Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Can't believe how many times I saw Cantwell mentioned in the last 10 or so pages. Did people just watch the 1 Norwich game against City early this season? Buendia is the real baller in that team. I'd go as far as to say he could be our replacement for Jack if God forbid he leaves.

Would prefer Buendia of the two but I think Cantwell is a decent player in his own right. Can press far more than likes of Hourihane and he scored 6 league goals which is pretty decent considering Norwich just gave up by March. Only 22 so can improve further (Grealish at 22 was still trying to get a regular game for us in the championship).

9 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Why would we be limited to “raiding the relegated clubs”? Aston Villa are the biggest club in this country’s 2nd City. We have billionaire owners with an ambition to succeed. An iconic and historic stadium. 
Yes we are some way behind the likes of Liverpool, City, Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea. But after those clubs who is there in the Premier League that can be realistically viewed as beyond the reach of Aston Villa, in terms of historical standing, stadium, fan base, and finance? Staying up should prove to be absolutely key for us, it allows us some forward continuity for the first time in over a decade. One or two other clubs might have had some decent league finishes in the last few seasons, but the top four still looks pretty much the same as it has done for a decade or more. Neither Spurs or Arsenal can offer champions league football, and for all the fanfare and drum beating, neither can Leicester or Wolves. If there has been a player who has stated that Europa league football is a prerequisite for signing for a team then I must have missed it. Very few are bothered about Europa league football, and most seem to view Europa league as a ball & chain around the ankles of clubs who want to compete in the Premier League. We’ve just pulled off what many before us have failed to do, that being we finished 5th in the championship last season and then had to completely overhaul the squad in one summer. Call it luck, whatever you want, but we pulled it off, we stayed in the Premier League. We’re Premier League again. Thus far I’ve seen no reason why Villa couldn’t put offers in to clubs such as Leicester and Everton for players, or any other club outside of the top 5 or 6. It’s about money, ambition, and direction. If our owners are serious then they shouldn’t have too many problems selling their vision for the club to prospective players. If we’re to progress up the league quickly then we have to be best of the rest in the transfer window after the top few clubs have helped themselves. 

We can put offers in for sure - but if you heard we had bid for Billings of Bournemouth and Coady from wolves - which deal would you be more confident of getting over the line ? 

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Callum Wilson. 

Played for England. 28 years old. Prime years for  a striker. 40 PL goals. About a 1 in 3 striker at this level. Played in a Bournemouth team that have comfortably stayed up at this level for the past 4 or 5 years before it all went pete tong this year.

Not good enough for a Villa side who just scraped 35 points and had a strike force that registered 0 goals between then in their last 20(?) combined appearances.

This is what I love about Villa fans. It will all be cheeky bids for Isco. Trying to sign Poch and making  a statement and "why aren't we in for X player who has gone to Leicester."

And after all that we'll come up with an even worse striker from Belgium.

I'd just get a decent european striker on season loan, Kevin Gamiero etc.

Edited by VillaChris

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I disagree, Solanke has been on the books of Chelsea and Liverpool for a reason, I think he is very talented, good finisher, he works hard for the team too.

Howe is an excellent manager I think, he has been linked with the England job in the past and kept Bournemouth in the Premier League for 5 years, it’s a great achievement 

I don’t care which clubs he has been on the books with to be honest, meaningless as is the fees paid for him.

I don’t dispute that Howe’s done a great job, my point re money spent however is valid.

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t care which clubs he has been on the books with to be honest, meaningless as is the fees paid for him.

I don’t dispute that Howe’s done a great job, my point re money spent however is valid.

How do you judge a player’s ability then? Goalscoring stats? Personally, I take in to account the fee paid, which clubs the player has been at previously, which managers the player has worked under. Why do you think it is meaningless? 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

How do you judge a player’s ability then? Goalscoring stats? Personally, I take in to account the fee paid, which clubs the player has been at previously, which managers the player has worked under. Why do you think it is meaningless? 

So Scott Hogan is a better player than jack Grealish since he never went for a fee or Lansbury more quality than John McGinn

Then again you highly rate Drinkwater so not sure how you judge a player

I think we'll be after players we were not linked to in the media and leaks will come out just before the deals are done...  Hopefully we'll be after a step up in quality this time around.  

My shopping list:

1. Right Winger - BIG signing - Need to spend a large chunk of budget on two new starting wingers. 
  2. Left Winger - BIG signing - Move Jack central behind Wesley/New Striker
  3. Right Back - Starter who can replace Elmo and push Guilbert to the bench.  I love Guilbert, but having a better option here is vital.
  4. Central Defender - Starter who is a born leader and comfortable bringing the ball out of the back
  5. Striker - I don't think they'll be so quick to get rid of Wesley after spending so much on him, but Samatta is shit and we need someone to challenge Wesley for the starting spot
  6. Goalkeeper - Reliable backup for Heaton/someone to challenge him and we can finally get Nyland to fook off
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Nicholas Anelka must be the highest rated player in history, then...

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So Scott Hogan is a better player than jack Grealish since he never went for a fee or Lansbury more quality than John McGinn

Then again you highly rate Drinkwater so not sure how you judge a player

Well obviously Grealish came through our academy so he hasn’t gone for a fee, the sad truth is that he probably will do eventually. It is hard to compare Grealish and Hogan because they play in different positions. McGinn is a better player than Lansbury, no doubt. Drinkwater has won the Premier League, a great achievement in itself

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I use my eyes. Novel approach I know.

You use whatever system you like that helps you identify talent, I’m sure Ethan Moore is going to show his once in a generation talent any day now and RHM is going to rip it up in Cyprus. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

You use whatever system you like that helps you identify talent, I’m sure Ethan Moore is going to show his once in a generation talent any day now and RHM is going to rip it up in Cyprus. 😉

We need to go all in for young Delfouneso to return 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

RHM will do well there, he’s a very talented player, I saw him enough for our u18s and u23s to realise that. Ethan Moore is a very talented footballer but he obviously didn’t fancy it in the end for whatever reason :(

I honestly wouldn't mind if we only brought in 2 players this summer. This window needs to be Quality not quantity. 

If we have say £50m to spend, i'd rather a £25m Striker and £25m Winger - both of proven quality, over 5 roll of the dices on unknown entities 

1 minute ago, Gillz said:

I honestly wouldn't mind if we only brought in 2 players this summer. This window needs to be Quality not quantity. 

If we have say £50m to spend, i'd rather a £25m Striker and £25m Winger - both of proven quality, over 5 roll of the dices on unknown entities 

I can see the deadline day panic now if we only have two signings... 

"This team barely survived and we only bought 2 players?  I thought our owners had ambition?  We're ****!"

"Everyone besides Jack in this team is shit.  The entire squad needs overhauled and Smith will take us down.  NSWE out!"