Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Used coronavirus swab tests were accidentally given out to households in Birmingham, council officials said.

Birmingham City Council said about 25 kits had been given out by mistake in the student area of Selly Oak as part of its "drop-and-collect" service.

It said the error was quickly realised, the kits remained intact and there was no evidence of cross-contamination.

However, student David Lewes, 21, said he and four housemates used the tests without realising they were not new.

"We are really distressed, shocked, violated and one of my friends threw up after finding out they had been used before," he said.

Who to believe?

Link

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Absolutely not. Discriminating against specific groups? Slippery slope.

You'd rather **** everyone out of a sense of fairness? 

This is another one of those where I think we just have a fundamental, unresolvable difference of opinion I'm afraid. I would much prefer to allow the majority to live their life as freely as possible rather than severely impact the freedoms and economic opportunity of everyone else. It sucks for those people, and I wish there was an alternative, but I'm not sure making everyone else go through it is the answer.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Wales to ban travel from UK Covid hotspots

Are they going to reman all of the castles? :D

It’s a return to a measure that was already previously in place. I’m not sure why it’s taken so long or been greeted with so much drama this time around. 

The infection rate in Richmond Upon Thames is three times higher than here. They can go shopping in the County next door to me, but I can’t. the infection rate last week in Manchester was ten times more than here, they can go for a walk up Snowdon, I can’t.

Feels like a logical move to try and make it a bit fairer for all.

Doubtless tories and gammons with union jacks in their gardens will all be deliberately confused and outraged. 

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You'd rather **** everyone out of a sense of fairness?

A solution has to be found that involves everyone.

Your solution has you saying that it's okay to select a specific group in society on relatively arbitrary criteria (i.e. they are more vulnerable to death than other groups) and do whatever it takes to them so that eveyone else can just go around and act as normal.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is another one of those where I think we just have a fundamental, unresolvable difference of opinion I'm afraid. I would much prefer to allow the majority to live their life as freely as possible rather than severely impact the freedoms and economic opportunity of everyone else. It sucks for those people, and I wish there was an alternative, but I'm not sure making everyone else go through it is the answer.

The problem is that you cannot see just what you are advocating.

What measures are you wanting to see imposed on this group and what criteria are you setting out for who it affects?

Over 80? Over 70? Over 60? People with a BMI of over 40? People on the shielding list? All BAME people?

What should be done with them? Confine them to their homes? Make it a criminal offence for them to go outside?

Maybe we should just cull them?

Genuinely, it's probably one of the worst* posts that I have read on VT, ever.

*Worst as in utterly horrific.

Edited by snowychap

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a return to a measure that was already previously in place. I’m not sure why it’s taken so long or been greeted with so much drama this time around. 

The infection rate in Richmond Upon Thames is three times higher than here. They can go shopping in the County next door to me, but I can’t. the infection rate last week in Manchester was ten times more than here, they can go for a walk up Snowdon, I can’t.

Feels like a logical move to try and make it a bit fairer for all.

Doubtless tories and gammons with union jacks in their gardens will all be deliberately confused and outraged.

How is it enforced, though?

Has Wales introduced a requirement to carry ID, a requirement to tell any authorised person their address?

My comment about the castles was pretty tongue in cheek but similar to the Cumbrian police's message to Celtic and Rangers fans, what are they planning to do?

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Genuinely, it's probably one of the worst posts that I have read on VT, ever.

I was more thinking we could tell them to go back to shielding  which is quite far from the cull you've decided is my intention, but I'll be honest, I've got involved in enough of these kind of discussions with you going off on one about something someone didn't say to know not to bother. Have a nice evening, I'm done. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

How is it enforced, though?

Has Wales introduced a requirement to carry ID, a requirement to tell any authorised person their address?

My comment about the castles was pretty tongue in cheek but similar to the Cumbrian police's message to Celtic and Rangers fans, what are they planning to do?

As I say, it’s reintroducing a rule that was previously in place.

Random stopping of cars, if you don’t live in the county and don’t have a good reason to be there, you get a fine.

Also, the post code of holiday lets can be used to cancel reservations.

It’s literally already happening here, except right now, if I was stopped and Bicks was stopped, both going to Trago Mills in Merthyr to buy whatever, he would be allowed, I’d get fined and turned back.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was more thinking we could tell them to go back to shielding

And that's absolutely fine as a suggestion as shielding was voluntary on the basis of a recommendation - though it was often, unfortunately, not portrayed as such.

That is very different to 'locking down the vulnerable' which suggests the idea that has been advocated elsewhere that those groups ought to be 'locked down', i.e. compelled to remove themselves from society.

There is a question, though, on how 'voluntary' any long term shielding thing would be - it would surely become a 'de facto' compulsory situation.

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

which is quite far from the cull you've decided is my intention

I hadn't decided that was your intention - the 'cull' comment was hyperbole inserted to imply that a slope tends to end somewhere very far from where it starts.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll be honest, I've got involved in enough of these kind of discussions with you going off on one about something someone didn't say to know not to bother

The same could equally be said about your comment about 'the cull you've decided is my intention'.

Edited by snowychap

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

if I was stopped and Bicks was stopped, both going to Trago Mills in Merthyr to buy whatever, he would be allowed, I’d get fined and turned back.

If you ever catch me actually going to Trago Mills, you have my permission to shoot me

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As I say, it’s reintroducing a rule that was previously in place.

Kind of in place but not in this way. That was about all travel to an area wherever one was coming from, wasn't it? I.e. travel beyond x miles was not permitted unless someone had a reasonable excuse. So the same thing as applies in the local lockdown areas now. This is about applying it in areas where there aren't local lockdowns.

I do get your point about the inconsistencies between what would apply to you and to Bicks but at the same time, other than random car stops, it's a difficult thing to police in areas where there aren't already local lockdown restrictions that are over and above the basic countrywide ones.

Beeb:

Mr Drakeford told Times Radio "we did exactly this for many many weeks earlier this year".

He warned anyone planning to "evade" a police officer "trying to prevent people from travelling onwards".

"When they arrive in the far west of Wales, I'm afraid they will meet a local population that are fearful, that are anxious and are on the lookout for people who shouldn't be in those areas."

"So your difficulties aren't over by evading the police, there'll be other checks in the system."

I think that's far from helpful. 'On the lookout for people who shouldn't be in those areas' - it doesn't conjure up a great picture.

"When they arrive in the far west of Wales, I'm afraid they will meet a local population that are fearful, that are anxious and are on the lookout for people who shouldn't be in those areas."

It makes it sound like Royston Vasey 😀

The League of Brexit Gentlemen: 'Edward looks like Michael Gove, it's eerie'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

If you ever catch me actually going to Trago Mills, you have my permission to shoot me

I've embarrassed myself there,  I thought it was a place in Wales and searched google maps for it.(I left UK in 2000 so I have never seen a Trago Mills in my life).

@bicksterWhats the clubcard scheme like there ?

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I've embarrassed myself there,  I thought it was a place in Wales and searched google maps for it.(I left UK in 2000 so I have never seen a Trago Mills in my life).

I've lived in the UK all of my life and I've never heard of it :)

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Because of your post I've just discovered that there's more than one

I've also discovered that someone spent £65mil to open a big shop full of shite in Merthyr Tydfil

You could probably have bought every house in the town for that

• Haha 2

Kind of in place but not in this way. That was about all travel to an area wherever one was coming from, wasn't it? I.e. travel beyond x miles was not permitted unless someone had a reasonable excuse. So the same thing as applies in the local lockdown areas now. This is about applying it in areas where there aren't local lockdowns.

I do get your point about the inconsistencies between what would apply to you and to Bicks but at the same time, other than random car stops, it's a difficult thing to police in areas where there aren't already local lockdown restrictions that are over and above the basic countrywide ones.

If you are in a high or very high tier area, you can’t travel to Wales for a bit of shopping or a holiday.

If you are from a medium tier area, you can’t travel to lockdown areas of Wales for a bit of shopping or a holiday.

If you live in a locked down area of Wales, you can’t leave your county for a bit of shopping or a holiday.

if you don’t know where you live, or don’t know where you are going, or you can’t conceive of any way you could look up the rules, probably best to stay home.

I think that's far from helpful. 'On the lookout for people who shouldn't be in those areas' - it doesn't conjure up a great picture.

If a family from Manchester or Wrexham decide to rent an air bnb on the Island and I know about it, I’ll be ratting them up because they are selfish scum. 

Just like I would if they were doing anything else that could kill my parents or close down my mate’s business. Should I not?

Â