Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

With the five subs rule being carried over (I believe), it really does become more of a squad game. Most teams have those annoying players that you know will do something when they come off the bench (Gayle, Rodriguez, Yarmolenko type players) - and we've not had that for a while.

Our current bench is pretty tragic at the moment, so maybe we can pick up some experienced quality that can make a difference after the 70 min mark, without having to shell out too much. Samatta, Trez, Conor, Elmo, Hause, Engels, Wesley, Heaton to stay as other back up options too.

A quality striker, keeper, wide player and a Hourihane upgrade are a must for me, with Jota, Lansbury, AEG finding new homes. If Barry isn't near the 1st team, loan him, Vassilev and Keinan out.

I think we need to make a statement. Why not try get coutinho on loan with view to permanent deal? It might sound tad unrealistic but barce want rid. No harm in trying. Also got wes and luiz here

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

RHM will do well there, he’s a very talented player, I saw him enough for our u18s and u23s to realise that. Ethan Moore is a very talented footballer but he obviously didn’t fancy it in the end for whatever reason :(

Ok... 😎

• Haha 1

I think a lot depends on Jack to be honest, keep him and I think 2 -3 good quality signings would be enough to get going next season. ST, RM and LM. In an ideal world would want more but I think they are critical. Lose Jack and we need to spend big on AM that can score and create

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'd personally like to sign Milivojevic from Palace. We need to be finishing above likes of them next season and he's one of their best player.

Sounds a bit like Milosevic so as long as he doesn't spit at anyone, I'm in. 

13 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

If we're going to get their best then Zaha anyone? 

I had thought about this but I have a nagging doubt about him being too greedy.  So often goes on a brilliant run, gets into a great position then tries a stupid shot or another dribble when he should be passing. 

Also, they were asking £80m for him last summer. Maybe if he puts his foot down he moves for lower but I don't see it being less than £60m which would be half our budget unless Jack leave. I don't see us spending that on 1 player yet. 

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

If we are looking to raid Bournemouth, id go for Solanke every day over Wilson.  The reason he didn’t score goals is because they stupidly played him nearly as a midfielder. Any time I watched them he has been excellent for the job they were having him do.

He has a good personality and work ethic and has a very good footballing ability as well.

I would take Brooks, he looks a big step up from both out wingers.

1 hour ago, ChinlessWonder said:

I'd also like to see Milner back for a season

I liked him too, but he's moved on and he seems content to play a bit part with Liverpool now. I can't see him wanting to come here, just as it is unlikely he would end up where he started at Leeds, in my opinion. 

I love reading other people's suggestions for different players on this thread and then looking them up - always an education and many on here know far more than I do. However, I think we as fans too often just pick players that impress us rather than those which the team really needs (actually some managers/clubs seem to do that as well). 

So it is about getting the balance right. 

With that in mind I think Billing from Bournemouth would be a good buy (if the price is right) as he is dominant in the air and would give Douglas Luiz some competition for the DM role. He also brings a bit of nastiness which again is something we have missed. We have a weakness in the air, particularly from set pieces, with Hause being by far the most dominant player in the air. Although to be fair Mings and Konsa have both stepped up in the last few matches. Billing & Luiz would be a better pairing if we are playing two DMs than Nakamba and Luiz as neither of our current two are very tall and so don't help us defending the box. It would also help us to impose ourselves physically a bit more in midfield all of which I feel have been issues over the course of the season.

We desperately need some real pace in our attack. It would push opposition defenders back and give us more space to operate in midfield and hopefully push the whole team up the pitch. We also need more goals. For me Benrahma is a good option, if we can get him, because he would be an upgrade on Trez and AEG in terms of goals and ability to beat a man (which would take some focus off Grealish if he stays) however, if he came we would still someone to come in with real pace. I think Trez was meant to have the pace but it isn't enough for the Prem. Benrahma would also be my preferred Grealish replacement. The attack still needs the most amount of work.

Striker is perhaps the most difficult because in our system he needs to be able to hold the ball up, bring others into play, be dominant in the air and score goals. Davis does three of the four but lacks in the most important area! If the striker had pace as well then we'd have a world class striker on our hands which feels unrealistic at this stage of our development. Wesley might still come good but he isn't going to be fit at the start of the season and is going to take a while to get back to even where he was before (which was not good enough). Striker would be my priority. Samatta looked ok before the break but hasn't looked to have quite the quality to score the goals we need him to.

House and Konsa have stepped up since the break to look like they will make it as Prem players (although Hause still needs to work on his feet), but I would be tempted to get rid of Engels and bring in someone else. Axel (if he has got over his fitness issues) might be an option because he brings some pace which the others don't have and we know he plays well with Mings.

In the fullback positions I like Targett and Guilbert enough as I think they will carry on improving perhaps we could buy two promising young players and ship out Taylor.

Heaton is a good keeper but we don't know when he will be fit again. Steer did well last year and hasn't really had a chance this season to show whether or not he is up to it or not. Nyland has lots of good attributes but always seems to have a mistake in him which doesn't inspire confidence. I think Reina brings some winning mentality and lots of Prem experience so I would keep him and get rid of Nyland.

I would move out Jota, Lansbury, Engels (too slow, fallen out with Smith?), Kalinic, Drinkwater, Hogan, Bree, Chester, Green, AEG and Nyland. 

Davis to be signed on a long contract and then to go out on loan and hopefully score buckets of goals in a lower league. 

But still looking forward to the club surprising us - hopefully if its anything like last year in the next few weeks.

Edited by mallett
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

The club need to bring in known quality who can cut it in the premier league. A few to many of the new players bought in clearly haven't settled or worked out at this level. That's all I ask for.

Just sign someone who fits into our style of play and will immediately step up in the Premier League.

"That's all" :D