Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Eze’s not a winger and Sarr won’t go for less than £30M (Watford paid £27M) and possibly more imo - he’s a great option if we can afford him. 

Eze plays all attacking midfield options including out wide.

we don’t play a 4-4-2 type winger anyway 

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Eze plays all attacking midfield options including out wide.

we don’t play a 4-4-2 type winger anyway 

No, and I’d like him in the squad, but in a 4-3-3 I don’t know how/where he fits as a starter? If it’s next to Luiz and McGinn I’m in the camp that wants someone with defensive solidity more than attacking flair, letting SJM break forward from deep - his best attribute when fit, imo. 

11 minutes ago, deeps said:

The Cairney boat has sailed. He is 29 now. 

I think we need a lot better than him. In fact, a hell of a lot better. 

Lansbury and Jota are both 29 too and have contributed pretty much nothing since they signed for us. My suggestion was to improve the squad (and at the right price) IMO Cairney would be a better option than the other two.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deeps said:

The Cairney boat has sailed. He is 29 now. 

I think we need a lot better than him. In fact, a hell of a lot better. 

Lansbury and Jota are both 29 too and have contributed pretty much nothing since they signed for us. My suggestion was to improve the squad (and at the right price) IMO Cairney would be a better option than the other two.

I think prices may be a little softer than in previous years with a lot of clubs having money issues post-covid. 

That said, I'd spend my notional £120m on:

£40m forward. With experience of playing in the UK. 

£25m pacy right wing. 

£25m midfield general. Set piece screamers a must. 

Balance on 3-4 younger prospects (+ spare keeper dependant on Heaton) 

I'd keep Jack out left. With the short turnaround we need squad consistency plus I think we'll see continued improvements from last seasons new boys. Would only get rid of third choices - Lansbury, Jota, Davis on loan, etc. 

Defence I think will continue to improve. Obv if there is cash and the right player we should upgrade, but wouldn't be my focus. 4 new first choice starters would be max for me - we have to start the new season as we finished the last so no wholesale changes. 

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I think prices may be a little softer than in previous years with a lot of clubs having money issues post-covid. 

I don't think that at all. In fact I think it's worse than it's ever been. 

Eze is talked about for £20-25 million. Unproven championship purchase on outgoing contract. 

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Looking at his stats for last season, he played in 36 games, scored 1 and assisted 7. I know stats don’t tell the whole story and he was in a poor team, but for an attacking midfielder/winger they don’t scream £30m really. 

I actually see him as a better option than Benrahma. Has had a full season in the PL and delivered pretty good numbers in, as you say, a poor team. He is less of a gamble then SB, who obvoulsy is a talented player but does lack raw pace and I always think that will possibly hinder him in the PL. Buendia has that genuine pace that we so badly lack and he's a nasty bastard as well. I'm not saying that SB couldn't be a ready made PL player but the better bet is Buendia IMO (plus he will available).

• Like 3

I the problems with our recruitment have been discussed before....buy cheap...get lower standard of player.

We definitely need to change that now we stayed up.  I think the problem we have with the players we have is they are too ridged in their skills and positions.

Lets use Hourihane and el ghazi as prime examples...one is an winger who cant play more centrally and the other is a midfielder who struggles if forced wide.

The good players in the premiership can all play in any area of the pitch...not position...but area of pitch and have a skill and tactical awareness that's shows that.

IMO we need almost at least 8 first team players to do better than this season and get rid of those that are just not good enough.

The priority is definitely a Striker, box to box midfielder with a bit of weight, Centre Half, Left Back and winger.  That's five players min.....100 mil plus.

That's of course if we keep Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Heaton

Edited by Bazmonkey
spelling

Antonee Robinson as cover at LB should be an upgrade on Taylor surely? Wigan under administration might be forced to almost give him away for free.

More clubs interested of course but perhaps Edens would like another young American along with Indiana.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rubberman said:

That said, I'd spend my notional £120m on:

£40m forward. With experience of playing in the UK. 

£25m pacy right wing. 

£25m midfield general. Set piece screamers a must. 

Balance on 3-4 younger prospects (+ spare keeper dependant on Heaton) 

I'd keep Jack out left. With the short turnaround we need squad consistency plus I think we'll see continued improvements from last seasons new boys. Would only get rid of third choices - Lansbury, Jota, Davis on loan, etc. 

Defence I think will continue to improve. Obv if there is cash and the right player we should upgrade, but wouldn't be my focus. 4 new first choice starters would be max for me - we have to start the new season as we finished the last so no wholesale changes. 

Yeah, I’d agree, I would go:

Odsonne Eduoard - £30m - centre forward

Ollie Watkins - £18-20m - centre forward

Benrahma - £20-25m - attack mid/wing

Sarr - £30m - attack mid/wing

I’d probably bring in a youngish LB and a RB too, and perhaps an older more experienced CB (on a free transfer or something). Defence was really our major problem most of the season and buying just attackers won’t solve that I don’t think.

It’s a challenge for less than £120m I think.

Edited by alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

No, and I’d like him in the squad, but in a 4-3-3 I don’t know how/where he fits as a starter? If it’s next to Luiz and McGinn I’m in the camp that wants someone with defensive solidity more than attacking flair, letting SJM break forward from deep - his best attribute when fit, imo. 

In jack positions this year on the left or in a 10

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah, I’d agree, I would go:

Odsonne Eduoard - £30m - centre forward

Ollie Watkins - £18-20m - centre forward

Benrahma - £20-25m - attack mid/wing

Sarr - £30m - attack mid/wing

I’d probably bring in a LB and a RB too, and perhaps an older more experienced CB (on a free transfer or something). Defence was really our major problem most of the season and buying just attackers won’t solve that I don’t think.

If benrahma was that price no doubt we would go for him, he will cost more.

we need one striker not two.

Just now, Awol said:

That makes sense, but I’m still hopeful he’ll stay..

Me too, but he can go back to midfield, play where he has this season or indeed play from the right.

it gives us a class player with options 

• Like 1

I think we should be looking at other leagues in Europe but going for the higher calibre of player in the wide and forward positions. Players like Ben Yedder, Osimhen and Dembele in France, Belotti and Berardi in Italy, Malen, Berghuis and Boadu in Holland, Volland and Plea in Germany. Even if we have to spend £80mil on two players (a wide player and forward), players of that calibre will improve us massively and we'd definitely keep Jack on for another year I think.

There are some good players in the relegated teams and Championship teams, but if we're going to go places we need to be convincing proven players in the top leagues to come to us. Otherwise all the struggles of the last 2 years will be for nothing and we'll be struggling again next season. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I honestly don't know what games some of the people on here have watched this season with the amount of stick el ghazi is getting. Most of the the games this season he has been our only creative outlet aside from Jack. Except el ghazi has played with a full back who isn't overlapping like elmo or can't cross the ball like guilbert. This means he is often left in 2 or 3 on 1 situations which he can't dribble out of and rarely has someone moved so that a pass is on. 

Yes El Ghazi has missed a lot of big chances this season but he is also one of our few players who is actually getting TV em because of his movement in the box. Because of this it puts a lot of pressure on those chances which makes it difficult for a player low in confidence like el ghazi is right now. He absolutely should have done better multiple times this season but the number of times he has created a great chance from a cross where trez, samatta or Davis have fluffed their line is at a similar point. 

People also say he is lazy which is just wrong. Yes he struggles with tracking back nfot because of a lack of effort but because of a lack of knowledge. Before coming to villa he likely never would have had to so he is playing an unfamiliar role and makes mistakes at it. But how many have the goals we have conceded have come from either mcginn or trez not picking up their men and being free at the back post but I never hear how little effort they put in to track back.

El ghazi will be Important for us next season. He won't be a starter but I reckon he will be very effective off the bench with his crossing and shooting ability. And if the team has more off the ball movement i.e with Jack playing in the centre of the park or us signing Buendia or eze to play in the middle I would expect his and any of our wingers effectiveness to go up hugely. 

I thought he showed promise when playing up front when we had no strikers.  He doesn't really have the engine to do all the tracking back needed on the wing unlike Trez but he has two good feet and not bad in the air.

18 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I the problems with our recruitment have been discussed before....buy cheap...get lower standard of player.

We definitely need to change that now we stayed up.  I think the problem we have with the players we have is they are too ridged in their skills and positions.

Lets use Hourihane and el ghazi as prime examples...one is an winger who cant play more centrally and the other is a midfielder who struggles if forced wide.

The good players in the premiership can all play in any area of the pitch...not position...but area of pitch and have a skill and tactical awareness that's shows that.

IMO we need almost at least 8 first team players to do better than this season and get rid of those that are just not good enough.

The priority is definitely a Striker, box to box midfielder with a bit of weight, Centre Half, Left Back and winger.  That's five players min.....100 mil plus.

That's of course if we keep Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Heaton

image.jpeg.f73995c951c539c029715699e6e1daf7.jpeg

6 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I don't know that Wes is going to be great, but he's 22 and was just playing his first season in the Premier League. In his first 7 matches he had 1.2 xG or 0.17 xG per match. In his last 14 matches he had 4.2 xG or 0.30 xG per match. Not world beater, but definitely trending the correct direction.

With Trez, I think he's a perfectly suitable backup option at this level. Relying on him to play 70 minutes per match won't get you far, however.

I'm not sure those Wes stats are as good as you think, though. They mean that he "should" have scored 4-5 goals in his last 14 games, but, in reality, only netted 1 in his last thirteen. The greater his xG, the more he underperformed in terms of his finishing for the chances that were created for him!

In terms of Trez, I'd much prefer to keep El Ghazi as back-up, and I'm not even an Anwar fan!