Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

With the five subs rule being carried over (I believe), it really does become more of a squad game. Most teams have those annoying players that you know will do something when they come off the bench (Gayle, Rodriguez, Yarmolenko type players) - and we've not had that for a while.

Our current bench is pretty tragic at the moment, so maybe we can pick up some experienced quality that can make a difference after the 70 min mark, without having to shell out too much. Samatta, Trez, Conor, Elmo, Hause, Engels, Wesley, Heaton to stay as other back up options too.

A quality striker, keeper, wide player and a Hourihane upgrade are a must for me, with Jota, Lansbury, AEG finding new homes. If Barry isn't near the 1st team, loan him, Vassilev and Keinan out.

I would add an upgrade on Targett a CB to challenge Konza or vice versa and another more creative squad player assuming Jack stays, maybe Eze

33 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Vertonghen? Has he already agreed a deal elsewhere or could we get him in on a free?

Getting a player like that on a free is ultimately going to be much more expensive than paying a big transfer fee for a younger player with resale value. Would rather try and get someone like Tuanzebe who would probably cost something similar in the long run.

Just now, Khizzy said:

Our left back spot is quite problematic and if we were to strengthen there, it might be better to sell Targett, buy a better replacement and keep Taylor as a backup since he has probably the most Premier League experience of all our players (maybe barring Heaton?).

That’s not how you improve. If we’re going to buy a left back, Targett will need to work hard to get into the team ahead of the new signing. Competition for places is key.

Last Summers signings should be our squad players for next season if we get our transfer business right. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Khizzy said:

Our left back spot is quite problematic and if we were to strengthen there, it might be better to sell Targett, buy a better replacement and keep Taylor as a backup since he has probably the most Premier League experience of all our players (maybe barring Heaton?).

Think we overpaid for Targett - so would be hard to move him on without making a loss. I still think he has quite a high ceiling if he were to improve next season the way Konsa and Douglas have this.

Targett was 3rd in the league for chances created by a full back behind TAA and Robertson

If we are in the market for another one (assuming we sell Taylor) then it should be someone who offers something different to use in bigger games where we don't see the ball, the obvious thing being an old fashioned proper defender, they don't grow on trees anymore 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Think we overpaid for Targett - so would be hard to move him on without making a loss. I still think he has quite a high ceiling if he were to improve next season the way Konsa and Douglas have this.

I actually think we underpaid.  Thank god for Taylor getting hamstring injury in that match.  We would be in championship now if he hadn’t 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Targett was 3rd in the league for chances created by a full back behind TAA and Robertson

If we are in the market for another one (assuming we sell Taylor) then it should be someone who offers something different to use in bigger games where we don't see the ball, the obvious thing being an old fashioned proper defender, they don't grow on trees anymore 

Targett also played a lot less games than them

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

I think we'll be after players we were not linked to in the media and leaks will come out just before the deals are done...  Hopefully we'll be after a step up in quality this time around.  

My shopping list:

1. Right Winger - BIG signing - Need to spend a large chunk of budget on two new starting wingers. 
  2. Left Winger - BIG signing - Move Jack central behind Wesley/New Striker
  3. Right Back - Starter who can replace Elmo and push Guilbert to the bench.  I love Guilbert, but having a better option here is vital.
  4. Central Defender - Starter who is a born leader and comfortable bringing the ball out of the back
  5. Striker - I don't think they'll be so quick to get rid of Wesley after spending so much on him, but Samatta is shit and we need someone to challenge Wesley for the starting spot
  6. Goalkeeper - Reliable backup for Heaton/someone to challenge him and we can finally get Nyland to fook off

We need a starter in all those positions, and LB. Targett is very unreliable and Heaton isn't anywhere near (so we've been told, so I assume the worst).

I think that means either Wesley or Samatta needs to go.

Maybe not LW, keep Jack there.