Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

19 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Not going to write him off but he's been pretty poor so far. I think a lot of fans got carried away when we signed him, he looked relatively lively and scored a decent header in the cup final but looks far from Premier League quality.

I hope, like with all our players, that they find form and prove me wrong but not seeing much evidence that he's got it in his locker.

Dropping down a division is a level they will probably all flourish.

• Like 1

Hanging a relegation battle on a 27 year old who has never played in a proper league before.
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but bloody hell.

He is a million miles away from the level. Understandably. Just doesn't have the ability or the experience and at 27 he isn't exactly going to develop too much. It's terrible business.

I say it again we would have been better off keeping Kodjia or as I said at the time getting in Glenn Murray or Sturridge or any other journeyman on a short term.

....because dropping €10m on a striker nobody wanted to touch when he had a release clause is not it. Not even close at this level. Amateur hour.
Every club in Europe probably looked at him, looked at his "cheap" release clause and not even considered it. 3 weeks into the window, not a sniff of competition and we never thought to question......are we wrong and every single club in Europe has the right idea on this one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Hanging a relegation battle on a 27 year old who has never played in a proper league before.
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but bloody hell.

He is a million miles away from the level. Understandably. Just doesn't have the ability or the experience and at 27 he isn't exactly going to develop too much. It's terrible business.

I say it again we would have been better off keeping Kodjia or as I said at the time getting in Glenn Murray or Sturridge or any other journeyman on a short term.

....because dropping €10m on a striker nobody wanted to touch when he had a release clause is not it. Not even close at this level. Amateur hour.
Every club in Europe probably looked at him, looked at his "cheap" release clause and not even considered it. 3 weeks into the window, not a sniff of competition and we never thought to question......are we wrong and every single club in Europe has the right idea on this one.

What if Murray or Sturridge didn't want to come? What if they got injured on the first day of training? 

Please refer to your second sentence. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

What if Murray or Sturridge didn't want to come? What if they got injured on the first day of training? 

Please refer to your second sentence. 

Then we wouldnt have spunked 10m on Samatta still?  Those were just two names off the top of my head. I presume we should have better contacts in the game but obviously not.

What if Samma had got injured?

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Then we wouldnt have spunked 10m on Samatta still?  Those were just two names off the top of my head. I presume we should have better contacts in the game but obviously not.

No, we'd have been lumbered paying the bones of that in a contract/signing on fee to Sturridge and Murray's old and can't create chances out of nothing either. 

The problem we had was the 10mil. It's not enough to get you a player who is guaranteed to be any good these days, and when you have to replace an entire squad with that much per player, of course it's going to be hard. 

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

From what I’ve seen I thought he is injured

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We went into the season extremely light up front. We put all our hopes on an unknown kid from the Belgian league and an injury prone kid who still is yet to score in the PL. We bought him and crossed our fingers that he’d be a PL goal scorer almost like Benteke had been. Then in January when we were already in trouble and our great hope was injured we went out and bought another bloke who’d never kicked a ball in the PL and expected him to save us. Where was the Darren Bent type signing? Did any of us seriously believe, except with the eternal optimism of a football fan that this signing was going to make a difference?

Makes you wonder who is running this shambolic show. 

We had a senior striker but he couldn't be arsed when he came off the bench

39 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No, we'd have been lumbered paying the bones of that in a contract/signing on fee to Sturridge and Murray's old and can't create chances out of nothing either. 

The problem we had was the 10mil. It's not enough to get you a player who is guaranteed to be any good these days, and when you have to replace an entire squad with that much per player, of course it's going to be hard. 

That's fair and true. If you haven't got the money to go pay down for a decent striker though, dont just chuck 10m on an absolute punt.  That is why I would have went for a short term hit personally.

I see him as another Hogan. He has nothing to his game and we are gonna be saddled with him. Another one.

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

That's fair and true. If you haven't got the money to go pay down for a decent striker though, dont just chuck 10m on an absolute punt.  That is why I would have went for a short term hit personally.

I see him as another Hogan. He has nothing to his game and we are gonna be saddled with him. Another one.

We had to do something tbf - Wesley was out for the season, KD has a dodgy track record when it comes to injuries and that's all we really had. 

It was always going to be a dice roll, unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Another one we stupidly let go of when replacing him with nothing better.

I can count several good actions and passages of play by Samatta in each game he has played, has only scored a couple though, which I think largly isn't his fault as he hasn't had much to work on. I can hardly count any good actions or anything at all Kodjia did in the games he played this season. Samatta has been much better than Kodjia imo. 

13 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I can count several good actions and passages of play by Samatta in each game he has played, has only scored a couple though, which I think largly isn't his fault as he hasn't had much to work on. I can hardly count any good actions or anything at all Kodjia did in the games he played this season. Samatta has been much better than Kodjia imo. 

I felt for Kodja as he was very good for us and scored some vital goals for us in his time here, there was a good striker in there.

Premier League quality and experience? Perhaps not, but when you're playing up top as a lone striker then it was perhaps why he looked as shit as what our current 3 strikers are looking now.

Equally neither of the new strikers had any more PL experience than Kodja.

He should have been given a season with us in the PL but what's done is done.

Hopefully Samatta and Wesley can tear up the championship if we find ourselves there in a couple of weeks.

On 10/07/2020 at 10:17, Bazmonkey said:

like Wesley and the hammering he gets.

Do we create loads of chances for him...no

Does he get protection and support from midefield….no

Does he have to deal with long balls and 100 mph balls played in to him....yes

Is he always surrounded by 2..maybe 3 defenders.....yes.

I'd say the issue with the team around him.

If we were creating sitters for him every game and he misses them...then fine...he is poor....but lets look at how we play first before we say he's poor

He has missed good chances. 

And while we don't create loads, at this level a forward also needs to be able to create a chance for himself every so often. 

This is something both him and wesley really lack. 

Â