• El Ghazi
    • Grealish
    • Vassilev( Trézéguet 67)
    • Luiz (Drinkwater 68)
    • Hourihane (Nakamba 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/01/20 at 19:30

22 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Okay point. Hause needs replacing with Engels, and the entire team should take tackling lessons from Guilbert.

from somebody.

how do we win the ball, wait for the opposition to make a mistake....its pants.

We need a proper ball winner/DM.....one that does what it says on the tin.

Edited by TRO

We still need to beat Watford, I don't care what kind of form they're in, if we keep making excuses for every opponent we face then we're just going to sleepwalk into relegation. Tuesdays game is a must win.

• Like 4

Totally agree with @Herman22 and @kidlewis that the Watford game is a 6 pointer.

At this stage of the season is definitely is. Win and we keep them in the mix and go above them, gives the team and fans a massive lift and confidence boost.

I think we would have won today had we had a striker. It changes the dynamics of the game.

Hopefully we will have one in place for Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hmmmn.

I want to see a more determined, deliberate Dean emerge from this run as opposed to the affable, everybody's friend, nervous laughing  version.

He needs to toughen up IMO

Judging by his face on the line today, he is well stressed! 

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

We still need to beat Watford, I don't care what kind of form they're in, if we keep making excuses for every opponent we face then we're just going to sleepwalk into relegation. Tuesdays game is a must win.

Hopefully they might start to be running out of steam from the Pearson bounce. They barely change their starting 11 either. We had a good rest in the 1st half today too.

Dog shit first half, a much better second.

Grealish is class, we’re nothing without him, what a goal!
I don’t want to see Drinkwater playing for us again., Vassilev impressed me when he came on, I’d like to see him start the next game instead of Trez, who is also piss poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

Totally agree with @Herman22 and @kidlewis that the Watford game is a 6 pointer.

At this stage of the season is definitely is. Win and we keep them in the mix and go above them, gives the team and fans a massive lift and confidence boost.

I think we would have won today had we had a striker. It changes the dynamics of the game.

We really need to get VP rocking Tuesday.. It is a huge game and could be a turning point. Troy Deeney’s mere presence will be enough to rouse the Holte End.

• Like 2

Thought trez played ok attacking wise, he was a liability chasing or tracking back mind.

Konsa when he attacks rather than backs off isnt too bad, same with hause, give them time and they start falling apart.

Fred, fred, fred, fred. If we had 3 more players with the intensity and desire to get the ball then we would be mid table, good show young man.

Mings decided having held all game to attack the loose ball a few times and they backed off him, dont think he has fully recovered from his injury but the couple determined challenges shook Brighton.

Target improved 2nd half but was drifting too much

Makamba may statistically win 'tackles' the majority I would not call tackles when the ball bumps off their player into him straight back to their players. Slightly improved before he went off but good god was not what was required.

Louiz nope, I watched his movement when he came on, almost statuesque when we dont have the ball, they played through him 4 or 5 times and he just stood there, no chasing no challenge just nothing. Any CM should have the energy and will to win the ball or at least track the player. Good pass for the goal but that apart, again sadly not good enough for me. Looks to support the attack and then refuses to track back, like hes too valuable to have to help when the ball has gone.

El ghazi, well done, clearly seeing fred has got him chasing, knowing fred behind him will also chase. Decent game, some good skill and link up with frederique.

Jack, match winner or drawer in this case, starting to remind me a bit of Ronaldo the winker not the fat one. Started to win headers get a little stuck in, take players on and seems to have developed speed wise. Mom 

Hause must be the luckiest or worst passer ever. Until around 70th minute most his passes to brighton. He improved and at least tries to tackle or head the ball. Just please god change your boots for ones that you can pass the ball to a villa player please.

Reina was decent, thought he could have done better with their goal and another shakey moment but he produced a point saving save from maupay

CH didn't do much but took one for the team by dragging their player back when they broke.

Indiana, hmm, he is 18 and probably wouldnt get on in the championship so expecting big things from him in the premier league with a below average team is too much. He ran around, harried them and tried to get stuck in, something some of our players could look at.

We look half decent when most of our players challenge for the ball, we look dog shit when we stand off and are passive.

I can only guess but I bet fred did more tackles today then the entire team in our last game.

A valuable point, but both teams were pretty shit. Smith needs to keep Drinkwater away from the squad untill he is actually ready, if he ever is. He is a liability at this point.

If Luiz had started I think we would have put up a better show. And well done to young Vasseliv. If we do not have a striker signed before Watford we should play him. He gives the team some balance.

Some of these decisions do make me wonder if Smith and his team are watching the same game as me..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Stole a point.

Grealish goal excellent but performance stifled by Smith's tactics. Reina great save towards end. Drinkwater is awful, Nakamba is awful, Hause is awful, Konsa is mostly awful. All the rest, bar Mings, are players you'd be happy were squad players. We're effectively playing a reserve Premier League team against true first XIs every week, but held down by some really awful players on top of that.

The quality isn't there. Unless there's a miracle in next two weeks in transfer window, we're going down.

And I don't think Smith knows what to do at the moment. His indecisiveness is reflecting in our performances. Too many formations, too many changes, too few reactions to what's happening on the pitch.

It was a deserved point. Brighton didn’t do enough for a win and we were the better team second half. 

• Like 2

Maupay is a horrible short arse little bitch. I'm glad we didn't sign him.

Point hard earned and deserved. We're not very good but we might be good enough to survive if we get a few decent players.

Maybe better in the Dean Smith thread.  But there are two main theories to promote excellence in adults.  One is to yell, intimidate and bully.  This one had been the leading model throughout the 1900's.   The other, more modern theory, is to empower adults to see for themselves what they can do better and learn to motivate themselves to accomplish more.  Dean came in clearly espousing and teaching the latter, more modern theory.  The research is clear.  The more modern approach is drastically and completely more effective on two conditions.

1) the adult learner/player must be highly self-motivated to excel, and know they have room to grow.  If the adult thinks they have already arrived, the modern approach does nothing.

2) the adult must have access to the right information and direction to aim them to improve in the right areas.  (good mentorship/coaching)

My fear is that too many of our players feel that playing in the Premier League for a big club means they have made it.  so the modern approach fails on the first condition.  I don't want to return to the young and hungry strategy, but the hungry to improve, to strive, to accomplish more, to excel, is essential.  I think we have too many who think they are doing pretty damn good for themselves right now. 

I can't see player contracts or anything, but I would encourage the club to stick with Dean and the modern approach to excellence (the research is clear that it works better) but to shift player contracts to incentive based.  cash bonus for wins.  cash for pass percentage.  cash for goals.  cash for assists.  cash for blocks.  cash for GK catches, saves, clearances, set the salaries lower with multiple performance bonuses.  this will increase the chance that no one is completely satisfied with themselves, but all are hungry to do better, to improve.  (the trick is to set the right bonus, if goals earn much more than assists, players get selfish and fire at will rather than passing to the open man.)

The old school - the way all my coaches operated - was yell, intimidate and bully.  I think Dean is showing remarkable patience with some consistent underperformance.  If the players are self-motivated the long term result will be brilliant.  But that's an "if" DS has very little control over if he wants to stay consistent with the modern approach to improved performance.

I know, I suggested a different recovery when Bruce was in charge, but Bruce was much more an old school theory and approach.  The manager needs to follow the strategy he believes in, and has worked for him before.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Hause must be the luckiest or worst passer ever. Until around 70th minute most his passes to brighton. He improved and at least tries to tackle or head the ball. Just please god change your boots for ones that you can pass the ball to a villa player please.

Weird. He made most passes of any Villa player and 2nd best % with 46 of 53 accurate 86.8%

17 minutes ago, imavillan said:

even if it's Indiana.

• Like 1

Just as bad as we have ever been in the first half, it was totally clueless. Not only were we reeling from the 6-1 drubbing last week and the 3-0 the week before, clearly the confidence and nerve was a factor, but the formation looked a complete FAIL, it was desperate.

Luiz and a CF showed us there is hope, much netter and more fluid. Reina looks a decent addition, reassuring to have him there.

Surely the only way is now up? Any draw away is good as we are probably one of the worst teams in the division, yes we need more but we have to start somewhere and one point is better than none.

Looks like Bournmouth has big problems, and Norwich look gone barring a miracle. Looking above us, if we can shape up and get some points we could scrape this. A lot rests on the January signings and it gelling, but Dribkwater looks a step backwards to me, for me Luiz gets in ahead of him. Problem is he needs game time to lose the rustiness but we can't afford that. I hope Dean isn't too stubborn.

I also hope Dean starts learning from his mistakes, he nullified our only weapon today (almost).

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Surprised by some of the negative posts out there ...... thought we were brilliant today !

We had to stop Brighton playing and we did just that. Our intensity and workrate was top drawer and they simply couldn't deal with it. We shut them up for 60 minutes and then went for it and could easily have won that one.

Tactically brilliant from Smith and the first full 90 minute quality performance from Villa this season.

I should introduce you to screwdriver. You’d get on like a house on fire. 

• Haha 1

Â