Relegation thread

Knutserov13

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

One slight positive is that wages are under control this time (I hope anyway)

But yes recruitment needs to be a lot smarter and the youth system needs to be better utilised for providing squad filler rather than have the likes of Lansbury languishing on the bench on big wages.

Yeah and we let O’hare go who would of done a decent job in the Championship and been on a fraction of what Lansbury has been stealing off us the last few years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We did Fulham before Fulham did a Fulham, when were relegated in 2016 after signing an whole new team.

We don’t learn do we. 
Didn’t learn from our own mistake, then copied another team who spectacularly failed. 

57 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I'm personally not bothered by relegation.  I'd rather see us win a bunch of games in the Championship than see more of this drivel in the Premier League.  Need to get this squad used to playing on the front foot and with some confidence, instead of just sitting back and expecting to get their teeth kicked in. 

• Keep Smith 
  • Sell Jack (It's inevitable at this point)
  • Spend big on 2 wingers and a striker
  • Try to hold on to McGinn and build around him
  • Get the team used to dominating possession again.  

Between the funds from Jack, the parachute payments, and easing of FFP rules from COVID for next season, even in the Championship we'll be able to spend a pretty penny.  

Heaton

Guilbert - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Luiz - Hourihane

New Winger/El Ghazi - McGinn - New Winger

Wesley/New Striker/Samatta

Buy the right forwards and we'll easily be in title contention with this squad.  

You fell at the first hurdle.

• Like 3

Sack Smith, bring in Sam. 
Controversial for some I know, he’ll get us organised and competing at the top end of the table from the start.

Score goals, concede less, win games, get promoted.

Stay with Sam for at least first year in the premier league. He’ll make us competitive.

Year 3 potentially look for a manager to build on the work of Sam and push us up into the top half.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

I'm personally not bothered by relegation.  I'd rather see us win a bunch of games in the Championship than see more of this drivel in the Premier League.  Need to get this squad used to playing on the front foot and with some confidence, instead of just sitting back and expecting to get their teeth kicked in. 

• Keep Smith 
  • Sell Jack (It's inevitable at this point)
  • Spend big on 2 wingers and a striker
  • Try to hold on to McGinn and build around him
  • Get the team used to dominating possession again.  

Between the funds from Jack, the parachute payments, and easing of FFP rules from COVID for next season, even in the Championship we'll be able to spend a pretty penny.  

Heaton

Guilbert - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Luiz - Hourihane

New Winger/El Ghazi - McGinn - New Winger

Wesley/New Striker/Samatta

Buy the right forwards and we'll easily be in title contention with this squad.  

Hope we sell Mings to be honest. He let himself and the club down the other day. Showed his true colours.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Think they have left it a bit late. Leeds and West Brom will get the automatic spots

In form team for the play offs though, full of confidence. Albion dropped points to day and their goal difference compared to other possible play off teams is ridiculous. Must be favourites to win play offs.

Edited by smg
New information

4 of the last 5 play off winners were relegated. My target was 17th at the start of the season, but sadly we now appear to be the 5th of the last 6 winners, to go straight back down. I hope we can at least win one or two games on the way down (four would be even better :D). Let's try and be able to hold our heads up a little bit, rather than go down waving a white flag, like Norwich have done.    

• Like 2

I’m so pleased I don’t have to go into some sort of battle with some of the bed wetters popping up here today. Watford still need 6pts to be guaranteed their premier league safety. Listen, if we fail to win tomorrow then we’re done. But all this whining I’m reading about sackings, it’s over, rip it up and start again, blah blah blah. Pathetic. As unlikely as it might feel right now, a win tomorrow gets us right back in it. It’s out of our hands but there’s still a pathway out. Unlikely, but possible. And until it’s mathematically impossible then we fight on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Controversial for some I know, he’ll get us organised and competing at the top end of the table from the start.

Stay with Sam for at least first year in the premier league. He’ll make us competitive.

Year 3 potentially look for a manager to build on the work of Sam and push us up into the top half.

Wouldn’t mind him.

He is a very effective manager, all he would need is assistance in finding some good players around the lower leagues.

We would have a system and he would be bloody good at it too.

One thing that I’m unsure of is he promotion of youth players into the first team.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m so pleased I don’t have to go into some sort of battle with some of the bed wetters popping up here today. Watford still need 6pts to be guaranteed their premier league safety. Listen, if we fail to win tomorrow then we’re done. But all this whining I’m reading about sackings, it’s over, rip it up and start again, blah blah blah. Pathetic. As unlikely as it might feel right now, a win tomorrow gets us right back in it. It’s out of our hands but there’s still a pathway out. Unlikely, but possible. And until it’s mathematically impossible then we fight on. 

I appreciate the optimism, honestly do, but unless we get some good luck elsewhere, and our team starts playing well, it's looking quite predictable. Never say never I suppose!

16 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

As unlikely as it might feel right now, a win tomorrow gets us right back in it. It’s out of our hands but there’s still a pathway out. Unlikely, but possible. And until it’s mathematically impossible then we fight on. 

Is there anything more nauseating than this kind of cringeworthy drivel? 🤢

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Have to entirely change the playing staff after fans moan and whinge and complain about style and our squad is made up of players suited to Sam's style.

23 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

. And until it’s mathematically impossible then we fight on. 

The team and Smith aren’t fighting, that’s the problem and we haven’t all season.

Why should we give a damn when Smith threw in the towel against United? 

• Like 1

Yeah we’re gone now. We have basically no chance. Even 3 wins probably isn’t enough. 

Every season people think it’s gonna be less than 36/37 points. But every season teams down there pick up a few wins towards the end of the season. If you’re not one of them then you’re gone. 

It’ll probably be 37 points. And we won’t get that. I’d be surprised if we get 31 to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Yeah and we let O’hare go who would of done a decent job in the Championship and been on a fraction of what Lansbury has been stealing off us the last few years.

Based on?

He's never played a game of championship football in his life.

• Like 2