Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, it's official. We are breaking the rules (or is it 'the law'?) Rules for grandparents: 

BBC

If I was you, I’d check the actual legislation for your area, not the BBC version.

The BBC are currently deliberately getting much of this stuff very wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slowandlow said:

Thought there were special  exemptions for childcare? Unless the rules have changed again 

Certainly a few weeks ago they announced informal childcare by family was ok

I think that may still be the case, but only for one other household. We look after three grandchildren from two households. One of our daughters is in our house at the same time using our study for WFH (her husband is using their own kitchen table for his WFH office). And of course there is some entering of houses when the other daughter's kids are delivered/collected. 

Incidentally, both daughters have NHS or NHS-related jobs - their line is: "If the government doesn't want us using grandparent child care while we do our jobs, they can pay for full-time nursery provision". 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

25 Covid deaths so far in New Zealand and yet they voted the incompetent bastard back in.

This doesn't tell the true story of the horrific impact her policies have had on the economy, freedom, and every day life of people in New Zealand. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54520540

The All Blacks' spiritual home Eden Park is expected to host a "near capacity" crowd of 47,000 for the second Bledisloe Cup match between New Zealand and Australia on Sunday.

Oh. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don’t know if anyone saw a piece yesterday on Sky News on China having a vaccine in the evening? Must admit I was doing something else at the time so it didn’t have my full attention but it looked like people were waiting in line and being charged for it? I think they had to sign some form too (liability). Probably just me putting 2+2 together and getting 5. Could be a covid test they were waiting for but I’m 90% sure I heard vaccine. 

10 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Don’t know if anyone saw a piece yesterday on Sky News on China having a vaccine in the evening? Must admit I was doing something else at the time so it didn’t have my full attention but it looked like people were waiting in line and being charged for it? I think they had to sign some form too (liability). Probably just me putting 2+2 together and getting 5. Could be a covid test they were waiting for but I’m 90% sure I heard vaccine. 

They have claimed to be distributing one. The thing on vaccines is that the stage 3 ‘wait to see if there are side effects’ period is normally 3-5 years when developing a vaccine so anything issued in the next 12 months is essentially using the general population as the ‘wait and see if there are side effects’ stage. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Yes I heard it on the news. Charged £45 and its not been through stage 3 testing yet. 

On 18/10/2020 at 07:41, LondonLax said:

They have claimed to be distributing one. The thing on vaccines is that the stage 3 ‘wait to see if there are side effects’ period is normally 3-5 years when developing a vaccine so anything issued in the next 12 months is essentially using the general population as the ‘wait and see if there are side effects’ stage. 

The beauty of a heavily autocratic leadership system!  Same with Russia I guess, they can just do it and screw the political consequences if it goes tits up.  Ultimately could be useful medical research for the rest of us though, a bit like back in the day with the Nazis.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Surely we'll be following suit and going for a similar "circuit-breaker" soon?

I don't think it'll happen for a couple of weeks now. They missed the chance to do it before half term. Now there will be tens of thousands of UK half term holiday bookings which would have to be refunded if there's a national lockdown, causing huge financial damage to the hospitality industry.

Â