Relegation thread

Knutserov13

I'm personally not bothered by relegation.  I'd rather see us win a bunch of games in the Championship than see more of this drivel in the Premier League.  Need to get this squad used to playing on the front foot and with some confidence, instead of just sitting back and expecting to get their teeth kicked in. 

• Keep Smith 
  • Sell Jack (It's inevitable at this point)
  • Spend big on 2 wingers and a striker
  • Try to hold on to McGinn and build around him
  • Get the team used to dominating possession again.  

Between the funds from Jack, the parachute payments, and easing of FFP rules from COVID for next season, even in the Championship we'll be able to spend a pretty penny.  

Heaton

Guilbert - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Luiz - Hourihane

New Winger/El Ghazi - McGinn - New Winger

Wesley/New Striker/Samatta

Buy the right forwards and we'll easily be in title contention with this squad.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Think they have left it a bit late. Leeds and West Brom will get the automatic spots

West Brom play Fulham next. Not a gimme by any stretch. Fulham will fancy their chances for 2nd if they can beat them.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

West Brom play Fulham next. Not a gimme by any stretch. Fulham will fancy their chances for 2nd if they can beat them.

3 games left. If West Brom win today they are 5 points ahead. 

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I've just realised that even if we only take four points from the next two that would put us just three points behind West Ham and Watford they then play each other, and then their last two games are Arsenal and Man City for Watford and Man Utd and Aston Villa for West Ham. A win tomorrow really would make things interesting again.

Love this kind of optimism, but of course here's the flaw: Could a different team capitalize and really push hard to keep things interesting given the same circumstances? Yes, absolutely. Could the Villa? No.

Four points from the next two and West Ham beating Watford would give us a chance. We'd be just three points behind Watford with two games left, them playing Arsenal and Man City and us playing Arsenal and West Ham who would already be confirmed safe in this scenario. So yes I think four points from the next two would give us some hope. By the same token if we lose the next two we will be officially relegated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The premier League offers no joy for teams outside the top 6. West Ham , Watford and all the others will be down the bottom next season getting thrashed and scrapping survival. At least we will be winning more games than we lose and hopefully we can have the joy of promotion, a feeling that was better than winning the league cups 94 and 96 and being runners up  for me . UTV 

32 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Fixed that for you bud 

35 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He kept his three best players. Abraham was the big loss. 

See, there's a contradiction here.

We kept our three best players (only players good enough I'd say) but one of them cost £25m. We spent nearly £40m of that £140m bringing three players back who had been with us the season before. Two of which probably should only be squad players at best.

What does £100m buy you in terms of 8 starting players in the prem league? Go through the squads and cost of them, particularly at the top and mid table and you'll see. Then, factor in you'd need more players to make up the rest of the squad and there we are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Yep we're done.. made worse by the huge delay in this all due to the virus so the the most depressing, long drawn out relegation in history. Normally fans only have to suffer till late April early May not Mid July FFS.

A big tip of the hat to the corrupt people running VAR (cost us 7 points at least) and the Premier League bosses who have as good as condemned us with the ridiculous fixture congestion and unfair laying out of those fixtures which yet again saw us disadvantaged too.

Worst season i have ever witnessed, appalling.

Don't kid yourself, mate. We were the architects of our own downfall.

We bought the wrong players, took too many chances on too many players hoping they’d cut it.

Nearly £45m on 3 players from the Belgian Jupiter league. Another £25m on 3 more from France and Turkey.

You can’t prepare for a season in the Premier League with a squad of expensive punts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

To be honest we deserve it we have picked up 2 points from the last 30 available. That is pathetic simple as that. Suso needs to **** off with his clueless signings sharpish. Dean needs to do the honourable thing and resign. John Terry pop off to Bristol city because god knows what you have been doing here but it can’t have been any defensive work.

player wise I’d like to keep heaton if possible konsa, hause, targett. Mings keep but I don’t think he is premier league quality however if somebody wants to pay enough get rid but I can see why Bournemouth were not fussed about losing him. Jack goes regardless. McGinn not sure he is prem quality but someone like Southampton will probably take him. Doug will go. Tree and el ghazi please somebody take them. So essentially I think we need at least half a team which will probably result in championship quality players did to much money who we can’t then get rid off if we get promoted again. All In all a really poor effort from everybody this season perhaps with the exception of jack up to the end of January but after that he hasn’t looked interested 

We should try to buy young players with PL potential, and we must try to assimilate our youth players where possible, and augment them with clever loans who can be replaced with PL quality players if we go up.

Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

the youth system needs to be better utilised for providing squad filler rather than have the likes of Lansbury languishing on the bench on big wages.

Well said. This absolutely HAS to be a thing of the past, because really, desperately average players filling up the bench on massive wages has come to define this club over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Basically we need to win 4 games and hope it enough, this is nothing new. The marker has always been around 40 points, unfortunately it looks really unlikely for villa. My only ask is that we go down fighting

It hasn't been 40 pts for a while now - as top 4 hardly ever lose - 36 pts gives you a good chance of staying up.