Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I would regard him as the likely best player in the championship, that counts for something. I reckon he would step up, but agree the hype at the moment is probably bigger than the talent he shows. £25m would be a lot of money, a club record.

If we do sign him, I just hope the fan base doesn't turn on him if he's not hitting the ground running after the first few games, given the hype around him that is a danger 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Either was Konsa..he is now of course..but dean smith knew Konsa's qualities and i expect something similar in relation to benrahma

Konsa isn't really Premier League proven though is he? Everyone seems to be raving about him after a couple of decent performances late in the season, but we had the 2nd worst defence in the league, and he played his part in that!

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Florian Belgium has refused a contract with Arsenal and Brentford had a bid rejected of £5mill last summer I believe. 19 yo with so much talent ... These are the type of players I expect us to target moving forward. obligatory YouTube video ... 

A huge upgrade on Davis & Samatta thats for sure! 

No first team experience.

Andre Green and RHM's highlight reel at U23 football probably looks similar to this.

Liverpool reportedly after him so he must have something. But we need first team players in this window.

5 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Yeah, so that's the Germerican phenomenon you're talking about right there—specifically in many cases, German-born sons of German mothers and American-military fathers. From the Bob Bradley to Jürgen Klinsmann eras, the U.S. national team uncovered a handful of really solid players who came up through the German youth system but hadn't been capped by the German team at the senior level (Jones played in friendlies). These were established Bundesliga players who had varying connections to the U.S., personally and culturally, but had or were eligible for U.S. citizenship and walked right into the team (most of them deservedly). Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson were good examples of this. Also were Timothy Chandler, Julian Green (who Klinsmann infamously brought to the 2014 World Cup as an unproven teenager in lieu of Landon Donovan), and players like John Brooks at Wolfsburg, who is still with the team when uninjured (and has tattoos of his dual hometowns of Berlin and Chicago on his arms).

There are plenty more German-American dual nationals on offer (and Weston McKennie also lived in Germany during his childhood and was culturally familiar with the country prior to moving to the Bundesliga), but I think what we're seeing now is less of a singular phenomenon (the Germericans) and more of what all and especially first-world nations encounter in a globalized footballing ecosystem: players with ties to more than one country make decisions about whom to represent. So recently, Sergiño Dest (Netherlands), Antonee Robinson, and Duane Holmes (both England) have declared and turned out for the USMNT, while any number of Mexican-Americans have chosen one way or another according to their personal prospects and loyalties. It's not unlike England, with Scotland, Ireland, and Wales-eligible players deciding whom to represent, or Caribbean and African country-eligible players going one way or another based on their own prospects.

This is all a long way of saying, while I think there is a history there with Americans playing in the Bundesliga, I think most of the current relationship is down to practical-logistical factors. For instance, there have been suggestions that Brexit, apart from the terrible and awful things that it will accomplish, will result in a relaxing of UK work permit requirements for Americans, which may lead to more and more Americans without European passports or established UK ties signing with Championship-level clubs or coming up through Premier League academies hoping to break through. A good case and point is Sebastian Soto, who just signed for Norwich City from Hannover 96. As he is not currently eligible for a work permit, he'll immediately go back out on loan, probably to a 2.Bundesliga or Eredivisie side, which puts him in a slightly confusing position and makes many people wonder why he made the move other than to get out of a bad club situation in Germany. But if the rules change a bit, I think we'll see more and more Americans coming over before they break through than after they've established themselves elsewhere.

A former Villa player (veteran of the Bradford debacle) of a similar background is Derrick Williams. Born in Hamburg to an Irish mother and American father so could have represented all 3. Well he would't have been selected for Germany so that helped narrow it down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dukes said:

While you might not like what he did, he didn't refuse to play for Bournemouth, he turned down a request from them to extend his contract by a month. If the shoe was on the other foot, and Fraser was not even close to the first team reckoning, do you think Bournemouth would have extended his contract as a gesture of goodwill ?

Of course we as supporters can sit and say he's a word removed, but in reality he protected his (and his families) future rather than help a club that employed hi,  but with which he has no sentimental affiliation.

He has had history with refusing to play for Scotland. Did you know you that?

How many other Premier League players refused to extend their contract out of the 20 teams?

Fraser is a word removed!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Florian Belgium has refused a contract with Arsenal and Brentford had a bid rejected of £5mill last summer I believe. 19 yo with so much talent ... These are the type of players I expect us to target moving forward. obligatory YouTube video ... 

Has the balls to turn down a contract at Arsenal, plus Brentford see something in him. Two good signs. 

16 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

No first team experience.

Andre Green and RHM's highlight reel at U23 football probably looks similar to this.

Liverpool reportedly after him so he must have something. But we need first team players in this window.

We need better players full stop and if Brentford scouts think he is good enough that’s a major +. Sancho & Matondo  had zero first team experience and are not doing to shabbily with faith shown in them. He is an upgrade on what we have in terms of squad depth and can grow into the team. No brainer for me personally. 

• Like 1

Benrahma has had a quiet game but he would still be a quality addition.

If we do have the £100m suggested my shopping list would be:

Edouard - £30m  would like Tammy but I think Chelsea would want £40m+  Alternatives would be Mitrovic and Watkins depending on who wins the game.

Buendia - £20-25m another excellent creative player to take the pressure of Jack

Benerama - £20-25m  - hopefully would get 10 goals.  An alternative would be Domenico Berardi he is 26 and would cost £25-30m but almost guaranteed 15+ goals a season.

Eze - £10m plus a mix of Hogan/Jota/Lansbury/Davis(loan)

Ben Godfrey - £20m -  Move him into a DM position, good tackler and fantastic long ball for transition.   Would provide cover for Mings.

or Baptiste Santamaria - £10-15m

If we signed the above, I think we would be challenging for a top six place not fighting relegation next season.  It seems most clubs don't have any money so if we are clever we can really move forward.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I've seen him play at (Wolves u23 vs  Arsenal u23  last August at New Bucks Head/AFC Telfford) and he's an absolute talent.

I suggested him in an email to Salford City for a loan move. They wasn't interested :)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we judged players based on finals Jack would. Be bang average

Although, he was the only player who showed up against Fulham tbf.

Wasn't great against Derby admittedly. That was the El Ghazi show (where has that player gone?) assisted by McGinn.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

My opinion of Benrahma has gone down a bit since the playoffs - not stood out. 

I would never judge a player on one or two bad performances..not that he was really bad..just not his usual self

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
reworded

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I would never judge a player on one performance

It's been three - and the three biggest games of his career, so it's been interesting to see how he's handled them. You'd expect a player who'd cost 30m odd would be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate, rather than struggle with the pressure of the occasion. The mental side of the game is huge, and we've seen a lot of players struggle with the pressure of making the step up. 

I'm not writing him off, but it's a serious question mark IMO. 

Number one signing for me is still Buendia. 

• Like 3