Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think Mane would have made a different to Liverpool but they defended so poorly that day I still think we would have won. 

I wish that Vardy and Soyuncu had played. I really believe that we would have won easier if Leicester had more confidence to have a go at us and not be so frustratingly defensive and aggressive. 

Mane makes a huge difference for them, even bigger though was no Alisson, he wouldn't have gifted us a goal start. Still though even without the deflections and had we taken our other chances we'd have beaten them on that performance. Not 7-2 but we've have done them all the same.

Leicester, hard to say. it was so tight that with more of an edge and Vardy on the pitch it might have tipped it their way.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I think you’re being harsh on Engels. He has been made a scapegoat in 2020. Back when we had the ‘mingles’ partnership, he looked solid, and there was talk of him getting an international call-up. 

Just because he had a handful of bad games followed by a few injuries doesn’t mean he’s, all of a sudden, Joleon Lescott.

I agree your point on Engels - and mine was never meant as a sleight against him. We were largely devoid of genuine PL experience - in fact, devoid of much experience at all - and I thought Cahill was logical for the short term survival needs. Personally, I am pretty happy with Engels as 3rd choice; I think a few teams in the league would have him right now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

But I'm old enough to remember us bringing in Cascarino in 1990 as the final piece of the jigsaw, and it derailed our title challenge - he didn't score the goals, and it ruined our style of play (at least that's what my memory tells me). 

See also: Stan Collymore. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, romavillan said:

Mane makes a huge difference for them, even bigger though was no Alisson, he wouldn't have gifted us a goal start. Still though even without the deflections and had we taken our other chances we'd have beaten them on that performance. Not 7-2 but we've have done them all the same.

Leicester, hard to say. it was so tight that with more of an edge and Vardy on the pitch it might have tipped it their way.

We could say we didn't have Grealish last season home game. If we had him they might've lost the league.  Many of their fans said that it was the most important game  of the season.

Edited by abdulaziz1

17 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Villa should send a little post it note to Rashica saying “Hi Milot, you might have seen we’re going for Champions League this season. We’d like to sign you in January. PTO”

Then on the other side “But you’ll need to pay your own transfer fee. You little weasel. Love AVFC xx”

He’s not going to be good enough for us soon... Let him go and drown in mediocrity.

22 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Villa should send a little post it note to Rashica saying “Hi Milot, you might have seen we’re going for Champions League this season. We’d like to sign you in January. PTO”

Then on the other side “But you’ll need to pay your own transfer fee. You little weasel. Love AVFC xx”

Is this a true story?

Horror Omg GIF by Justin

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I think you’re being harsh on Engels. He has been made a scapegoat in 2020. Back when we had the ‘mingles’ partnership, he looked solid, and there was talk of him getting an international call-up. 

Just because he had a handful of bad games followed by a few injuries doesn’t mean he’s, all of a sudden, Joleon Lescott.

Disregarding match fitness, I'd much prefer Engels to Hause as substitute CD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how much we have to spend this season (inc Jan), if we assume the same as last season that means we have 60m ish in our pocket for jan? (I wouldnt be surprised if it was less than 140m total though?)

I wonder if they might try to not go mad in jan and save up a bit more for the summer, for some big transfers? (Wonder if we will have 140m next summer, then another 60 not spent from this year?, 200m total next summer?

Total guess work ofc.

Even if we have just  good mid table finish this year, we will be able to attract a much higher calibre of player more easily in the summer, wonder if that's the plan?

Edited by MaVilla

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I wonder how much we have to spend this season (inc Jan), if we assume the same as last season that means we have 60m ish in our pocket for jan? (I wouldnt be surprised if it was less than 140m total though?)

I wonder if they might try to not go mad in jan and save up a bit more for the summer, for some big transfers? (Wonder if we will have 140m next summer, then another 60 not spent from this year?, 200m total next summer?

Total guess work ofc.

Even if we have just  good mid table finish this year, we will be able to attract a much higher calibre of player more easily in the summer, wonder if that's the plan?

Depends where we are in January. If we’re flying high, then things would be much different and an immediate additions are required. 
Say for example we’re somehow 1st or 2nd before January, then it would be a big mistake not to invest and go for the league or top 4. We can’t just say midtable is enough by then. 
Yes top half is an achievement itself, but we can’t just surrender if we found ourselves in a good position. 
If we were top 4 or top 6 then we add one or two to help us for longer and shorter terms. Below that then we focus on the long term solutions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I wonder if they might try to not go mad in jan and save up a bit more for the summer, for some big transfers?

Historically the worst transfer window usually reserved for desperation moves. Not saying we won't potentially look for some bargains but I foresee pages and pages of desperation on here

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 12:40, StanBalaban said:

Liverpool had Mane and Henderson out. Leicester were missing Vardy and Soyuncu. That takes nothing away from our victories in the slightest, but shows that we need to be as mindful as possible of injuries, fatigue and suspensions within our team.

I think the bench yesterday showed that we're still short up top and at the back plus, right now, the starting XI picks itself - which is great for a settled team, but not great for rotation, tactical changes and competition. We're also picking up cards, which may see the likes of McGinn and Luiz suspended at some point.

I hope we can make a couple of quality additions in January, and the same again in the summer (with the added draw of being in the Champions League 😉).

I respectfully disagree with the first paragraph. we haven't had the luxury of spending nearly £150m on a CB and GK. Leicester have spent massively too. Although they have sold alot of their championship winning team. 

Bigger mitigation than anything is the 3 seasons which we spent in the championship. Every season there is like 2/3 seasons away because of the lower standard of player we would have been able to buy.

Another mitigation for us is the 10 seasons of dross and stop start rubbish we've had to endure. MON cost us a lot too by buying players he hardly used and buying too many samey players.

These clubs have had a long time to build decent squads. Allison has been injured a few times now for Liverpool. We will have these matches where suspension and injuries hit.

However under Dean Smith the injuries we've had have been an assault and a freak injury for Tom Heaton. Obviously Engels too. That tells me that we look after our players very well. 

One final thing you forgot to mention was that the finest defender of all time Virgil Van Dijk was playing so Liverpool didn't really need anyone else on the pitch.

I agree with the last paragraph and I hope we can add possibly 2 decent players. I'd love us to do our business now if possible like other clubs seem to do.

21 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Historically the worst transfer window usually reserved for desperation moves. Not saying we won't potentially look for some bargains but I foresee pages and pages of desperation on here

Ashley Young and John Carew say hello.

In all seriousness though we should look at January as a window to bring someone in with the hope that between January and the end of the season the player (s) use it as a bedding in period with the hope that the player (s) are ready for the new season from day 1. 

I'd love us to get in Mohamed Camara and Dominik Szoboszlai from RB Salzburg. They'll have release clauses so we should just meet them.

Edited by Sulberto21

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'd love us to get in Mohamed Camara and Dominik Szoboszlai from RB Salzburg. They'll have release clauses so we should just meet them.

Don't know anything about them. What sort of players are they? Style wise? 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Don't know anything about them. What sort of players are they? Style wise? 

Mohamed Camara is a very good defensive midfielder with huge potential. Already showing leadership qualities. Szoboszlai is a gifted young lw/LM / LAM / LiF/ CAM. He's quick energetic excellent passing range , good shooter too. Be an excellent alternative for Barkley. Sekou Koita is another one they've got coming through who I think will be special. Rapid striker/ winger who scores goals. 

RB Salzburg have an excellent production line.

• Thanks 1

On 20/10/2020 at 17:25, MaVilla said:

Total guess work ofc.

I think this year and next years figures are combined for FFP?

Having said that if we are in a very good position points wise when the January window comes round if I were them I would spend the minimum summer budget that would have been made available in summer 21 available because it should be easier to sign some quality and help this season.

As for figures god knows what they are, we spent about half of what we did last season but the wage bill will most certainly be higher now and on top of that it’s about what the two owners are willing to put in.

They have put in so much already they couldn’t make it back by selling us so it’s down to their motivation too.