Relegation thread

Knutserov13

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are all excited to see Villa win.

You need to stop this non sense thinking there is an agenda and thinking some fans hope to see Villa to lose.

That's ridiculous. We all want to stay up.

Who said anything about an agenda? Wasn’t me. My post was for all those who roll over, those who whine about losing but go quiet when there’s positive news. Those who were pi55ing themselves yesterday at a Watford win. So I’ll carry on thx 

Just to chuck something else in... Brighton have Southampton, Newcastle and Burnley to play, and they're on 36 points. Lose all 3, and we gain this 7 points we're all chucking around, then it could be Brighton that we catch and send down.

We play before them (Watford and West Ham)

Win on Thursday and we're 1 point off them both and put massive pressure on them. 

Watford and West Ham play eachother on Friday. Need West Ham to win that game. If they do they are at the beach by the time we play them and Watford have a difficult run in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Interestingly enough, West Ham beating Watford is the only result that would mean overtaking either of those two sides is out of our own hands.

Assuming, as we must, that we beat Everton, then if Watford beat or draw with West Ham, we would have to match the latter’s result against Man Utd in our game against Arsenal and then win on the last day to stay up.

Whereas if West Ham beat Watford it’s out of our hands to catch both. West Ham would probably be safe on the last day, though not necessarily.

In conclusion, I’m not sure what to conclude. Probably a draw is the best result, since it gives us the best chance of catching both/either of West Ham and Watford. It also matters little to the various scenarios if West Ham get either 0 or 1 points in that match, so it’s better for Watford to get 1 than 3 then. As long as we’re prepared for a final day shootout vs West Ham.

It would be in our hands but it would make the task harder e.g we'd need to beat one of Everton/Arsenal and West Ham to finish above them. Two wins out of three. That's still a big ask.

I'm looking at Watford losing their last 3 so they finish at 34 points and their GD takes a significant hit. It's possible we could just need 4 points to survive as long as we don't get hammered in the game we lose.

Watford will be targeting West Ham game as most likely to get some points out of from their last three so would knock their confidence if they lose that whereas a draw would continue their unbeaten run and they'd fancy picking up at least a point at Arsenal on the final day.

Fantastic to see a win at last today! Well done to the team for finally pulling their fingers out and lets hope that by some miracle we can do a Baggies style "Great Escape"  from a few years back. Now a tough game at Everton who will have received a rollicking for their no show against Wolves.

At least if nothing else it ends the sorry run since Jan and annoys those clubs just above us and some of the other haters for a week.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Who said anything about an agenda? Wasn’t me. My post was for all those who roll over, those who whine about losing but go quiet when there’s positive news. Those who were pi55ing themselves yesterday at a Watford win. So I’ll carry on thx 

Yes we shouldn't whine about losing.............fans have opinions and forums are exactly the place for them, unfortunately you have to accept that some fans see things differently. I don't know of any real Villa fan who will be upset by today's results and if someone then perhaps they should have a good look at themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

As shown above, watford could lose all 3 and we only need 4 pts to do it. 

Still unlikely that the GD is overturned, unless you’re just assuming that Man City won 5-0 again.

There are good arguments for every result in the Watford vs West Ham match (worst outcome a Watford win, though still not a disaster), I reckon a draw is ideal and others think a West Ham win would be. The fact that we can actually have this discussion probably means it doesn’t really matter that much.

7 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Just to chuck something else in... Brighton have Southampton, Newcastle and Burnley to play, and they're on 36 points. Lose all 3, and we gain this 7 points we're all chucking around, then it could be Brighton that we catch and send down.

Even after the Man. City thrashing their GD is still -16 so 11 better than us.

Realistically Watford is the only team we could finish level on points with and finish above.

I'd be very confident of staying up if we got another 7 points but that feels like too much of an ask from this team despite how well we did today. If we're focused and take our chances 5 points is possible and that could well be enough.

While today's result was very much needed and was nice to see some fight, it doesn't change much for me in thinking that we're still going down. 

IF we beat Everton on Thursday and Watford lose then I may allow myself to believe again but with Aston Villa they give you hope far too often only to send us crashing back down to earth. 

• Like 1

The one thing we really really need is United and Citeh to do their jobs and be ruthless like they were against us. 

Don't want to see another freak result like Watford beating Liverpool. Just imagine how different it would all feel now if Liverpool had done their job and smashed Watford like they should have. 

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Still unlikely that the GD is overturned, unless you’re just assuming that Man City won 5-0 again.

There are good arguments for every result in the Watford vs West Ham match (worst outcome a Watford win, though still not a disaster), I reckon a draw is ideal and others think a West Ham win would be. The fact that we can actually have this discussion probably means it doesn’t really matter that much.

If they lose all 3 and we pick up 4pts there is a decent chance that goal difference goes.

• Like 2