Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think he's a good player.

I agree with you, he has good movement and is strong in the air. When he first arrived, he looked great but then suffered a dip in form and seems to have been written off by some, not me

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Does scream panic buy for the sake of it and be lucky to get half what we paid for him in the summer. He is utterly shocking ! 

But we were in panic mode because of our atrocious plan in the summer. 

We played multiple games with el ghazi as our striker. We were desperate and this is the sort of player desperate teams end up with. 

10 hours ago, KMitch said:

His movement and his touch are awful.  Hides behind defenders and doesn't even seem like he wants the ball.  

To be fair when he first came in we were pretty much saying the OPPOSITE of this, this is what we were praising him for, as well as his leap and willingness to throw his head in.

So he isn't a bad player, but something is definitely off, whether it's personal life, total lack of confidence etc or something else, but he has looked totally out of it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Just not cutting it is he, looks as though hes not enjoying english football but I'm not him so who knows.

Would sell all our three Wingers and three strikers  if we go down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I actually thought he was terrific tonight.  Pressed and pressed, won headers, won tackles.  I know he was probably spent but was sad to see him going off

Yep, good performance. Dragged the defenders around a bit and that weird partnership with McGinn worked okay considering how random it was.

• Like 1

A lot of us (myself included) called for Davis to start to bully their defence, but the alternative approach of having Samatta use his pace to press them worked too. 

He’s still clearly lacking in confidence in my opinion, but a workhorse upfront will always give you something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I agree he did well tonight, his best performance since the restart.

Agreed, good performance tonight after being very poor lately. There is something there, we saw that when he signed. Hopefully a close season and a slightly more normal routine (not as locked down) and he’ll start to settle more. Don’t think he’s good enough to be first choice in the Premier League but happy for him to have more than half a season to see what he can do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Definitely has ability. He has shown that in the champions League. But as other posters have said that we need more of the ball for him to be really effective.

I think we play it out to wide to much for him to really get the ball before he hits edge of box, we dont service him much and when we do it's when hes under threat.

That said do also think that he doesnt press enough up front, did do first half but played backing second. Didnt try to catch many players out coming behind them by getting stuck in, it's as if hes afraid to try get the ball, which if he did could cause some stops in play up front for us as long ashes smart about.

Dont know if he has what it takes in this tough league, need Tammy presence up front, that's what were missing.

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think we play it out to wide to much for him to really get the ball before he hits edge of box, we dont service him much and when we do it's when hes under threat.

That said do also think that he doesnt press enough up front, did do first half but played backing second. Didnt try to catch many players out coming behind them by getting stuck in, it's as if hes afraid to try get the ball, which if he did could cause some stops in play up front for us as long ashes smart about.

Dont know if he has what it takes in this tough league, need Tammy presence up front, that's what were missing.

With a decent preseason I think he has the ability to adapt to either league. He definitely has intelligence though but like with most African players they struggle with the pace of the premier League initially. As Jordan Ayew and Gana said to me all those years ago.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

Wouldn't be sad to see him depart if/when he leaves us.

I don't think he will make it at this level as a top striker and was missing for much of the game last night I felt and I'm still not convinced by him in all honesty.

Right now, we need goals - not headless chickens.

Currently the third worst center forward in terms of the minute per goal ratio over any PL striker who has at least scored a goal. The 2 worse being Mcgoldrick and Joelintion, but at least those 2 contribute more to buildup play than Samatta usually does.

I'm almost completely consigned to him being a lost cause. His stats are worse than Wesley's in almost every regard and I already thought Wesley was underperforming as a striker.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

At the moment, we know we lack quality so work rate gets a pass from me. He worked really hard last night. I hope like trezeguet he gets something pay off because of it. 

What ever happens I think I'd look to move him on. I think this is one that costs us as in he probably goes on loans until his contract runs out.

Â