Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Fairly sure that one of the reasons Lange has been appointed is more for his ability to find genuine talent rather than just selling players for a profit.

Surely he’s come to Villa out of ambition and the opportunity for a better or more expansive role e.g. find & sign an even higher quality of player (he can set his sights higher and we can afford much greater transfer fees than Copenhagen) that will significantly improve our team and get us higher up the league and into Europe at some stage.

I don’t think we’ve hired him purely on his ability to turn a profit. Look at the owners’ comments, they won’t be satisfied until we are competing at the higher end of the PL - I’m sure they value success over just turning profits. They’re certainly not messing around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Were not going to be spending £35-40m on established players. Were going to look for players like Trez and hope they develop into decent PL player. 

that's not moneyball...

sorry but its a pet peeve of mine, its a misused term by the media and on here

moneyball would imply that we do full statistical analysis of players and then we sign them because of one high statistic that we like, we sign a winger because of his successful crossing % and then a striker based on his headers won % and you build your team based on statistics that all click together

it doesn't translate well to football and there's no evidence that villa use it 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Fairly sure that one of the reasons Lange has been appointed is more for his ability to find genuine talent rather than just selling players for a profit.

Surely he’s come to Villa out of ambition and the opportunity for a better or more expansive role e.g. find & sign an even higher quality of player (he can set his sights higher and we can afford much greater transfer fees than Copenhagen) that will significantly improve our team and get us higher up the league and into Europe at some stage.

I don’t think we’ve hired him purely on his ability to turn a profit. Look at the owners’ comments, they won’t be satisfied until we are competing at the higher end of the PL - I’m sure they value success over just turning profits. They’re certainly not messing around.

In addition to what you're saying the more successful we are the more profit our owners should be able to make. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

yeah, I mentioned him last April on here before he signed for Hoffenheim in July 2019.

You certainly know your stuff mate, would love the Villa to employ you! 
Who would you ideally & realistically like us to sign now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

In addition to what you're saying the more successful we are the more profit our owners should be able to make. 

Absolutely, it’s a better and win win situation anyway. We just need to do it! 😆

9 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Were not going to be spending £35-40m on established players. Were going to look for players like Trez and hope they develop into decent PL player. 

We’ll be looking at much better players than Trez, I’m sure. The owners want success, they’re not just here for the money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's not moneyball...

moneyball would imply that we do full statistical analysis of players and then we sign them because of one high statistic that we like, we sign a winger because of his successful crossing % and then a striker based on his headers won % and you build your team based on statistics that all click together

Maybe a misused term that must be annoying. 

My point was if people are expecting big marquee signings their going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

I'm seeing a lot of people say we should buy 'Premier League Experienced' players...

I think we maybe need two at most. I'd like a striker who's done it at this level. The only 3 that come to mind are...

Wilson
Abraham
Mitrovic

But all 3 of those are incredibly unlikely for a lot of different reasons. Need a lot of things to go our way to even have a chance at signing one of them. 

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You certainly know your stuff mate, would love the Villa to employ you! 
Who would you ideally & realistically like us to sign now?

Thanks mate. personally i'd like see us target likes of:-:- 

Eberechi Eze, Said Benrahma, John Swift, Nathan Collins, Joe Rodon, Max Clark, Philip Billing, Baptiste Santamaria,  Thibaud Verlinden, Aleksandar Mitrović, Tyrese Campbell & Karlan Grant

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's not moneyball...

The only real example that equates to the moneyball concept in baseball was Rory Delap's role at Stoke a few years ago. He created more goal scoring opportunities through throw-ins than either of their wingers at the time, whilst also adding just enough to the team in central midfield. If he hadn't had the powerful flat throw in ability he wasn't good enough to start for them as a midfielder. In the end I think his role as a midfielder started to become a liability and so he wasn't worth the potency he gave them with his throw-ins any longer.

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Thanks mate. personally i'd like see us target likes of:-:- 

Eberechi Eze, Said Benrahma, John Swift, Nathan Collins, Joe Rodon, Max Clark, Philip Billing, Baptiste Santamaria,  Thibaud Verlinden, Aleksandar Mitrović, Tyrese Campbell & Karlan Grant

Jus

go ahead thumbs up GIF

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm seeing a lot of people say we should buy 'Premier League Experienced' players...

I think we maybe need two at most. I'd like a striker who's done it at this level. The only 3 that come to mind are...

Wilson
Abraham
Mitrovic

But all 3 of those are incredibly unlikely for a lot of different reasons. Need a lot of things to go our way to even have a chance at signing one of them. 

Chris Wood?

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Chris Wood?

Weirdly enough, I'd much prefer Wood over Wilson, bot similar age, Wood would have a smaller wage and has a better scoring record. And his hold up play etc. is really good

Wilson's scoring record really isn't that good, I have always found him to be quite overrated

• Like 2

Matteo Guendouzi, anyone?

I think he's a bell-end, but clearly has ability and at 21, can improve in all aspects of the game, and his attitude.
Arsenal seem desperate to sell him, but despite rumours of him being a makeweight for Partey, or Barca/PSG being linked - it's very quiet. Rumours of about £20-25m?

He ticks a lot of our boxes - age, experience, price, potential, and position. But not hair. If he comes, he gets a hair cut though. That's a non-negotiable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I think he's a bell-end, but clearly has ability and at 21, can improve in all aspects of the game, and his attitude.
Arsenal seem desperate to sell him, but despite rumours of him being a makeweight for Partey, or Barca/PSG being linked - it's very quiet. Rumours of about £20-25m?

He ticks a lot of our boxes - age, experience, price, potential, and position. But not hair. If he comes, he gets a hair cut though. That's a non-negotiable. 

I like him. Surprised Arsenal would want to sell tbh. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

We don't want bell ends.

Our 10 year quota for Bell ends is full and had overflown to the point that we nearly drowned in bell ends.

No more bell ends please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2