Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Wonder if Yangel Herrera will come onto our radar at some point. Had a really good season on loan at Granada who made europa league. On loan from Man. City and he's a DM so given the belated success we had with Doug that could be an option for a season long loan at least.

Think I've mentioned him before but Justin Kluivert is another I'd look at.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Yeah, so that's the Germerican phenomenon you're talking about right there—specifically in many cases, German-born sons of German mothers and American-military fathers. From the Bob Bradley to Jürgen Klinsmann eras, the U.S. national team uncovered a handful of really solid players who came up through the German youth system but hadn't been capped by the German team at the senior level (Jones played in friendlies). These were established Bundesliga players who had varying connections to the U.S., personally and culturally, but had or were eligible for U.S. citizenship and walked right into the team (most of them deservedly). Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson were good examples of this. Also were Timothy Chandler, Julian Green (who Klinsmann infamously brought to the 2014 World Cup as an unproven teenager in lieu of Landon Donovan), and players like John Brooks at Wolfsburg, who is still with the team when uninjured (and has tattoos of his dual hometowns of Berlin and Chicago on his arms).

There are plenty more German-American dual nationals on offer (and Weston McKennie also lived in Germany during his childhood and was culturally familiar with the country prior to moving to the Bundesliga), but I think what we're seeing now is less of a singular phenomenon (the Germericans) and more of what all and especially first-world nations encounter in a globalized footballing ecosystem: players with ties to more than one country make decisions about whom to represent. So recently, Sergiño Dest (Netherlands), Antonee Robinson, and Duane Holmes (both England) have declared and turned out for the USMNT, while any number of Mexican-Americans have chosen one way or another according to their personal prospects and loyalties. It's not unlike England, with Scotland, Ireland, and Wales-eligible players deciding whom to represent, or Caribbean and African country-eligible players going one way or another based on their own prospects.

This is all a long way of saying, while I think there is a history there with Americans playing in the Bundesliga, I think most of the current relationship is down to practical-logistical factors. For instance, there have been suggestions that Brexit, apart from the terrible and awful things that it will accomplish, will result in a relaxing of UK work permit requirements for Americans, which may lead to more and more Americans without European passports or established UK ties signing with Championship-level clubs or coming up through Premier League academies hoping to break through. A good case and point is Sebastian Soto, who just signed for Norwich City from Hannover 96. As he is not currently eligible for a work permit, he'll immediately go back out on loan, probably to a 2.Bundesliga or Eredivisie side, which puts him in a slightly confusing position and makes many people wonder why he made the move other than to get out of a bad club situation in Germany. But if the rules change a bit, I think we'll see more and more Americans coming over before they break through than after they've established themselves elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. I see another USMNT member; Ulysses Llanez Jr. is currently in the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg. Any good? 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id definitely take ryan sessagnon. What a player he is. Mourinho the worst manager for him

Have to say not impreseed by benrama. 30m im not sure he is worth that

Apparently it’s more like 40 million, no way is he worth what Sarr is or two Eze’s

Not sure what people are expecting to see from Benrahma. Clearly everything goes through him and he is the only one that looks likely to make something happen for Brentford.

edit: he’s not having an amazing game but who is? It’s probably why you can’t really judge a player on 45 minutes of a final.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Ryan Sessegnon anyone? I know he’s dropped off a cliff the last couple of years, but still only 20 and hugely talented. Can play left back or left wing.  

I wouldn’t be against a year loan with an option to buy if Spurs would entertain it?

Very good suggestion 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I've watched 3 and a half games in recent weeks with benrahma in and I'm yet to see the hype. Hoping in wrong, but apart from a couple of decent long range strikes, been very disappointed.

Rico Henry at LB has looked good every time though. 

He's definitely a good player but definitely a bit overhyped too. Especially on this site.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not sure what people are expecting to see from Benrahma. Clearly everything goes through him and he is the only one that looks likely to make something happen for Brentford.

If we judged players based on finals Jack would. Be bang average

• Like 3

Just now, Jbvilla909 said:

I think we should be looking for the next Benrahma/Mahrez etc rather than paying 4x what it could cost us 

We dont have that luxury..maybe when we are a settled premier league team..but now we need to have proven players to strengthen the current squad..we need experience and pace as we are very slow

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we judged players based on finals Jack would. Be bang average

Dunno, he was brilliant second half of the Fulham game, trying to single handedly haul us back into it.  Not to mention his solo run.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

edit: he’s not having an amazing game but who is? It’s probably why you can’t really judge a player on 45 minutes of a final.

Anyone looking in on Jack over 9 of the last 10 games might think he is over rated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

We dont have that luxury..maybe when we are a settled premier league team..but now we need to have proven players to strengthen the current squad..we need experience and pace as we are very slow

Benrahma isn't proven at prem level, most seem to be clammering over him tho

3 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Either was Konsa..he is now of course..but dean smith knew Konsa's qualities and i expect something similar in relation to benrahma

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

I would regard him as the likely best player in the championship, that counts for something. I reckon he would step up, but agree the hype at the moment is probably bigger than the talent he shows. £25m would be a lot of money, a club record.

Florian Belgium has refused a contract with Arsenal and Brentford had a bid rejected of £5mill last summer I believe. 19 yo with so much talent ... These are the type of players I expect us to target moving forward. obligatory YouTube video ... 

A huge upgrade on Davis & Samatta thats for sure! 

• Like 1

Just now, OLDVILLAIN said:

Either was Konsa..he is now of course..but dean smith knew Konsa's qualities and i expect something similar in relation to benrahma

For sure, I haven't seen much of Benrahma to be fair, he's definitely got quality just not proven at prem level, like Konsa as you say, it took him time to adjust, have we got the time if Benrahma needs to adjust.?