Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

7 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Overall we had a very good window. Cash and Watkins looked like being overpriced at first glance, but having seen them play actually look like being great additions and have seemingly stepped up with ease. Barkley and Martinez were excellent signings. Traore is perhaps the only question mark (I would certainly have preferred Rashica) but has shown at Lyon he is very capable and has pace to burn. If we can get him back to the form of 1-2 seasons ago it will be a very good signing. 

I would have liked to see 1 more but I think we will have our eye on someone in January. I hope we can tie up Barkley permanently before the season ends. Retaining him and Luiz next summer will be huge going forward.

With Heaton and Wesley to come back we look like having a good squad. I would like to see us bring in better competition in defence at CB so that Konsa and Mings are well covered and sign a potential starting LB as long term I don't think Targett is enough. But generally now we can start looking to add 1 or 2 real quality players each season to try to push on rather than a hatful of signings. 

I still think we have two more summers of a handful because of squad depth and replacing any who don’t hit the heights expected before going to just a couple of signings 

Liverpool have just lost VVD for the season (ACL injury) after a horror tackle from Pickford in the derby. First game after the window closes 😬 Wonder if that will ruin their season. Shows what can happen if you have bad luck with injuries. If that were to happen to Watkins or Targett I would cry, although there is always chance to strengthen in Jan.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Back on topic, yes, very very good window for us. And probably no bad thing to leave the left back and winger tweaking until next window. Too many changes, even for 'better' players, can disrupt a team. Trez, Targett and yes, even Taylor are good enough for now, and their games can be worked on to minimise their weaknesses (I would say that has been starting to show already). Team spirit is obviously great, so let's keep it that way. I think we'll be fine, unless we get a really unlucky streak of injuries. 

Good post, but that bit... no. 

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Back on topic, yes, very very good window for us. And probably no bad thing to leave the left back and winger tweaking until next window. Too many changes, even for 'better' players, can disrupt a team. Trez, Targett and yes, even Taylor are good enough for now, and their games can be worked on to minimise their weaknesses (I would say that has been starting to show already). Team spirit is obviously great, so let's keep it that way. I think we'll be fine, unless we get a really unlucky streak of injuries. 

Looking back to last season, the loss of McGinn in December, and Heaton/Wesley in Jan, were absolutely game changing injuries for us.

For a newly promoted team (or any team), to lose 3 important players (maybe even 3 of our 5 most critical players)........we did so well to survive in hindsight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Liverpool have just lost VVD for the season (ACL injury) after a horror tackle from Pickford in the derby. First game after the window closes 😬 Wonder if that will ruin their season. Shows what can happen if you have bad luck with injuries. If that were to happen to Watkins or Targett I would cry, although there is always chance to strengthen in Jan.

PL have to do something about these tackles they go unpunished, look at Wesley, no different.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Can you really limp off with an ACL?

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Ruined him that injury did.  Reckon he could’ve been a very good defender.

He looked like Beckenbauer reincarnated in that Champions League game against Chelsea for Nordsjaelland...  The only reason we were able to sign him is because he was 5'11".  If he was any taller, one of the top Champions League clubs would have made a move for him before we did. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep, depends on the severity of the tear, it’s supporting rotational movements of the knee/body, so that’s where the instability occurs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

From the experience once the swelling and initial pain has gone if your muscles around the knee are strong enough you can do without.

Also from experience those internal knee ligaments hold your knee together when turning and you run the risk of further damage and/or full dislocation.

Its not the career ended it used to be at pro level. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, QldVilla said:

PL have to do something about these tackles they go unpunished, look at Wesley, no different.

Yeah agreed, these tactical fouls around the pitch on skillful players should be harshly punished. A warning at first, yellow second and sent off third, the three strikes your out rule should be applied. Creative players should be seen or can be seen at there best on the field without fear of being brought down or worse injured. If a player who knows someone is going to get the better of them, so they then go and bring someone down, then it's about time this foulers game got put to bed and justice was served on the pitch.

Should be no tolerance to tactical fouls.

4 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Yep, depends on the severity of the tear, it’s supporting rotational movements of the knee/body, so that’s where the instability occurs.

I messed my foot this morning (no joke), just after 2. It was very dark and after losing three gallons of liquid at the toilet, I walked into my bedroom and kicked the speaker boombox I forgot to move. The pain was that excruciating that I was rotating like I was doing some new dance, hands on feet, trying to find my bed. It was like I was on hot coals but couldnt move forward to reach the end, with steam coming out of my ears like a tom n Jerry cartoon.

Anyways now I'm at the point, where I've woken up and I feel as though im putting weight on one side all while my bad foot is  trying to turn me round in circles.

I dont know what this has to do with ACL injury, it does not in anyway, I just thought I'd share my pain while were talking of injurys 😉😜😋

38 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I messed my foot this morning (no joke), just after 2. It was very dark and after losing three gallons of liquid at the toilet, I walked into my bedroom and kicked the speaker boombox I forgot to move. The pain was that excruciating that I was rotating like I was doing some new dance, hands on feet, trying to find my bed. It was like I was on hot coals but couldnt move forward to reach the end, with steam coming out of my ears like a tom n Jerry cartoon.

Anyways now I'm at the point, where I've woken up and I feel as though im putting weight on one side all while my bad foot is  trying to turn me round in circles.

I dont know what this has to do with ACL injury, it does not in anyway, I just thought I'd share my pain while were talking of injurys 😉😜😋

Such an 80s injury! 😂 

• Haha 2