in competitions i.e. championship, europe etc. players/managers/agents are on holiday while they can before pre-season. It's not like there's been loads of other transfers in the Premier League thus far, add in that we don't leak genuine information about transfers anymore and I expect it to stay quiet for maybe another week yet, I'm sure we are working on plenty behind the scenes but there's only so much we can do until the market starts moving. There will be paper talk, but 99% of that is nonsense.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Yeah, so that's the Germerican phenomenon you're talking about right there—specifically in many cases, German-born sons of German mothers and American-military fathers. From the Bob Bradley to Jürgen Klinsmann eras, the U.S. national team uncovered a handful of really solid players who came up through the German youth system but hadn't been capped by the German team at the senior level (Jones played in friendlies). These were established Bundesliga players who had varying connections to the U.S., personally and culturally, but had or were eligible for U.S. citizenship and walked right into the team (most of them deservedly). Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson were good examples of this. Also were Timothy Chandler, Julian Green (who Klinsmann infamously brought to the 2014 World Cup as an unproven teenager in lieu of Landon Donovan), and players like John Brooks at Wolfsburg, who is still with the team when uninjured (and has tattoos of his dual hometowns of Berlin and Chicago on his arms).

There are plenty more German-American dual nationals on offer (and Weston McKennie also lived in Germany during his childhood and was culturally familiar with the country prior to moving to the Bundesliga), but I think what we're seeing now is less of a singular phenomenon (the Germericans) and more of what all and especially first-world nations encounter in a globalized footballing ecosystem: players with ties to more than one country make decisions about whom to represent. So recently, Sergiño Dest (Netherlands), Antonee Robinson, and Duane Holmes (both England) have declared and turned out for the USMNT, while any number of Mexican-Americans have chosen one way or another according to their personal prospects and loyalties. It's not unlike England, with Scotland, Ireland, and Wales-eligible players deciding whom to represent, or Caribbean and African country-eligible players going one way or another based on their own prospects.

This is all a long way of saying, while I think there is a history there with Americans playing in the Bundesliga, I think most of the current relationship is down to practical-logistical factors. For instance, there have been suggestions that Brexit, apart from the terrible and awful things that it will accomplish, will result in a relaxing of UK work permit requirements for Americans, which may lead to more and more Americans without European passports or established UK ties signing with Championship-level clubs or coming up through Premier League academies hoping to break through. A good case and point is Sebastian Soto, who just signed for Norwich City from Hannover 96. As he is not currently eligible for a work permit, he'll immediately go back out on loan, probably to a 2.Bundesliga or Eredivisie side, which puts him in a slightly confusing position and makes many people wonder why he made the move other than to get out of a bad club situation in Germany. But if the rules change a bit, I think we'll see more and more Americans coming over before they break through than after they've established themselves elsewhere.

Do you think Trump has even considered the impact removing troops from Germany will have on the USMNT? 

The figure tweeted by Alan Nixon that Wigan want for Robinson is 1.5 million now relegation is confirmed. Milan were gonna pay 10 million for him in January. How in the name of sweet baby jesus could villa not be all over this right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villa Stu said:

If we sign a better player than hourihane he gets pushed to the bench, Lansbury is further from the squad. 

I don’t get why people can’t understand that if you improve the starting 11 the knock on effect is you improve your bench/squad

In 90% of the ‘next first eleven’ teams that I’ve seen, we haven’t got new CMs. The general consensus is that we need a new front 3 and possibly a CB.

In my example, those are the positions that I’m assuming we strengthen in 3-4 positions.

I don’t get why people can’t understand that we’ve still got a limited budget to significantly improve a number of positions, so it’s not unreasonable that free transfers or cheap (ie:1-5m) options could be also used to improve the wider squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

In 90% of the ‘next first eleven’ teams that I’ve seen, we haven’t got new CMs. The general consensus is that we need a new front 3 and possibly a CB.

In my example, those are the positions that I’m assuming we strengthen in 3-4 positions.

I don’t get why people can’t understand that we’ve still got a limited budget to significantly improve a number of positions, so it’s not unreasonable that free transfers or cheap (ie:1-5m) options could be also used to improve the wider squad.

If there are very good loans we could snap up and as you say free transfers for experienced players we should do.

We do need to really bring in a couple more midfielders and a whole new frontline, desperate to see new Wingers and a striker or two, hope they are priority. 

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

What are the limiting factors in our budget, given the suspension of ffp? 

21 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

A high number on here have either wanted a new front 3 and move jack back to a number 10 (if he stays) or they have wanted to keep him on the left and sign a new cm.

Even with free transfers, loans, loan to buy, cheap players etc I would want them to be an upgrade on the starting 11 and the previous seasons starter moves to the bench.

We may have limited resources so we don’t want to waste it by signing a shed load of average players, it’s not really worked for us in the past doin a big overhaul in the PL. I would like us to add around 4 quality players and also hopefully keep Reina. As an example I would prefer us to sign someone like benrahma than trez and el ghazi again. It has to be quality over quantity.

We also didn’t have the quality of Luiz until the restart so in a way he is kind of like a new signing, as most (including me) were crying out for us to get someone in to play that role.

Edited by Villa Stu

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

What are the limiting factors in our budget, given the suspension of ffp? 

I thought it was just the UEFA FFP that was relaxed, and that the Prem one was unchanged (for now). If that’s the case, then the budget will be what Purslow & Co deem to be disposable from incomings due to our Prem status (TV money, sponsorship etc).

My guess would be between £100m-£120m.

Which, at approximately £20-30m per player, would bring in around 4 players.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Don't palace want £80 million for Zaha? Think he's overrated tbh, certainly can get better value for that money 

I think the fee would be nearer 50mil. Certainly not more than that.

4 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I have just realised that the A in cazoo on our new shirt is a car...mind blown..ok back to signings😇

Oh sweet Jesus, so it is.  I hadn’t even realised that! Mind blown 🤯 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1