Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

12 minutes ago, sne said:

We did pay £8m for Tom Heaton last summer. He was 33 at the time.

Obviously GK is a bit different but we gave him a 4 year contract.

just had to look that up as i didn't believe it...that's madness! he's unlikely to play for us again unless it's the cups or if emi gets injured

with regards to milner, i reckon by now we're a bit streched in terms of FFP now. i dont see us paying 8m for him

4 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Can’t see us paying £8m for a 34 year old.

Too right, I can’t believe some responses. Barry arrived at WBA at a similar age for an ‘undisclosed fee’ in 2017. Now I doubt WBA paid a big fee as they were on a down and got relegated the season after.

Just now, tomav84 said:

just had to look that up as i didn't believe it...that's madness! he's unlikely to play for us again unless it's the cups or if emi gets injured

with regards to milner, i reckon by now we're a bit streched in terms of FFP now. i dont see us paying 8m for him

I don't think he's coming here either but he'd be a smashing signing if he was. 

He'd be the Cambiasso to Leicester or Moutinho to Wolves that we need in the squad. And he's still a very good player who can cover multiple roles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m inclined to agree with those who think that the Sarr story has been put out there to hurry WB. I feel certain that all is agreed with the player, and that WB have been informed by the player of this. If that is the case then WB have had leverage taken away, and their hopes of an auction are gone. Expect Rashica to be unveiled Friday  morning, 9am.

I really hope you are right the wait is excruciating and it needs to happen asap!

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Would Milner be better than McGinn in CM?

Depending on form I think he might. He'd also might be better option than Hourihane in CM sometimes and a better LB than Targett sometimes and absolutely a better option at LB than Taylor.

Again, doubt this is happening but I'd be all for it.

• Like 2

Just now, bose said:

Think people are awfully quick to jump on the McGinn is not good enough wagon. 

He’s going through a dip in form but there is nothing to suggest that he’s not good enough  to be a starter, he’s shown that in the past pre-injury.

Needs competition, not replacement.

I think he needs to improve and am very optimistic he can be quality for us again.

People aren't really quick to jump on it though are they? He was poor for a couple of months before his injury, which was excused by the injury. Then he was poor again after lockdown, which was excused by him not playing for ages and now when he looks bad it's again attributed to his injury absence.

Thankfully it's only been one game and against Fulham he should be a bit sharper and have more space to show what he can do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah I agree, McGinn needs replaced...

No, he doesn’t. Signs yesterday that his form and fitness are returning. Some people have short memories on here. He had a difficult time of it after his injury, no time to denigrate him now. Super John will be a great asset.

• Like 1

I would lose control of my bowels if Milner came back.  Fittest player over 30 in the league, he's a phenomenal athlete and I utterly adored the man when he was with us.  He did love his time at Villa, but I'd assume the next step would be at his hometown club and ride into the sunset.  What a great asset in the locker room he would be too.  This is almost as bad as Edouard in the dream category.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think he needs to improve and am very optimistic he can be quality for us again.

People aren't really quick to jump on it though are they? He was poor for a couple of months before his injury, which was excused by the injury. Then he was poor again after lockdown, which was excused by him not playing for ages and now when he looks bad it's again attributed to his injury absence.

Thankfully it's only been one game and against Fulham he should be a bit sharper and have more space to show what he can do.

Was he poor before the injury though? I don’t remember that, but could be wrong.

He was in decent form in the first third of last season or thereabouts.

He deserves criticism but for his lack of form but talking about replacing is naive. Then we need two starting centre midfielders at least which is not doable.

There is no way we are signing Sarr the price is 40 million! It is probably paper talk or less likely something to hurry along Rashica.

Milner for 8 million hmmm I think we would get two seasons out of him for sure, not sure how many more we could get so If you factor in his wages which will be at least 5 million a year (his current salary is 6m) it is a lot of money.

I feel at this point obviously budget dependant we need a wide forward, a central midfielder, a centre back and a left back in that order of priority with the first three being somewhat essential.

I would assume we don't have 100m left or anything crazy like that so I would hope to sign Rashica for 20, spend the 7m supposedly needed for Will Hughes who would be competent but not spectacular in midfield and then I am not sure on the centre back, I did say John Stones early in the window but he is getting games for Man City now.

I do feel that sorting the wide forwards and at least the midfield numbers for 27m would be very good business though for us.

19 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

True enough, I'd love him to be a success.

However competition is what is needed to improve us.

18 minutes ago, bose said:

Was he poor before the injury though? I don’t remember that, but could be wrong.

He was in decent form in the first third of last season or thereabouts.

He deserves criticism but for his lack of form but talking about replacing is naive. Then we need two starting centre midfielders at least which is not doable.

Yeah his form had dipped before the injury. He wasn't crap but no where close to the form he had during the opening weeks.

I'm not calling for McGinn to be replaced but as he is second on the team sheet (in CM) after Luiz and we play with a midfield 3 that means Nakamba or Hourihane also plays. That's not a strong 3 man CM by PL standards when McGinn is out of form.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

McGinn started the season well and had a couple of decent games that was it...

He struggled for form and then got injured...

Post-lockdown he was rushed back to regain fitness and we carried him for several games...

Last few games of the season he improved...

It's the Claret & Blue spectacles again with some of you!