Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Looking at his stats for last season, he played in 36 games, scored 1 and assisted 7. I know stats don’t tell the whole story and he was in a poor team, but for an attacking midfielder/winger they don’t scream £30m really. 

There's lies, dammed lies and statistics. 😉 He is a real talent, in my opinion and if we can get him for any less, we should do the deal now before someone else does. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

You won't believe what I've just heard regarding who's been spotted at bodymoor heath......

I didn't believe it so I didn't click the article.

Well that was pointless..

I really don't know how to predict this transfer window, there's so many moving parts and such a short space of time.

Pretty much all managers would prefer new players through the door before pre-season if possible, that's what? 3 weeks away give or take, 6 weeks until the season starts, that's not a whole lot of time to play with.

From our point of view the whole Grealish situation needs nipping in the bud ASAP. It dictates our budget, our priorities in the window, even the number of deals we need to get done. I feel if he does go there's no like for like replacement, or not one we could attract at this stage, so more than likely we'd be getting 2-3 in to replace him to give us more variety in how we play. We can't have it dragging on all window, it hamstrings us, if we lost him with a week before the window closes there'd rightly be uproar that we had no time to find replacements. We need to set a date and a price and if no one matches it he stays, no matter what. We need to be firm on that. The same applies for any potential outgoings, Luiz, McGinn, Mings will all attract interest as well, and we should take the same stance. 

It would also be handy if the Premier League could figure out what is going on with FFP, UEFA have made some change to accommodate 'the current situation', everybody is presuming the Premier League will too, we and all the other clubs need to know how in order to confidently set a budget. It's just guesswork otherwise.

Then we have the substitutes situation, nothing has been confirmed yet, at first I was against keeping the 5 subs but looking at the schedule for next season there are no breaks, it's going to be a slog for everyone with not a lot of pre-season and there will be injuries, I can see some wanting to keep it, you know the big clubs will,  be interesting to see who else does. If it's kept it will affect any outgoings, the bench and squad depth is suddenly much more important and our transfer plans would need to accommodate it.

I've long given up trying to understand transfer fees, you'd expect 'the current situation' to have had some impact, I'm just not sure how, I fear it means the smaller clubs are more desperate for cash and will sell cheaper, but the bigger clubs will continue to drive prices up. No fun to be a small club right now. We need to figure it out and play the market to our advantage, though it pains me to say it.

We've also got some decisions to make because of injuries, Heaton is out for the start of the season by the looks, nobody knows what's going on with Steer, Nobody trusts Nyland, Reina has returned to MIlan, Kalanic is Kalanic and injured, and we let Sarkic go. Our goalkeeping situation is a bit of a mess, do we keep faith in Heaton short to mid term and get in a Reina like signing on loan again to cover his absence? Or do we chuck a bit of budget at young keeper for the present/longer term like Ramsdale from Bournemouth?

Wesley also looks like he's out for a while yet, I would think we are signing a striker regardless, but one or two? Do we start the season with only Samatta and Davis as cover? Neither really made a case at the end of the season, there's still hope for both of them but how much faith do you have in them? Smith will have to make his mind up. I think he might go for a striker and someone who can play both on the wing and up top.

With all of those factors to consider, and not currently having a Sporting Director, the management team have their work cut out again this summer.

Really I just want us to bring in some real quality, I've no idea how easy that is going to be in this market, but it's quality over quantity for me, a lot of the players we bought last summer will be better for a season in this league, and should now have adapted, you could see the improvement towards the end of the season, I think that improvement will continue, I also think there's a bit more belief there now, the Arsenal result was big not only because of the points, but because it gave us belief that we belong in that league, hopefully that belief continues in to next season.

TLDR: I have no idea!

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see what prices players go for this summer due to Covid and the effect on trading and revenue. Bournemouth have just accepted a bid of £41 million for Ake. I would have expected the fee for him to be higher, especially if City were the ones paying. Maybe there's a few bargains out there to be had. (Not that I'm saying £41 million qualifies as a bargain, but it could mean the market has lower fees than expected this summer)

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

It'll be interesting to see what prices players go for this summer due to Covid and the effect on trading and revenue. Bournemouth have just accepted a bid of £41 million for Ake. I would have expected the fee for him to be higher, especially if City were the ones paying. Maybe there's a few bargains out there to be had. (Not that I'm saying £41 million qualifies as a bargain, but it could mean the market has lower fees than expected this summer)

Rumor is he has a release clause at £40m-£41m

55 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Among Hearts support, the rumor for a while is that Man City will buy Hickey and then loan him back to Hearts for another year or two for development. Looks a very promising player, but definitely a bit raw which is understandable given his young age. If Villa were interested he could definitely be had for less than 2m, it’s just a matter of him not being ready for the Premier League quite yet. One for the future if we are looking to make those investments now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Oh I wasn't aware of this.

I don't know if it's true but I've read it on a couple of different sites both in January and this summer. Could be malarkey of course 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Covid will little to no effect on most of the big clubs.  The big transfers will still happen like Chelsea are doing and now Man City.  Man U are closing in on Sancho, Liverpool close with Thiago and other clubs like ourselves will spend big.  it's the medium and small transfers by the lesser/smaller clubs that will less of because they are struggling.  So for me the overall spend across the Premier League and Championship will be less but big individual transfers will still be there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Julie is too busy trying to feed Defoe through the bars in her cellar.

I follow Julie on Twitter. In fairness she is a big fan and she aggregates all the gossip doing the hard work for you!