• El Ghazi
    • Grealish
    • Vassilev( Trézéguet 67)
    • Luiz (Drinkwater 68)
    • Hourihane (Nakamba 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/01/20 at 19:30

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We've got something out of that through effort and application in the second half - fair play to them - the first half was abysmal and we're a complete mess tactically, none of these players have played without a striker and none of them quite look like they know how to, I'm not going to hammer them for their individual efforts, they're all trying to do something they've never done and should never have to.

The players we have are good enough to keep us up; the players we haven't got leave a big enough hole to send us down.

I thought our fans were superb and I hope Maupay gets run over in the car park, he's a horrible little man.

Effort and application....just cannot be taken for granted.

Good second half reaction that takes character as well as tech ability from Jack and duggie.

2 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Judging by his face on the line today, he is well stressed! 

I don't want him to be stressed.....stress is negative.

I want him to look like Frank after Brucie mugged him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

To save Smith’s face at this point. Drinkwater’s picking up 55k a week from our wage bill, bit embarrassing to admit they’ve signed a knacker to replace McGinn!

I think the chelsea fans saying "good riddance" was a hint.

we may have another pig in a poke.....glad its just a loan.

However, a bit soon to judge.

58 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the chelsea fans saying "good riddance" was a hint.

we may have another pig in a poke.....glad its just a loan.

However, a bit soon to judge.

Very much so, he'll have to go some to justify getting a move t the end of the season and unless he puts in a string of world class performances (he won't) there's no way the new regime here will pay him what he's on to come to us. So best case is he gets up to speed quickly and picks up his game enough to improve our midfield. If not, we took a punt and it didn't work. Not Nzogbia/Richardson levels of **** by a long chalk. 

Great point today. Keep picking up points on the road and win 4 or 5 at home and we're nearly over the line. Hate reading all the Smith out bollocks, give your heads a wobble, some saying stuff like Smith's training and tactics are holding this lot back. Utter rubbish. They are very low on confidence as a group because they get turned over a lot. Smith, O'Kelly and Terry are doing a good job so far in my eyes. Looks like the owners know Smith needs some reinforcements and hopefully Suso can get in what the coaching team need to make a good fist of it from now till the end of the season.

Keep the faith.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, useless said:

We still need to beat Watford, I don't care what kind of form they're in, if we keep making excuses for every opponent we face then we're just going to sleepwalk into relegation. Tuesdays game is a must win.

1 loss in 8 games and that was 2-0 away to Liverpool. Probably 2nd best in for team in the league at the moment

Back from the game and feeling positive after the second half performance. First half was poor but with the exception of a Hause mistake we could’ve gone in at half time on level terms.

Re Drinkwater he’s off the pace at the moment but there’s a player in there and more minutes on the pitch will benefit him. Mings was back to his best and Fred was also very good. Thought both Trez and El Ghazi put a shift in as well.

Targett was poor - he’s ok going forward but dreadful defensively - lost count how many times both him and Hause either gave the ball away or put the ball out. 

Jack was as usual magnificent - a joy to watch.

Roll on Tuesday....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

1 loss in 8 games and that was 2-0 away to Liverpool. Probably 2nd best in for team in the league at the moment

Yup, since the liverpool loss they have only conceded 2 goals in 6 games, winning 4 (utd, us, wolves, Bournemouth) & drawing 2 (sheff utd, spurs). Only Liverpool have taken more points in that time.

It has only been 3 weeks since they tore us apart despite having 10 men for well over half an hour BUT we will have almost a completely different starting 11 this time though as only 4 of the 11 are likely to start (Hause, Konsa, Targett &Grealish, 5 if Luiz does) and the formation will/should also be different so who knows what will happen other than if we play like we did in the first half today they will hammer us again.

• Like 1

So I made comment that we should expect to beat Brighton a team a couple of points above us in the league and I got quite a slating for it. I went the other week against Man City I didn’t expect us to win that one but went any way. I don’t expect us to beat Watford they play with passion, but I will go anyway, I certainly do not expect us to beat Leicester but will go anyway.

Passion : I reminisce to the days standing on Witton bank before the stand was built and clearing the snow away so my feet didn’t get cold, walking 10 miles to go and watch a night match as I couldn’t get a lift all the way. I recall the team of 81/82 who did not have a single international player in the side They expected to win everything and ran their legs off chasing every second ball. It’s called passion 

If ALL this team, coaches and manager had half the passion that I and the team of 82 had for Aston Villa they would expect to beat Brighton too. 

Expect to beat Brighton too bloody right I do

Edited by Robtaylor200

5 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

So I made comment that we should expect to beat Brighton a team a couple of points above us in the league and I got quite a slating for it. I went the other week against Man City I didn’t expect us to win that one but went any way. I don’t expect us to beat Watford they play with passion, but I will go anyway, I certainly do not expect us to beat Leicester but will go anyway.

Passion : I reminisce to the days standing on Witton bank before the stand was built and clearing the snow away so my feet didn’t get cold, walking 10 miles to go and watch a night match as I couldn’t get a lift all the way. I recall the team of 81/82 who did not have a single international player in the side They expected to win everything and ran their legs off chasing every second ball. It’s called passion 

If ALL this team, coaches and manager had half the passion that I and the team of 82 had for Aston Villa they would expect to beat Brighton too. 

Expect to beat Brighton too bloody right I do

Rob, I disagreed with a post that we should have expected to beat Brighton.  I'm honestly not certain it was your post I responded to.  If it was, I apologize that it caused you to feel "slated."  That was not my intention.

The best side I ever played on was in college/university.  I played with the passion and determination you describe.  But I would not expect us to beat Liverpool, or even Aston Villa, or Brighton, or any side currently in the championship.  Our AM was a German about 35 pounds overweight but could spray passes directly into the stride of any teammate.  I was left midfield and had good vision and awareness, and passion, but pathetic ball skills.  I had literally never kicked a ball before.

I fully agree with you that passion and determination are essential and needed.  No-one does their best unless they are self motivated to excel, and willing to strive ferociously to do so.  I fully agree that Aston Villa currently needs more of that. (I said as much in a later post).

I just don't think passion and determination are the same as expectation.  Most commentators predicted a Brighton win.  Most bookies did.  Based on the odds, most bettors did.  Most VT posters in the pre-match thread did.   They made this decision taking all things into consideration, not just passion, determination, fight, and grit.  

Anyway, I think we are simply using the word  "expectation" in a different sense.  I did not intend to "slate" your passion and apologize if mine was a post you referenced.  

• Thanks 1

We could have taken 3 points here if we had shown the same aggression in the first half as we did in the second.

We really need to 'toughen up' and play the full 90 mins with application, a fighting mentality and a will to win! I'm not sure we have the players or the fitness to do this at present.  Nzonzi would be perfect as A DM in this team imo.

Show some bottle for the final 15 games and we have a chance of survival.

Brighton fan here.

Wow, pretty woeful game from us. Grealish is easily your standout player and is so dangerous going forward, be surprised if a top-six club doesn't go in for him soon.

I was happy with a point after that belting goal but I'm worried we might slip into that relegation zone if we lose on Tuesday.

Do you think you can get past Watford?

Â