Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

1 minute ago, Villa94 said:

maybe........im wondering what whoever was scouting him actually saw that made them think he was the guy we needed..............surely not one header against liverpool ???

He was the only available striker around within our budget. We wouldn't have signed him if Wesley stayed fit 

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

Why?? For not pretending all is rosie in the garden? Calling out a player for being poor is allowed. 

Man United 2nd goal v us, yes was Mings error but that only comes about because the ball comes into the box and Samatta bumbles around with it in the first place. Poor player who we have carried.

because he's only just joined from a foreign league and then thrown straight into a poor team that dont create many chances and then thrown in a pandemic lockdown.  The bloke's feet have only just touched the ground and you are swiping his legs away already.  Yes we needed a settled scoring striker from the start but that isnt his fault.  Is he poor in one game? yes, maybe but is he poor overall? we are yet to know because it's far too early.  Douglas Luiz got a lot of criticism early on but now since the restart he's been superb now after settling and people are worried he's leaving yet  six months ago very few would have been bothered.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

because he's only just joined from a foreign league and then thrown straight into a poor team that dont create many chances and then thrown in a pandemic lockdown.  The bloke's feet have only just touched the ground and you are swiping his legs away already.  Yes we needed a settled scoring striker from the start but that isnt his fault.  Is he poor in one game? yes, maybe but is he poor overall? we are yet to know because it's far too early.  Douglas Luiz got a lot of criticism early on but now since the restart he's been superb now after settling and people are worried he's leaving yet  six months ago very few would have been bothered.

Agree to an extent, but how long do you give him? He's had opportunities since the lockdown, if he wasn't 'up for it' as you say then he should have been benched and introduced slowly back into it.

These **** footballers get paid stupid amounts of money and we're creating excuses for them finding their feet in this country/league. Do me a favour.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

In no way can you compare him to Douglas Luiz, even at the start of season it was very clear there was a footballer in him. 

Samatta job is to score goals. I can only judge him on what I’ve seen.

constantly offside.

awful touch

poor runs

Heading ability bar LCF poor. Doesn’t impose himself on defenders.  Poor signing.

1 minute ago, MCU said:

Agree to an extent, but how long do you give him? He's had opportunities since the lockdown, if he wasn't 'up for it' as you say then he should have been benched and introduced slowly back into it.

These **** footballers get paid stupid amounts of money and we're creating excuses for them finding their feet in this country/league. Do me a favour.

Benched? for who?  Davis isnt good enough.....he played well against Sheff Utd and then when he came on yesterday but that's it.  It's not enough, he's not good enough and so we cant bench Samatta because there is nobody else.  We are still short of strikers, it's been obvious all season.  Why they brought in Baston I'll never know, go and loan a good striker whose sitting on a bench for a big team.  Yes his wages would be silly but it would've been only 6 months and that payment would be less the cost of relegation.

You cant talk about money though because football money is monopoly money anyway even for rubbish players for any team.  If you judge footballers based on how much they get paid compared to you and I then you are done for.  Having lived abroad myself, it does take time to get settled and we are talking minute differences in games for these guys that makes the difference in games.  As I said above look at the difference between Douglas Luiz now and at the beginning of the season.  We arent playing fantasy football, doesnt matter how much money you make, making sure a major change in your life to a harder job, foreign language and all that takes time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

In no way can you compare him to Douglas Luiz, even at the start of season it was very clear there was a footballer in him. 

Samatta job is to score goals. I can only judge him on what I’ve seen.

constantly offside.

awful touch

poor runs

Heading ability bar LCF poor. Doesn’t impose himself on defenders.  Poor signing.

Everything is great in hindsight isnt it.  Traits of Douglas Luiz was pointed at him for reasons why he was poor at the start of the season but everybody forgets that now he's playing well.  People suddenly remember they saw a footballer in Luiz even back then yet were probably criticising him then, I know this website were and even I was critical of him at times.  Suddenly now everybody forgets that, we always knew he was a talent.........just rosy hindsight memories. 

Whether Samatta becomes good over time is a different story, to criticise him now so much about him overall is silly.  Game by game, it's fine but to say he's a poor signing is just silly because he's barely been in the club and thrown head first into a poor team and a lockdown pandemic.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Everything is great in hindsight isnt it.  Traits of Douglas Luiz was pointed at him for reasons why he was poor at the start of the season but everybody forgets that now he's playing well.  People suddenly remember they saw a footballer in Luiz even back then yet were probably criticising him then, I know this website were and even I was critical of him at times.  Suddenly now everybody forgets that, we always knew he was a talent.........just rosy hindsight memories. 

Whether Samatta becomes good over time is a different story, to criticise him now so much about him overall is silly.  Game by game, it's fine but to say he's a poor signing is just silly because he's barely been in the club and thrown head first into a poor team and a lockdown pandemic.

We absolutely can say poor signing! He was bought to score goals and keep us up. He’s returned 1 goal and we are likely to go down. He hasn’t done the job asked of him. Poor signing. 

His job is to hold it up, make runs to stretch defences and occasionally get a shot on target. Davis shower him up on the first 2 within 5 minutes.

Two golden heading chances in the last two games which is supposedly his strength and didn’t trouble the keeper.

Harsh to judge him on two headers so it’s his general all round play that is pathetic, hard to blame that lack of quality on confidence or being new to the league.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

We absolutely can say poor signing! He was bought to score goals and keep us up. He’s returned 1 goal and we are likely to go down. He hasn’t done the job asked of him. Poor signing. 

Fair enough. 

Agree to disagree!

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He was the only available striker around within our budget. We wouldn't have signed him if Wesley stayed fit 

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been the only striker available. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been the only striker available. 

Only 5 strikers were signed by Pl teams in January and we got 2. Many other teams were looking as well including West Ham and couldn't get a striker

He has generally looked crap at this level but he does deserve more time and I think he’ll be good in the championship. I think as long as Wesley doesn’t take eons to get up to spreed after his injury they’ll make a good pair at that level. I think we can safely say that we’ll need something better if we come back up though.

We really need a versatile striker who can also do a good shift out wide given how bad our options are there.

That's why I was all for getting in Maupay, he can play wide in the 3 as he's done a few times for Brighton when they've started Connelly or Murray. Bowen was another obvious target but guess we didn't want to spend another 20m on a forward after the Wesley signing.

Just signing these strikers who can only play in the one fixed position is a bit odd, it was actually said when Samatta signed he could play wide if required but we haven't seen it.

Edit: Kodj sort of morphed into that last season but it was clear even in championship he was simply not the same player he was after the two bad injuries so silly to think he'd be any use in premier league.

Edited by VillaChris

his head is too big for his body and he constantly looks like he gonna topple over............. 

Also if he didn't play like he's got his left foot stuck in his right pocket he'd stand a chance

Â