Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Students partying in the street on the last night before lockdown?  shock horror.

I'm sure we'd have all been doing something like that if we were at uni aged 18.    

I'm actually surprised how restrained students/older teens have been over the past 6 months!

Yeah, just a bit of harmless partying in the street :lol: 

Didn't someone also point out that this was 300 students in the street from a student population in the city of 60,000.

edit - this quote:

Richard Kemp, leader of the city's Liberal Democrat group, warned against scapegoating Liverpool's young people for something involving "at most 300" people.  "What they did was wrong and they should be ashamed of their behaviour," he said.

"However, we have 60,000 students in our city and a very large number of our resident population under 25.

"This means that 99.99% of the city's young people behaved themselves last night and should be congratulated for their restraint."

Edited by ender4

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

This means that 99.99% of the city's young people behaved themselves last night and should be congratulated for their restraint."

I do find that hilarious if I’m honest. Well done on not being a clearing in the woods. 3 cheers for the non-clearings in the woods! 

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

What law were the students breaking last night?

Everyone should just chill out.

Whats 3,000 cases in a week for 1 city, 95% of the critical care beds full and 30 people dead?

They're just kids having a bit of harmless fun. The world has gone mad. 

Those likely to get sick from covid must alter their behavior because I am afraid and emotionally evaluating risk.

All cause mortality for covid for under 40s is negligible when compared to other everyday common risks.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Whats 3,000 cases in a week for 1 city, 95% of the critical care beds full and 30 people dead?

It was a genuine question. No doubt their idea of what's safe and responsible isn't the same as mine but unless there's a law being broken, no-one's technically doing anything wrong.

I think the latest laws are going into effect today? I'm not sure of that one though.

• Like 1

I’m struggling to see how people can tell if someone is in University? What am I missing here?

I find it quite troubling how quickly people attach a label and demand punishments for a whole umbrella group of people.

The majority of offenders, as far as I can see from social media, are white english blokes. Perhaps that’s a demographic we should beast?

Keep the young white english males under strict control, see if the figures drop. If they do, point proven.

When COVID-19 superspreaders are talking, where you sit in the room matters

•  

To understand how the coronavirus can spread, we injected aerosol particles similar in size to those from humans into a room and then monitored them with sensors. We used a 30-foot by 26-foot university classroom designed to accommodate 30 students that had a ventilation system that met the recommended standards.

When we released particles at the front of the classroom, they reached all the way to the back of the room within 10 to 15 minutes. However, because of active ventilation in the room, the concentrations at the back, about 20 feet from the source, were about one-tenth of the concentrations close to the source.

That suggests that with appropriate ventilation, the highest risk for getting COVID-19 could be limited to a small number of people near the infected speaker. As the time spent indoors with an infected speaker increases, however, risk extends to the entire room, even if ventilation is good.

https://theconversation.com/when-covid-19-superspreaders-are-talking-where-you-sit-in-the-room-matters-145966?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

CDC finally acknowledges the aerosol risk

In the past, the transmission of respiratory diseases has focused on the role of larger particles that are generated when we sneeze and cough. These droplets fall quickly to the ground, and social distancing and mask wearing can largely prevent infection from them.

The bigger concern now is the role of tiny particles known as aerosols that are generated when we talk, sing or even just breathe. These particles, often smaller than 5 micrometers, can escape from cloth face masks and linger in air for up to about 12 hours. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention finally acknowledged that risk on Oct. 5 after Trump was hospitalized and several other people in or close to the administration tested positive for COVID-19.

While these smaller particles, on average, carry less virus than larger particles that people emit when they cough or sneeze, the high infectivity of SARS-CoV-2 combined with the high viral load before symptoms appear makes these particles important for airborne disease transmission. 

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don't think anyone is saying that the students should have been partying like that in the street.

We are just pointing out that 18 year old kids are going to be involved in more riskier behaviour, some of them will be away from their parents for the first time in their lives, they are fed up with 6 months of restrictions, they know it doesn't affect them directly, yet the greatest social impact of the virus has been on 17-19 year olds (not health impact)...

So whilst i would disapprove of their behaviour, i just find it understandable... and i wonder what i would have done if i had just gone to uni as an 18 year old and after paying £9k fees for sitting in my halls for weeks on end and then finding out that all pubs are shutting tomorrow... would i not have gone out and had a 'blow-out'?

Its not harmless fun.  Its harmful fun.  Yet it is going to happen. and i fully understand why.

• Like 4

Wales to ban travel from UK Covid hotspots

People from parts of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland that have high rates of coronavirus will be banned from travelling to Wales from Friday.

Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford said the move was needed "to prevent the spread of infection within Wales" and elsewhere in the UK.

...more

Are they going to reman all of the castles? :D

• Haha 1

I wonder for how much longer people can really expect people who are at very low risk to put their life on hold. It's not just making sacrifices now, it's risking their future prosperity. I'm all for locking down the vulnerable rather than everyone else. 

The second "once in a lifetime" recession some of us have lived through, except this time, it's one enforced on the young, to protect pensioners (ok, there are other vulnerable people, but the pensioners are the vast majority) who have already taken their fair share. I can see why students and other young professionals who enter the working world with tens of thousands of debt to pay off, slim chances of getting a house, depressed wages, and a state pension that they know will be taken away well before they get there would stop giving much of a **** about this when they've already sacrificed 7 months of their life to protect the old. When they do enter the working world, they're going to do so in an economy that's been spitroasted by a year of severe economic harm by Covid, and with Brexit in full swing. 

I don't want to endanger the lives of everyone's nan, but maybe they could stay home instead of everyone else. 

And again. An effective vaccine is far from certain. How much longer can we go on like this? 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Most Corrupt Government Ever?.. 

All due respect, and I turned off immediately due to this, the fella doing that video is an absolute batshit mentalist. I will dip back in for the message but politely speaking, he is a word removed. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Its proven its far less likely to spread outdoors anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder for how much longer people can really expect people who are at very low risk to put their life on hold. It's not just making sacrifices now, it's risking their future prosperity. I'm all for locking down the vulnerable rather than everyone else. 

The second "once in a lifetime" recession some of us have lived through, except this time, it's one enforced on the young, to protect pensioners (ok, there are other vulnerable people, but the pensioners are the vast majority) who have already taken their fair share. I can see why students and other young professionals who enter the working world with tens of thousands of debt to pay off, slim chances of getting a house, depressed wages, and a state pension that they know will be taken away well before they get there would stop giving much of a **** about this when they've already sacrificed 7 months of their life to protect the old. When they do enter the working world, they're going to do so in an economy that's been spitroasted by a year of severe economic harm by Covid, and with Brexit in full swing. 

I don't want to endanger the lives of everyone's nan, but maybe they could stay home instead of everyone else. 

And again. An effective vaccine is far from certain. How much longer can we go on like this? 

Don't disagree with you as long as the young stay away from the old its not a problem however that cannot be happening else why is there such an increase in hospital admissions everyday. Nearly 700 today alone. 

Â