Relegation thread

Knutserov13

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Sack Smith, bring in Sam. 
Controversial for some I know, he’ll get us organised and competing at the top end of the table from the start.

Score goals, concede less, win games, get promoted.

Stay with Sam for at least first year in the premier league. He’ll make us competitive.

Year 3 potentially look for a manager to build on the work of Sam and push us up into the top half.

Beyond stupid idea to bring Sam in! Just a joke!

45 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

This proves the theory of hard work and attitude over talent. We have talented players but they are not giving 100%.

And that’s the million dollar question as to why that is. You have to look at the manager.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why is it? He’d have us a damn more organised and hard working. It might not be pretty but it will be effective.

No way, on the rare occasions we’re one of the better teams in a division I want us to play attacking football and take the game to the opposition.

The main gripe with Bruce was despite him having one of  the best squads his focus was on keeping it tight and nicking a goal.  Remember him treating Fulham like Barcelona in the playoff final?

1 minute ago, jim said:

Why is it? He’d have us a damn more organised and hard working. It might not be pretty but it will be effective.

If Big Sam is your answer I’m giving up now.  Even just looking up his managerial record at Sunderland, Everton and Palace recently is not much better than Smiths now and only as good as Watford now.  If that’s sufficient upscale for you with established teams you’re crazy.  Big Sam myth continues that he’s a decent manager, which hasn’t been true for a very long time.

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Beyond stupid, really?

Nobody is going to be in agreement with everyone else’s opinion, but brandishing bringing in an ex-England manager with a very good record as “beyond stupid” is frankly... beyond stupid.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If Big Sam is your answer I’m giving up now.  Even just looking up his managerial record at Sunderland, Everton and Palace recently is not much better than Smiths now and only as good as Watford now.  If that’s sufficient upscale for you with established teams you’re crazy.  Big Sam myth continues that he’s a decent manager, which hasn’t been true for a very long time.

When he took over at Sunderland and Palace they were both facing relegation. He kept them both up. 

He finished 8th with Everton, I’d take any of those in a heartbeat. 

8 hours ago, weedman said:

To be fair we could get 7 points with only 2 shots on target in 4 games...I mean obviously we won't, because that would require 3 clean sheets and us being clinical in front of goal, but technically it's possible 

Has worked for Newcastle this season 😂😂

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sunderland: Joined November with the club in 19th in the premier league, led them to safety.

Palace: Joined in December with the club in 18th, guided them to safety.

Everton: Joined with them November in 13th, finished the season in 8th

If only we’d brought him in earlier we’d have given ourself a chance.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jim said:

What were your thoughts on Steve Bruce as our manager?

5 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

What were your thoughts on Steve Bruce as our manager?

I wasn’t his biggest fan but he came in, stabilized us and stopped and the rot. Got us to the playoff final and it all went down hill from there. The fans didn’t want him and he stopped caring. 

1 minute ago, jim said:

I wasn’t his biggest fan but he came in, stabilized us and stopped and the rot. Got us to the playoff final and it all went down hill from there. The fans didn’t want him and he stopped caring. 

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

For what it's worth, I think the same would happen with big Sam. He maybe slightly more successful.

I think he would steady us, organise us, maybe get us up. Who knows? When was the last time he was in the championship? But I think the fans would quickly turn because he wouldn't be exciting enough. We've seen it before and we will see it again. 

For that reason, I wouldn't want him. 

Bruce has been well backed financially at every club he's been at, even Hull and small heath spent big when he was their manager. If he was our manager this season we'd already be relegated now mathematically, he's done well this season but has also been lucky to inherit a ready made decent premier league side in Newcastle.

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

Beyond stupid, really?

Nobody is going to be in agreement with everyone else’s opinion, but brandishing bringing in an ex-England manager with a very good record as “beyond stupid” is frankly... beyond stupid.

ex-England manager......haha.....one game!

41 minutes ago, jim said:

When he took over at Sunderland and Palace they were both facing relegation. He kept them both up. 

He finished 8th with Everton, I’d take any of those in a heartbeat. 

Great, good for you! Glad you’re not choosing the manager.