Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Sack Smith, bring in Sam. 
Controversial for some I know, he’ll get us organised and competing at the top end of the table from the start.

Score goals, concede less, win games, get promoted.

Stay with Sam for at least first year in the premier league. He’ll make us competitive.

Year 3 potentially look for a manager to build on the work of Sam and push us up into the top half.

I actually wouldn't be against this. He would lay some solid foundations that we could then build on. Would definitely view him as a 2-3 year appointment. 

34 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m so pleased I don’t have to go into some sort of battle with some of the bed wetters popping up here today. Watford still need 6pts to be guaranteed their premier league safety. Listen, if we fail to win tomorrow then we’re done. But all this whining I’m reading about sackings, it’s over, rip it up and start again, blah blah blah. Pathetic. As unlikely as it might feel right now, a win tomorrow gets us right back in it. It’s out of our hands but there’s still a pathway out. Unlikely, but possible. And until it’s mathematically impossible then we fight on. 

A win tomorrow and we’ll still be 4 points from safety. 5 when you consider our inferior goal difference. 
It’ll be the first win we’ve managed since January and we’ve only scored two goals in the past 5 games. 
And you think we can manage two more while Watford and West Ham don’t manage any other points?

There’s nothing pathetic about facing up to the reality that it is highly HIGHLY unlikely we are staying up. We aren’t the team. I expect the team to keep fighting. 
It’s not bed wetting, as a fan, to realise that we are going down

• Like 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

I actually wouldn't be against this. He would lay some solid foundations that we could then build on. Would definitely view him as a 2-3 year appointment. 

I agree with everything apart from the Big Sam bit. 

Id rather keep smith

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I agree with everything apart from the Big Sam bit. 

Id rather keep smith

Can understand the sentiment tbh. Not sure Smith has it in him or organise a team in the same way Fat Sam would.

I mean if we can could get a better manager to do it then i'm all for it. No one is coming to mind though. 

20 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Have to entirely change the playing staff after fans moan and whinge and complain about style and our squad is made up of players suited to Sam's style.

What style of play would we be giving up to “put up” with Sam’s? We haven’t had a style since MON left.

42 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m so pleased I don’t have to go into some sort of battle with some of the bed wetters popping up here today. Watford still need 6pts to be guaranteed their premier league safety. Listen, if we fail to win tomorrow then we’re done. But all this whining I’m reading about sackings, it’s over, rip it up and start again, blah blah blah. Pathetic. As unlikely as it might feel right now, a win tomorrow gets us right back in it. It’s out of our hands but there’s still a pathway out. Unlikely, but possible. And until it’s mathematically impossible then we fight on. 

We’re a pathetic, loser team and club and have been for a decade. I’m sorry but this is the truth. The only thing we seem to be interested in these days is beating the Noses; back in the day it was challenging for Europe at the very minimum that was expected of this great club.

As Souness said, everything about this club is Premier League. That’s not delusion or arrogance as some other fans have suggested, it’s the truth. Yet our structure has been atrocious for god knows how long. There is enough in our club to be midtable PL at the very minimum. The fact we are where we are is a damning indictment of how we have been run since Doug Ellis left.

The only issue I have with sticking with Smith is the message it sends out. It says the piss poor attempt at staying up this year is acceptable. It says that spending a shit load on players and not getting a tune out of them is ok. He didn’t even 100% commitment as they downed tools several times.

I’d like to see us say thanks Dean, but we’ve fallen well short this year and it’s not good enough. Even though we’ll be starting next season in the division below we want to change the culture at the club and install a winning and working mentality.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

We should try to buy young players with PL potential, and we must try to assimilate our youth players where possible, and augment them with clever loans who can be replaced with PL quality players if we go up.

For me, we should be trying to sign guys like Kieran Dowell outright if we go down. A really good talent but with Everton's options and money probably isn't going to get into the team so he has a decision to make this summer. He could definetely play premier league in a year or 2.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

For me, we should be trying to sign guys like Kieran Dowell outright if we go down. A really good talent but with Everton's options and money probably isn't going to get into the team so he has a decision to make this summer. He could definetely play premier league in a year or 2.

He was on loan at forest wasn't he? I remember liking the look of him there. Good shout that.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

He was on loan at forest wasn't he? I remember liking the look of him there. Good shout that.

Classy on the ball. Sharp in transitional phases and a very intelligent footballer. Yeah, he pretty much played that whole season at forest and did very well. Bit part player for Sheffield United last season but hard to break into a winning team. Disastrous loan at derby early on this season, Everton hauled him back and sent him to Wigan and he's done fantastic for them. Still only 21 or 22 i think but probably decision time for him. Not saying it would be a statement signing for us but a really good one that would fit into a current and future team structure. Wouldn't be a huge fee for him id imagine.

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

See, there's a contradiction here.

We kept our three best players (only players good enough I'd say) but one of them cost £25m. We spent nearly £40m of that £140m bringing three players back who had been with us the season before. Two of which probably should only be squad players at best.

What does £100m buy you in terms of 8 starting players in the prem league? Go through the squads and cost of them, particularly at the top and mid table and you'll see. Then, factor in you'd need more players to make up the rest of the squad and there we are. 

Maybe but looking at the way Shef United are playing against Chelsea. Enda Stevens was at Villa and hes having a great game. Wilder's got a system and can adapt it and knows what hes doing, Smith is out of his depth. We could have got some journeyman footballers in just to keep us in the division.  We signed quite a few players with zero experience of the Premier League just like when Sherwood was manager. Thought we would have learnt our lesson. We could and should have spent it better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smg said:

In form team for the play offs though, full of confidence. Albion dropped points to day and their goal difference compared to other possible play off teams is ridiculous. Must be favourites to win play offs.

I was expecting them to hold onto their lead at blackburn. Its wide open!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Not only does have a system but the players are working the socks off for him. 

This proves the theory of hard work and attitude over talent. We have talented players but they are not giving 100%.

and that disappoints you more than anything