Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

9 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

Watching the game tonight - can't help but think the "buy Iheanacho" and "buy Slimani" type calls would've not had the impact those suggesting thought.
Only a single game, but my club are making me stop having an opinion on transfer targets, and helping me just relax knowing we have professionals in charge.

Unlike Steve "I only need 1 centre half in my squad" Bruce. clearing in the woods. 

The thought I always go back to, was in the middle of last season when loads were moaning that we didn’t sign Gary Cahill on a free transfer.

Had we signed him, maybe we’d have been safer with games to spare, but equally, we’d have a player on high wages, on a 2+ year deal, with a history of injury problems who would need replacing in a season anyway. Which is exactly the type of signing that we’ve been trying to get away from.

Instead we went for ‘potential’ and younger options, who will retain their value. Konsa is looking quality, and has probably doubled in value, Hause is a good backup and Engels made it back onto the bench last night so is hopefully over the niggling injuries he had last season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Villa should send a little post it note to Rashica saying “Hi Milot, you might have seen we’re going for Champions League this season. We’d like to sign you in January. PTO”

Then on the other side “But you’ll need to pay your own transfer fee. You little weasel. Love AVFC xx”

:crylaugh:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The thought I always go back to, was in the middle of last season when loads were moaning that we didn’t sign Gary Cahill on a free transfer.

Had we signed him, maybe we’d have been safer with games to spare, but equally, we’d have a player on high wages, on a 2+ year deal, with a history of injury problems who would need replacing in a season anyway. Which is exactly the type of signing that we’ve been trying to get away from.

Instead we went for ‘potential’ and younger options, who will retain their value. Konsa is looking quality, and has probably doubled in value, Hause is a good backup and Engels made it back onto the bench last night so is hopefully over the niggling injuries he had last season.

Can agree with all the above......apart from the, “Hause is a good back up”, part. 

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Remember when there was a bit of panic that we weren't getting players in quick enough and would miss out on points in the first few games?... good times!

Football fans are the worst. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Absolutely get what you're saying. I feel we took a gamble on this one, and it worked out. I still think Cahill would've been useful (and cost us less than Engels transfer fee for those 2 years of wages), but the thought that he would have kept Konsa out of the team now makes me shudder.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We just need to make sure we are in and around the top 6 come January.

I have no doubts about the owners splashing the cash in January if top 6 is actually a possibility.

Know what you're saying, and if we are in need of a player we'll be in a position to get someone better than Samatta if we're near the top.

But I'm old enough to remember us bringing in Cascarino in 1990 as the final piece of the jigsaw, and it derailed our title challenge - he didn't score the goals, and it ruined our style of play (at least that's what my memory tells me). Part of me thinks that unless there's a crisis, or an irresistible opportunity in January, we continue with our building next summer. 

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

*Fixed 

Come on man, let's keep it real and not set ourselves up to fail. 

We battered Liverpool.

We were well on par with Leicester and deserved the win.

It's not just a blip anymore. We are a really good team this sesason, is as simple as that. This starting eleven is as good as anyone in the league and is capable fighting for top 6 if we are lucky avoiding injuries. That's a big if though.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

Liverpool had Mane and Henderson out. Leicester were missing Vardy and Soyuncu. That takes nothing away from our victories in the slightest, but shows that we need to be as mindful as possible of injuries, fatigue and suspensions within our team.

I think the bench yesterday showed that we're still short up top and at the back plus, right now, the starting XI picks itself - which is great for a settled team, but not great for rotation, tactical changes and competition. We're also picking up cards, which may see the likes of McGinn and Luiz suspended at some point.

I hope we can make a couple of quality additions in January, and the same again in the summer (with the added draw of being in the Champions League 😉).

14 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Liverpool had Mane and Henderson out. Leicester were missing Vardy and Soyuncu. That takes nothing away from our victories in the slightest, but shows that we need to be as mindful as possible of injuries, fatigue and suspensions within our team.

I think the bench yesterday showed that we're still short up top and at the back plus, right now, the starting XI picks itself - which is great for a settled team, but not great for rotation, tactical changes and competition. We're also picking up cards, which may see the likes of McGinn and Luiz suspended at some point.

I hope we can make a couple of quality additions in January, and the same again in the summer (with the added draw of being in the Champions League 😉).

Ok so Leicester and Liverpool need a fully strength side in order to beat us.

Just goes to show how strong we are atm.

• Haha 1

We battered Liverpool.

It's not just a blip anymore. We are a really good team this sesason, is as simple as that. This starting eleven is as good as anyone in the league and is capable fighting for top 6 if we are lucky avoiding injuries. That's a big if though.

I feel like you're getting way ahead of yourself and when we inevitably lose 3 or 4 on the bounce you'll absolutely batter Smith and the team because they are currently overachieving. 

But then again I can never tell if you're trolling or not so your current high could just be a troll attempt the same as when you are overly negative. You need some middleground man. You're not Bipolar, you're a Biposter :P  

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

As long as we can use our first choice 11 we’re an upper mid table team. The real test will be when 2-3 are missing.

Probably need to spend £100m next summer to keep Barkley, keep Luiz and bring in some options in defence and midfield.

It’s the 11 that started last night, Traorè, perhaps Nakamba and Wesley and hopefully also Engels and Heaton.

• Like 1

We battered Liverpool.

Don't be daft, we've had a cracking start thrashed a weakened Liverpool and pipped a really tight game against a weakened Leicester. Smith has had us playing good football in quite a few spells since he got here. With varying results especially when we had a leakier defence, it's only been five minutes since you were baying for him to be sacked. It's got nothing to do with blips either, we will hit a bad run of form soon enough and we will have to deal with injuries. This project is long term, we've over performed so far and that's great, our first eleven looks like it can trouble most teams but man for man on paper I'm not sure it's screaming nailed on top 6.  

We've definitely improved personnel, the improvements since last season restarted are continuing. Let's not get carried away though ay.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Can agree with all the above......apart from the, “Hause is a good back up”, part. 

I suppose I meant, ‘in relation to what we paid’.

Hause cost £3m, which is a snip for a squad option who is dependable for the 5-10 prem games across a season that he might need to be called upon.

• Like 1