Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Oh well, as I said earlier.

I feel this squad was signed with one eye on the Championship.

They are more than good enough for the Championship IMO.

So, we clear what's left of the deadwood.

Sell Jack l(If he is still wanted) and reinvest that money into -

- Keeping Luiz at all costs

- A big strong Midfield enforcer 

- 2 ACTUAL wingers.

- 2 Fullbacks.

- Mings? (unsure)

• Like 3

We'll stick with Dean next season,  no point swapping at this stage.   I'm not overly bothered about relegation tbh, it's been expected for a  while, we just need to see who sticks around. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

The difference has been a Pearson or Moyles with Premier League experience vs Smith with none and his poor decision making and inexperience. It’s cost us unfortunately. The board are to blame. The most stupid thing I’ve ever seen was to offer him a new contract 3 months into a first Premier League season when he hadn’t even started that well, he wasn’t going anywhere. Disappointed beyond belief.

Pearson, possibly. Always had my doubts about Chris Moyles though.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

Yep, this is about as neat a summary of this season as possible.

I see it as a collection of major issues which contributed to the almost-certain relegation this season:

1. The squad was at the end of its cycle and needed a large overhaul

Whether we had been promoted or not I think the squad would have seen a pretty large change anyway - players like Whelan, Adomah, Abraham, Tuanzebe and so many others who were released or not loaned back would have needed to be replaced anyway. I think the squad management had been poor under Xia and Bruce which had left us in the position where we needed to replace much of the squad in one summer - it just happened that we needed even more to replace those only at a Championship level - we had to sign new players for virtually every position. Coming off a short offseason as well it left us with the most to do in the shortest time, which left us at a disadvantage. However, I don't think we can just accept it was the wrong time to come up.

2. The recruitment, board and management were at loggerheads due to FFP pressure

It's fairly well publicised that Smith wanted players like Maupay, Phillips and Benrahma and I'm sure there were other players on the shortlist who weren't signed against the wishes of Smith. I think partly the number of signings needed meant that with FFP pressure we couldn't spend 20m on every single player under their strategy of getting numbers through the door. Perhaps in hindsight we could have signed less players but of better quality, but also some of the money we have spent has been a massive waste. 15m on Targett, 22m on Wesley and 9m on Trezeguet stand out as particularly wasteful spends, compared to more shrews spends on players like Heaton and Guilbert who have represented good performances for their value.

Definitely think the influence 1 & 2 have had on this season is underestimated. Can't recall any other squad needing such major surgery. Combine that with FFP and we were at a major disadvantage before we'd even started. 

Being hopeful, I'd like to think the club is in a better state wherever we end up. Most of the high wages are gone, any player that leaves we'll actually get some money for (12 players going out the door for pittance didn't help much with no.2).

Much better platform to build on next season. We just need the right people to do it.

54 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No sympathy in football management and hes been paid a lot of money. Nothing against him but he should have gone in January to give someone else a chance of keeping us in the division. Relegation is a disaster for our football club. Ron Saunders and Graham Taylor  got promotion in their first seasons and although they struggled in the first season in the top flight we stayed up and went from strength to strength,. We're going down without even a whimper and we could end up in the wilderness for many years to come. 

I understand fully that there is little, if no sympathy in football, and I understand some fans will want him gone. I just don't get the name calling. Shows a complete lack of class. I would hope we as supporters would be better than that.👍

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I have tried to be so positive and optimistic. But after that, we're done.

Most depressing thing is that watford and west ham will still be awful next season, fighting relegation

We could have pushed on with our financial backing

That’s what’s annoying as next season could see us spending a lot more ££ on top players, than what we got in this season but now if we do go down it’ll be yet another re-build

7 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I understand fully that there is little, if no sympathy in football, and I understand some fans will want him gone. I just don't get the name calling. Shows a complete lack of class. I would hope we as supporters would be better than that.👍

Yes quite right. 

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Guys, I think we did a Fulham

We had to do a Fulham. 

The only other option we had was to do a Norwich with a significantly worse squad than they had. Would have been relegated by Christmas. 

• Like 3

Has a manager ever, in the history of the premier league, taken over a struggling championship club with 1 win in 9, got them promoted, rebuilt a whole squad out of necessity rather than choice and kept them up? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Has a manager ever, in the history of the premier league, taken over a struggling championship club with 1 win in 9, got them promoted, rebuilt a whole squad out of necessity rather than choice and kept them up? 

Those are rather specific circumstances so I'm guessing probably not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

He kept his three best players. Abraham was the big loss. 

I've just realised that even if we only take four points from the next two that would put us just three points behind West Ham and Watford they then play each other, and then their last two games are Arsenal and Man City for Watford and Man Utd and Aston Villa for West Ham. A win tomorrow really would make things interesting again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Has a manager ever, in the history of the premier league, taken over a struggling championship club with 1 win in 9, got them promoted, rebuilt a whole squad out of necessity rather than choice and kept them up and had 150 million to do so ?

Fixed that for you bud 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smg said:

Just noticed when we go down there is a very good chance we could be replaced by Brentford given their current form.

Think they have left it a bit late. Leeds and West Brom will get the automatic spots

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I've just realised that even if we only take four points from the next two that would put us just three points behind West Ham and Watford they then play each other, and then their last two games are Arsenal and Man City for Watford and Man Utd and Aston Villa for West Ham. A win tomorrow really would make things interesting again.

I'd go as far as to say it's bare minimum that we have palace and everton beaten before the other 2 play each other. Draws no good now, your only pissing into the wind .