Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

Maybe we should give him a chance? He came to the country, was immediately locked down due to a global pandemic and now he is expected to immediately hit the ground running in a team hopelessly flailing to stay up. 

I’ll be patient with him. Will be interesting to see what he does in the championship. 

I don't think it's fair we expect him to hit the ground running. We just expect a bit more. Because he's been terrible, especially since the restart. 

According to Wikipedia he's 27 and this is the list of teams he has played for before joining us:

Simba SC
TP Mazembe
Genk

If he was any use he wouldn't have been playing at that level for so long. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

According to Wikipedia he's 27 and this is the list of teams he has played for before joining us:

Simba SC
TP Mazembe
Genk

If he was any use he wouldn't have been playing at that level for so long. 

Have to agree he's dog shit, I thought Wes was bad but this guy is worse. Not even sure he'll cut it in the Championship maybe on the bench.

His Genk show reel is pretty good. He might be struggling with adapting/getting up to speed. Benteke was strong and physical and made for the Prem when he came (Benteke being a good comparison as they came from the same team). Samatta is a different kind of player entirely. I've never been impressed tbh, but giving him a positive spin and a chance in the future. I would 100% play Davis ahead of him against Everton/Arsenal/West Ham though.

14 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Have to agree he's dog shit, I thought Wes was bad but this guy is worse. Not even sure he'll cut it in the Championship maybe on the bench.

Nah, he's better than Wes.

Early on he looked great. Makes good decisions a lot of the time. He's been sapped of confidence and is really struggling with the physical side of things.

• Like 1

I think Wes I'd better and think there was alot to Wesley's Wesley's gameplay that made a huge difference for us on the field.

16 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Samatta would bang them in at that level. Ally was scoring in the Champions League in the last twelve months, it’s a different world but I’d say in the Championship we could be looking at maybe 15-20 a season.

For comparison do you reckon James Collins (the striker, not the ginger defender) or Daniel Johnson, who are banging in a very decent 10-15ish Championship goals with Luton and Preston, could slot into a CL team?! Not a chance. IMHO you’re being much too harsh on a fairly new signing.

• Like 1

I think he’s shown some quality, he’s very brave and strong in the air, to coin a phrase he’ll put his head in where others wouldn’t put their feet. He has pedigree, he’s scored in the Champions League against Liverpool and we only paid a reported £8.5m for him, some posters seem to not rate him, I’m not one of them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enda said:

Samatta would bang them in at that level. Ally was scoring in the Champions League in the last twelve months, it’s a different world but I’d say in the Championship we could be looking at maybe 15-20 a season.

For comparison do you reckon James Collins (the striker, not the ginger defender) or Daniel Johnson, who are banging in a very decent 10-15ish Championship goals with Luton and Preston, could slot into a CL team?! Not a chance. IMHO you’re being much too harsh on a fairly new signing.

Being in a CL team isn't really a mark of quality tbh. The variation in quality is massive and you could make a case that the Belgium league isn't even Championship level

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm genuinely baffled at how Villa fans can go from

"Looks the real deal"

"So much better than Wesley"

"A real striker"

"What a bargain"

" When he settles we will have some player on our hands"

To

"Absolute dog shit"

Within weeks.

Villa fans in a nutshell.

Because he did look good when he first came in. And part of it was probably because some of us were desperate to see him succeed to show how much better he was than Wesley. I'll admit, I was one of them.

That said, he has been absolute dog shit this last couple of weeks, at a time where we really need our strikers to not be absolute dog shit. Whether he'll improve eventually, its too soon to tell. But the early signs are not looking good.

I genuinely think Wesley is better than him at this point, although not by much.

• Like 1

Samatta should stay if/when we go down, the gap in quality in the championship might help him settle into life in England. I can see him improving in the championship and scoring around the 10 - 12 mark, if we can actually get some decent crosses into him. I’d hope that we sign a new striker, because as much as Samatta, Wesley and Davis all have some potential, we will need goals from the off. 

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Because he did look good when he first came in. And part of it was probably because some of us were desperate to see him succeed to show how much better he was than Wesley. I'll admit, I was one of them.

That said, he has been absolute dog shit this last couple of weeks, at a time where we really need our strikers to not be absolute dog shit. Whether he'll improve eventually, its too soon to tell. But the early signs are not looking good.

I genuinely think Wesley is better than him at this point, although not by much.

I think mostly if he gets back to full fitness will be devastating in the championship. I just think he’s one of those pies that needs a good bedding down and settling in period, pretty much like JPA did

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he’s shown some quality, he’s very brave and strong in the air, to coin a phrase he’ll put his head in where others wouldn’t put their feet. He has pedigree, he’s scored in the Champions League against Liverpool and we only paid a reported £8.5m for him, some posters seem to not rate him, I’m not one of them

I think it's just his strength he needs to work on for this League. As I said my Tanzanian mate thought that would be the only issue he would have.

Again though, because of our "budget", we have had to make do with "Almost" players, ones we can improve and strengthen, not the full package.

So we need to be patient.

On 14/07/2020 at 10:40, Enda said:

Both those mentioned would cut it in the Belgium league like Samatta it's dog shit! 

Â