Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder for how much longer people can really expect people who are at very low risk to put their life on hold. It's not just making sacrifices now, it's risking their future prosperity. I'm all for locking down the vulnerable rather than everyone else. 

The second "once in a lifetime" recession some of us have lived through, except this time, it's one enforced on the young, to protect pensioners (ok, there are other vulnerable people, but the pensioners are the vast majority) who have already taken their fair share. I can see why students and other young professionals who enter the working world with tens of thousands of debt to pay off, slim chances of getting a house, depressed wages, and a state pension that they know will be taken away well before they get there would stop giving much of a **** about this when they've already sacrificed 7 months of their life to protect the old. When they do enter the working world, they're going to do so in an economy that's been spitroasted by a year of severe economic harm by Covid, and with Brexit in full swing. 

I don't want to endanger the lives of everyone's nan, but maybe they could stay home instead of everyone else. 

And again. An effective vaccine is far from certain. How much longer can we go on like this? 

Off to room 101 for you!

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

A solution has to be found that involves everyone.

Your solution has you saying that it's okay to select a specific group in society on relatively arbitrary criteria (i.e. they are more vulnerable to death than other groups) and do whatever it takes to them so that eveyone else can just go around and act as normal.

The problem is that you cannot see just what you are advocating.

What measures are you wanting to see imposed on this group and what criteria are you setting out for who it affects?

Over 80? Over 70? Over 60? People with a BMI of over 40? People on the shielding list? All BAME people?

What should be done with them? Confine them to their homes? Make it a criminal offence for them to go outside?

Maybe we should just cull them?

Genuinely, it's probably one of the worst* posts that I have read on VT, ever.

*Worst as in utterly horrific.

Legal drinking age.

Legal age to join the military.

Legal age to own/have a licensed gun.

Legal age to drive a car.

Reality has given us a changed set of circumstances. Those most at risk have drawn a short straw and will have to change their lives more than the rest, but I guess you chose the vagina from whence you came and hence this is all so unfair.

Yes, it is unfair, but so are many things in life, e.g., the air *you* breath is in a relative sense very clean. Where did the electronic device you reply to this come from or the paint on your walls etc., etc., etc.

The hope is that a general effective treatment ala the flu vaccine will be available within a few years. It may be shite, but we can deal with reality or continue to have nonsense fights about masks etc.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

If a family from Manchester or Wrexham decide to rent an air bnb on the Island and I know about it, I’ll be ratting them up because they are selfish scum.

It's not just about a family 'renting an air bnb', is it? It isn't just about people going on holiday, is it?

It may be people visiting friends and family. It may be someone working in the area temporarily. It may be someone who has moved to the area.

Wales isn't some faraway land. Not everyone who lives in Wales has a welsh accent and goes in for a bit of close harmony singing.

People do not walk around with an obvious and certain way of other individuals knowing where they normally reside.

Edit: For a concrete example of something other than 'for a holiday or a bit of shopping', an old schoolfriend of mine lives in Surrey (but for the sake of the logistics it could be Manchester) and he has had to go and stay for periods in the last few months in Pembrokeshire to look after his elderly parents who aren't well enough to look after themselves at times.

Edited by snowychap

54 minutes ago, villakram said:

Legal drinking age.

Reality has given us a changed set of circumstances. Those most at risk have drawn a short straw and will have to change their lives more than the rest, but I guess you chose the vagina from whence you came and hence this is all so unfair.

Yes, it is unfair, but so are many things in life, e.g., the air *you* breath is in a relative sense very clean. Where did the electronic device you reply to this come from or the paint on your walls etc., etc., etc.

The hope is that a general effective treatment ala the flu vaccine will be available within a few years. It may be shite, but we can deal with reality or continue to have nonsense fights about masks etc.

hugh laurie facepalm GIF

Really, wtaf have I just read? :o

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's not just about a family 'renting an air bnb', is it? It isn't just about people going on holiday, is it?

It may be people visiting friends and family. It may be someone working in the area temporarily. It may be someone who has moved to the area.

Wales isn't some faraway land. Not everyone who lives in Wales has a welsh accent and goes in for a bit of close harmony singing.

People do not walk around with an obvious and certain way of other individuals knowing where they normally reside.

Edit: For a concrete example of something other than 'for a holiday or a bit of shopping', an old schoolfriend of mine lives in Surrey (but for the sake of the logistics it could be Manchester) and he has had to go and stay for periods in the last few months in Pembrokeshire to look after his elderly parents who aren't well enough to look after themselves at times.

Cos you appear to be trying to trigger me in some way I’ll park it up for the evening.

Otherwise it will get silly.

Can you maybe pop me on ignore for 24 hours?

Or just keep responses nice n chill?

Either way, enjoy your evening.

Now, I’m off to listen to music.

• Like 1

Grauniad live page:

In Bulgaria, Roma communities were sprayed with disinfectant from crop dusters this spring as coronavirus cases surged in the country. In Slovakia, their villages were the only ones where the army conducted testing. And across Central and Eastern Europe, reports of police using excessive force against Roma spiked as officers were deployed to enforce lockdowns in their towns.

Human rights activists and experts say local officials in several countries with significant Roma populations have used the pandemic to unlawfully target the minority group, which is Europe’s largest and has faced centuries of severe discrimination. With Covid-19 cases now resurging across the continent, some experts fear the repression will return, too, say the AP news agency.

...more

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

London going to tier 2 from midnight Friday it seems.. 

what’s the main difference between 1 & 2? It seems like you can’t mix with other households unless it’s in a pub.

14 hours ago, villakram said:

Legal drinking age.

Yes, there are numerous examples of people being treated differently based on age. Older people are eligible for anti-flu jabs, and will certainly be prioritised for an eventual corollafungus jab - they are protected first.

I'm with @snowychap in terms of being absolutely against the idea of legally selecting one group of society for stricter conditions - "you may go out, but you've got to stay at home" or whatever - that's plain wrong. But we're already in the situation where different parts of the country and are under different legal restrictions, people with different occupations and businesses likewise, and that's realistically appropriate.

It needs the track and trace to work properly and effectively so we know where the fungus is, and then those places can adopt the right measures, including shielding those at risk,  or be left alone to crack on with a version of normality if there's little or no fungus in that area.

• Like 1

I think it’s all going to depend whether we have an effective vaccine in the next few months or not.

If a vaccine is on its way soon, then we are in a holding pattern waiting for it and that seems right to do.

If all the current research turns out to have no end product or is still years away, then we will have to go back to some sort of normality, including more deaths of older/BAME/ill-health people.  

Continuing lockdowns till say 2025 might end up causing more deaths from economic factors than Covid will 🤷‍♂️

Of course a fully functioning track-and-trace system would be best of both worlds, especially as we are a smallish island that could track the virus more easily than most of Europe/USA/Asia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

London going to tier 2 from midnight Friday it seems.. 

Given it seems to have done nothing in Manchester, why are they expecting the results in London to be any different?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Given it seems to have done nothing in Manchester, why are they expecting the results in London to be any different?

The whole thing sums up Boris and co. Wait for the numbers to rise, which they will and then react with half hearted measures that will do very little if anything.

The opposite of the scientific advice to do a short, sharp, deep measure whilst the numbers were relatively low.

52 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Not completely disagreeing with the point you're making, but they gave up in Manchester after *two whole days*. Hard to see how they can possibly have made any sort of informed decision about whether it was working in that time frame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not completely disagreeing with the point you're making, but they gave up in Manchester after *two whole days*. Hard to see how they can possibly have made any sort of informed decision about whether it was working in that time frame.

Fair point. But in which case they deserve criticism for that instead!

Â